Ulead Newbie Questions: Format,Startup Help...

Hello,

I'm a Videostudio 7 (incl. SP 7.01 ) Newbie and just did some testing before
I will receive my DigiCam hopefully in the next days. The problems I have
are the following:

1.) Tried to load a *mpg file (not self recorded, but a trailer from the
internet) then an error msg. occured "File does not contain any video data"
but this file runs properly with Windows Media Player. And also I can load
the VS7 - Sample *mpg file. Is there a difference between *mpg files/fomats?

2.) Tried to load an *avi file then the whole programm crashed with "Windows
General Protection Error" ? Is is possible to load *avi files, are there
also differences between files/formats? What I'm doing wrong?

3.) Are there any Quick References / Startup Tips: a) how to create the
first video on CD b) how to get analog VHS files to CD? Because I try to
prevent to go through 150 PDF pages of the manual.

Thanks for any help and best regards,

Sascha

> 3.) Are there any Quick References / Startup Tips: a) how to create the
> first video on CD b) how to get analog VHS files to CD? Because I try to
> prevent to go through 150 PDF pages of the manual.

I have come across a very easy to follow tutorials on Ulead Video
Studio 7 in these links that were posted here not so long ago:

http://www.jonesgroup.net/videostudiodvcaptureone.htm
http://www.jonesgroup.net/videostudiodvdstepone.htm

That should be good enough to save video onto a CD. As of the way to
get VHS into CD, in theory we can connect the VCR into a digital
camcorder and use the pass through feature in the digital camcorder to
digitize the video and send the digitized video through the firewire
line to your PC. This is the theory. But I never get this to work
(this is also mentioned in the link mentioned above). I end up doing
this in two steps: First digitize the video from VCR into a digital
camcorder and save into a miniDV tape. Then get the digitized video
from miniDV tape through firewire into the PC.

Other people suggest using a video capture card that can convert
analog video directly into digital. I don't want to spend the money to
buy that card; therefore, I end up using the 2-steps approach
mentioned above.

Hope this helps.

Jay Chan

Jay,

thank you for your prompt reply and the links below! I will test it a.s.a.p

Sascha