Movie Maker Output Quality

First off, apologies if this has already been covered - just couldnt find it
:) We are running XP Pro SP2 and having just bought a good digital camera to
take on holiday, have discovered MovieMaker. The problem is the finished
output quality is VERY poor. Imported images are between 5-8 meg (from
camera) or 50-150K from other sources, but when run in the program, look like
they have been shot through tissue paper - nothing is clear. We are off on
holiday soon, and would like to do some DVD's of our holiday snaps on return.
Is there a patch or update for this.

Cheers from Down Under
--
OZ

When capturing from the cam, you need to choose dv-avi file format, it
sounds like you may be opting for a wmv file format.
When viewing this file in MM it will look poorer than it really is as it is
only displayed as a preview, running at low res and 15fps.
When saving your editied movie you again need to save it as a dv-avi file,
not a wmv.
Then to make your dvd you will need to buy a decent dvd authoring app.
Generally the more you pay the better quality you will get.

Have a good holiday!!

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Antipodean Newbie" <AntipodeanNewbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:73B35CD9-C1D5-4690-A04A-432BC46B6C84@microsoft.com...
> First off, apologies if this has already been covered - just couldnt find
it
> :) We are running XP Pro SP2 and having just bought a good digital camera
> take on holiday, have discovered MovieMaker. The problem is the finished
> output quality is VERY poor. Imported images are between 5-8 meg (from
> camera) or 50-150K from other sources, but when run in the program, look
like
> they have been shot through tissue paper - nothing is clear. We are off on
> holiday soon, and would like to do some DVD's of our holiday snaps on
return.
> Is there a patch or update for this.
>
> Cheers from Down Under
> --
> OZ

Hi...
Thanks for the reply, but this isnt the problem. The issue
is for still images. No matter where the source is,
digital cam stills or other scanned or downloaded images,
the result is still the same - rubbish!! Everything is
blurry and looks to be shot through gauze. Very
distracting. Any thoughts anybody??

A N

Sorry, so used to dealing with moving images, I suppose I could have guessed
that if I'd tried!!
MM is not really a still image processor, it resizes the images in a poor
way to fit the screen. If you wish to use MM then use a photo image editor,
such as PAint, photoshop etc to resize the images. General consensus is to
size in a 4.3 ratio so around 640x480, but you may try the tv resolution you
have PAL? 720x576, or often 768x576 works well and see which you prefer.
Alternatively you can use photostory 3, free download from M/S, which is for
still images, it proceses them better and leaves a far superior result.

Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media