DV-AVI is compressed. I believe it is in the region of 5.1.
It is the std used for recording to minidv tapes, and if you save to your
computer as a dv-avi and then save your movie as a dv-avi you will not
compress it any more. If you add transitions then theoretically you will
lose a small amount of quality, but I doubt you will ever be able to tell it
is so very very small.
When you encode to mpeg2 for dvd this will use about 20.1 compression.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media