Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Adaptec VideOh! PCI AVC-2010 SUCS!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 1:09:28 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I purchased video capture card Adaptec VideOh! PCI AVC-2010. Card
comes with MyDVD and ShowBiz software. I tried to use it with
SageRecorder, Window Movie Maker or Roxio - nothing worked except the
original programs. Here is an email I got from Adaptec:

"Unfortunately, our device will not work with any other software suite
except for the ones come bundled with the package. The drivers have
been 'geared' to work only with MyDVD and will only capture using
these software packages. Other programs may see the capture device but
will not work with it. The drivers and software are proprietary in
that sense.".
So unless you are absolutly sure that MyDVD is the best sotware in the
world - don't buy this card.

Zalek
May 13, 2004 1:45:21 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Zalek Bloom <ZalekBloom@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<2o45a0pd597qd6eqf46kl7gqu1ja3mcbkn@4ax.com>...
> I purchased video capture card Adaptec VideOh! PCI AVC-2010. Card
> comes with MyDVD and ShowBiz software. I tried to use it with
> SageRecorder, Window Movie Maker or Roxio - nothing worked except the
> original programs. Here is an email I got from Adaptec:
>
> "Unfortunately, our device will not work with any other software suite
> except for the ones come bundled with the package. The drivers have
> been 'geared' to work only with MyDVD and will only capture using
> these software packages. Other programs may see the capture device but
> will not work with it. The drivers and software are proprietary in
> that sense.".
> So unless you are absolutly sure that MyDVD is the best sotware in the
> world - don't buy this card.
>
> Zalek

You only have to capture in an Adaptec approved program (yes, the list
is short). Do all your editing and authoring in just about anything
else.

I capture with Movie Mill 2, trim the clips with VideoReDo, do NLE
with Puremotion's Edit Studio, and make SVCDs with VCDEasy. I don't
have a DVD burner yet, but there is no reason why I won't be able to
move to DVD-Lab when I do.

Eric
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 3:12:29 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Eric" <byteguy@lanset.com> wrote in message
news:1df81b59.0405130845.49a9e5c9@posting.google.com...
> Zalek Bloom <ZalekBloom@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:<2o45a0pd597qd6eqf46kl7gqu1ja3mcbkn@4ax.com>...
> > I purchased video capture card Adaptec VideOh! PCI AVC-2010. Card
> > comes with MyDVD and ShowBiz software. I tried to use it with
> > SageRecorder, Window Movie Maker or Roxio - nothing worked except the
> > original programs. Here is an email I got from Adaptec:
> >
> > "Unfortunately, our device will not work with any other software suite
> > except for the ones come bundled with the package. The drivers have
> > been 'geared' to work only with MyDVD and will only capture using
> > these software packages. Other programs may see the capture device but
> > will not work with it. The drivers and software are proprietary in
> > that sense.".
> > So unless you are absolutly sure that MyDVD is the best sotware in the
> > world - don't buy this card.
> >
> > Zalek
>
> You only have to capture in an Adaptec approved program (yes, the list
> is short). Do all your editing and authoring in just about anything
> else.
>
> I capture with Movie Mill 2, trim the clips with VideoReDo, do NLE
> with Puremotion's Edit Studio, and make SVCDs with VCDEasy. I don't
> have a DVD burner yet, but there is no reason why I won't be able to
> move to DVD-Lab when I do.
>
> Eric

Interesting, I know that "Snazzi*" like "Adaptec" switched to a
"Conexant"
based chipset and that "V-one Multimedia" supplies "Movie Mill" to
"Snazzi*". Is the 'MovieMill 2" you mention working on an AVC-2010 ?
Is the "MovieMill 2" identified with a version numbering system different
from
the older "Movie Mill" (like the one I use with my AVC-2000, version
2.0.260?)

It's strange how some people have so many problems, and others have none.
In the case of these boards, the supplied software has been almost
universally
condemned as dragging down a very good (for the price) board. It's also
strange
that these manufactures stopped making an excellent design based on the same
chipset used by TiVo for their Series 2 boxes. I have no idea what
advantages
may have been expected from the switch to the Conexant chipset.

Luck;
Ken
Related resources
May 14, 2004 2:32:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<40a44725$0$17256$a32e20b9@news.nntpservers.com>...
>
> Interesting, I know that "Snazzi*" like "Adaptec" switched to a
> "Conexant"
> based chipset and that "V-one Multimedia" supplies "Movie Mill" to
> "Snazzi*". Is the 'MovieMill 2" you mention working on an AVC-2010 ?
> Is the "MovieMill 2" identified with a version numbering system different
> from
> the older "Movie Mill" (like the one I use with my AVC-2000, version
> 2.0.260?)
>
> It's strange how some people have so many problems, and others have none.
> In the case of these boards, the supplied software has been almost
> universally
> condemned as dragging down a very good (for the price) board. It's also
> strange
> that these manufactures stopped making an excellent design based on the same
> chipset used by TiVo for their Series 2 boxes. I have no idea what
> advantages
> may have been expected from the switch to the Conexant chipset.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

I think my board uses the older chipset. The box doesn't give any
indication and I just haven't got around to re-opening my computer to
look at the board. But, references to the 2010 didn't show up until
about two months after I got mine.

Yes, V-One makes my Movie Mill 2. I had trouble with my computer just
after I installed Showbiz (turns out it was from something else) so
the Adaptec tech pointed me to that download as an alternative. All
it does is capture which is fine with me.

Eric
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 9:20:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Eric" <byteguy@lanset.com> wrote in message
news:1df81b59.0405140932.683aed0c@posting.google.com...
> "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:<40a44725$0$17256$a32e20b9@news.nntpservers.com>...
> >
> > Interesting, I know that "Snazzi*" like "Adaptec" switched to a
> > "Conexant"
> > based chipset and that "V-one Multimedia" supplies "Movie Mill" to
> > "Snazzi*". Is the 'MovieMill 2" you mention working on an AVC-2010 ?
> > Is the "MovieMill 2" identified with a version numbering system
different
> > from
> > the older "Movie Mill" (like the one I use with my AVC-2000, version
> > 2.0.260?)
> >
> > It's strange how some people have so many problems, and others have
none.
> > In the case of these boards, the supplied software has been almost
> > universally
> > condemned as dragging down a very good (for the price) board. It's also
> > strange
> > that these manufactures stopped making an excellent design based on the
same
> > chipset used by TiVo for their Series 2 boxes. I have no idea what
> > advantages
> > may have been expected from the switch to the Conexant chipset.
> >
> > Luck;
> > Ken
>
> I think my board uses the older chipset. The box doesn't give any
> indication and I just haven't got around to re-opening my computer to
> look at the board. But, references to the 2010 didn't show up until
> about two months after I got mine.
>
> Yes, V-One makes my Movie Mill 2. I had trouble with my computer just
> after I installed Showbiz (turns out it was from something else) so
> the Adaptec tech pointed me to that download as an alternative. All
> it does is capture which is fine with me.
>
> Eric

What "Capture Device" is listed when you go to setup in MovieMill ?
Mine is listed as "Adaptec AVC-2000 Device". Also the device manager
in Windows will have something under "Sound, video and game controllers".

Luck;
Ken
!