Sonic MyDVD - Chapter menu question

This is the second time I've run into this problem, it's time I got some
advice from the experts.

I import a movie (.mpg format) into the project. I can then add/edit the
chapters and create menu buttons for those chapters on a submenu, and the
submenu button appears on the top menu. No problem there.

What I want however, is functionality similar to commercial DVDs, where I
can have a "Play Movie" button on the top menu along with a "Scene
Selections" button. Unfortunately, once I break down the main movie into
chapters, I can't find a way to either:
1. Add a play movie button on the top menu
or
2. Move the first chapter button to the top menu

Either of these solutions would give me the functionality I want, but both
appear impossible (given my present level of knowledge).

(With the previous project, I could get around it by simply importing the
mpg twice & handling them as separate movies, but this one is too big to do
that, so I need a more elegant solution.)

Does anyone else do this? How?

TIA,
Joe F.
3 answers Last reply
More about sonic mydvd chapter menu question

    For what it is worth, I made my first DVD (about an hour long) on an
    old Pentium Pro 333Mhz computer, so I had no choice but to break it up
    into several chapters to stay within the 2 gig size limit (before
    rendering to MPEG-2).

    However, I discovered a command (this has been so long ago that I
    don't remember the details) that enabled "play through". Thus, the
    first button, labeled something like Introduction, when selected would
    play continuously through the entire video. I verified this last
    night when I got home from work by playing it on my computer DVD
    burner. I did experience a momentary pause in picture and sound as it
    moved from one chapter to the next, but that could be from the
    limitations of the 333 Mhz CPU.

    Had I named that button "play movie", rather than "introduction" it
    would have played the same, with only the button names changed to
    protect the innocent ;-)

    I did not have time to start with the second chapter and see if it
    would also "play through" to the end starting at any given chapter,
    but that doesn't seem like an important issue.

    The main point is that the first button on the first screen did not
    have to say "Chapter 1", even though it WAS the button to launch
    chapter 1, since "play through" had been enabled. The second button
    still said "Chapter 2" and played chapter 2.

    Hope this helps.

    PS: I now use Vegas 4+DVDA on a dual Xeon 2.4 Ghz computer with Win
    2K, 2GB of memory and no file size limit, so all of these issues are
    now behind me.

    "mikep76" <sandyprice@msn.com> wrote in message
    > For what it is worth, I made my first DVD (about an hour long) on an
    > old Pentium Pro 333Mhz computer, so I had no choice but to break it up
    > into several chapters to stay within the 2 gig size limit (before
    > rendering to MPEG-2).

    Thanks. I'll give that a shot. I had thought about that when I was
    creating the movie, but it would have screwed up the timing of the titles &
    a few other things. With the movie already rendered, though, it would be
    relatively simple to break up the finished mpeg. I'll give that some effort
    & see if it works out. I'll post the results.

    Tx,
    Joe F.

    "rb608" <fleischman608@NOSPAMverizon.net> wrote in message
    > I'll give that some effort
    > & see if it works out. I'll post the results.

    Well, it didn't work very well. Although the individual segments *did* play
    back-to-back, there was an unacceptable discontinuity as the movie played
    between clips. OTOH, I did come up with a variation that did work
    acceptably:

    I made a one-second movie of a still shot and pasted it to the beginning.
    There's still that discontinuity; but there's no audio component and it's
    far less noticeable/objectionable in the still. I get the "play movie"
    button that begins with that short clip, then the "Chapters" button uses the
    large mpg. Works for me.

    Joe F.

Tuner Cards Movies Desktops Graphics