DVD-R

Hi there,
iv recently bought some DVD-R disks to copy some movies 4.7GB DVD-R
Recordable discs,
1st question do the disks have to be formatted 1st if so how do i do
this,and what is a good program to use to do this on.
2nd question the disc is not reconised in any of my drives inc:DVD Rom and
when i click properties it says theres no disk space is this because there
not formatted yet?
thanks for any help,
9 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    "lukawa" <lukawa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    > iv recently bought some DVD-R disks to copy some movies 4.7GB DVD-R
    > Recordable discs,
    > 1st question do the disks have to be formatted 1st if so how do i do
    > this,and what is a good program to use to do this on.
    > 2nd question the disc is not reconised in any of my drives inc:DVD Rom
    > and
    > when i click properties it says theres no disk space is this because
    > there
    > not formatted yet?
    > thanks for any help,

    Do you have a DVD burner or just a DVD-ROM drive?

    --
    Ian.

    i have a dvd rom drive and cdr but trying to burn useing "nero"

    "Ionizer" wrote:

    > "lukawa" <lukawa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi there,
    > > iv recently bought some DVD-R disks to copy some movies 4.7GB DVD-R
    > > Recordable discs,
    > > 1st question do the disks have to be formatted 1st if so how do i do
    > > this,and what is a good program to use to do this on.
    > > 2nd question the disc is not reconised in any of my drives inc:DVD Rom
    > > and
    > > when i click properties it says theres no disk space is this because
    > > there
    > > not formatted yet?
    > > thanks for any help,
    >
    > Do you have a DVD burner or just a DVD-ROM drive?
    >
    > --
    > Ian.

    You need a DVD burner to write onto DVD-R disks. DVD rom drive can only read
    from dvds. CDR can only write to CDs

    --
    Rehan
    www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows Movie Maker

    >i have a dvd rom drive and cdr but trying to burn useing "nero"
    >
    > "Ionizer" wrote:
    >
    >> "lukawa" <lukawa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi there,
    >> > iv recently bought some DVD-R disks to copy some movies 4.7GB DVD-R
    >> > Recordable discs,
    >> > 1st question do the disks have to be formatted 1st if so how do i do
    >> > this,and what is a good program to use to do this on.
    >> > 2nd question the disc is not reconised in any of my drives inc:DVD Rom
    >> > and
    >> > when i click properties it says theres no disk space is this because
    >> > there
    >> > not formatted yet?
    >> > thanks for any help,
    >>
    >> Do you have a DVD burner or just a DVD-ROM drive?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ian.

    Cdr can read and write. :)

    "Rehan" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    > You need a DVD burner to write onto DVD-R disks. DVD rom drive can only
    read
    > from dvds. CDR can only write to CDs
    >
    > --
    > Rehan
    > www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows Movie Maker
    >

    > "lukawa" <lukawa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >i have a dvd rom drive and cdr but trying to burn useing "nero"
    > >
    > > "Ionizer" wrote:
    > >
    > >> "lukawa" <lukawa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    Rom

    > >> Do you have a DVD burner or just a DVD-ROM drive?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ian.

    CDR can only read, a burnner can read and write.

    "lukawa" <lukawa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > i have a dvd rom drive and cdr but trying to burn useing "nero"
    >
    > "Ionizer" wrote:
    >
    > > "lukawa" <lukawa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi there,
    > > > iv recently bought some DVD-R disks to copy some movies 4.7GB DVD-R
    > > > Recordable discs,
    > > > 1st question do the disks have to be formatted 1st if so how do i do
    > > > this,and what is a good program to use to do this on.
    > > > 2nd question the disc is not reconised in any of my drives inc:DVD Rom
    > > > and
    > > > when i click properties it says theres no disk space is this because
    > > > there
    > > > not formatted yet?
    > > > thanks for any help,
    > >
    > > Do you have a DVD burner or just a DVD-ROM drive?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ian.

    "Shaun" <snoggle@myvine.com> wrote in message
    (Top-posting corrected)
    >> "Rehan" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    >> You need a DVD burner to write onto DVD-R disks. DVD rom drive can only
    > read
    >> from dvds. CDR can only write to CDs

    > Cdr can read and write. :)

    Please tell us how to write to DVD-R with a CD burner. We await your
    revolutionary insights with great curiosity.

    --
    Ian.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Don't understand your post Ian, nobody has said that a cd burner can burn
    dvds, unless you think Rehan when he said cdr can read and write suggested
    dvd's. I took it he was just implying a cd-r can read and write cd's and not
    just read them as the previous poster said :)

    Graham
    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    CDR can only write to CDs

    > > Cdr can read and write. :)
    >
    > Please tell us how to write to DVD-R with a CD burner. We await your
    > revolutionary insights with great curiosity.
    >
    > --
    > Ian.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    "Graham Hughes" <graham.hughes@dvds2treasure.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Don't understand your post Ian, nobody has said that a cd burner can
    > burn
    > dvds, unless you think Rehan when he said cdr can read and write
    > suggested
    > dvd's. I took it he was just implying a cd-r can read and write cd's and
    > not
    > just read them as the previous poster said :)

    Hi, Graham:

    The OP is inquiring about copying DVD movies to DVD-R: "iv recently
    bought some DVD-R disks to copy some movies 4.7GB DVD-R
    Recordable discs." We seem to have established that the major roadblock
    to this process is that he doesn't have a DVD burner: "i have a dvd rom
    drive and cdr but trying to burn useing "nero""

    Rehan has observed, and quite correctly as far as I know: "You need a DVD
    burner to write onto DVD-R disks."

    Shaun has responded, in two separate posts, to the problem the OP is
    having burning to DVD-R by informing us: "Cdr can read and write. :)" and,
    just to really clarify his stance: "CDR can only read, a burnner can read
    and write." The complete absence of a DVD burner on the OP's system is
    apparently not an obstacle to burning DVDs according to Shaun, which is
    what prompted my question.

    Regards,
    Ian.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    ; )

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media