what's the deal with steam

BigJim

When I am done playing HL2 the system is sluggish. I am running 1 gig of
memory and a 2.6 P4 with a 6600gt. It is the only game that does this so I
figured it must be steam.

BigJim wrote:
> When I am done playing HL2 the system is sluggish. I am running 1 gig of
> memory and a 2.6 P4 with a 6600gt. It is the only game that does this so I
> figured it must be steam.

Beats me
Take a peak in taskmanager and find the offending processes?

- Peter

"BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> When I am done playing HL2 the system is sluggish. I am running 1 gig of
> memory and a 2.6 P4 with a 6600gt. It is the only game that does this so I
> figured it must be steam.

HL2 will grab as much of your free RAM as it can get while it is running.
The more you have the more it will take, and the longer it takes to release
it. I have 1gig also, and you just have to wait till it lets it all go.

Bob

"rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in message

> "BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> When I am done playing HL2 the system is sluggish. I am running 1 gig of
>> memory and a 2.6 P4 with a 6600gt. It is the only game that does this so
>> I figured it must be steam.
>>

> HL2 will grab as much of your free RAM as it can get while it is running.
> The more you have the more it will take, and the longer it takes to
> release it. I have 1gig also, and you just have to wait till it lets it
> all go.
>

> Bob

You must wait to let it go. Can you wait?

It is a big step to let things go. (Set it free)

Andrew

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:39:32 -0400, "BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>When I am done playing HL2 the system is sluggish. I am running 1 gig of
>memory and a 2.6 P4 with a 6600gt. It is the only game that does this so I
>figured it must be steam.

That is while the resources HL2 uses are released after playing,
nothing to do with Steam.

BigJim

well thanks for the info, I can wait and it is also good not to be alone.

"W????n" <???????@???????.gov> wrote in message

> "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> When I am done playing HL2 the system is sluggish. I am running 1 gig of
>>> memory and a 2.6 P4 with a 6600gt. It is the only game that does this so
>>> I figured it must be steam.
>>>

>> HL2 will grab as much of your free RAM as it can get while it is running.
>> The more you have the more it will take, and the longer it takes to
>> release it. I have 1gig also, and you just have to wait till it lets it
>> all go.
>>

>> Bob
>>

> You must wait to let it go. Can you wait?
>
> It is a big step to let things go. (Set it free)

On 6/30/2005 9:04 PM BigJim brightened our day with:

>well thanks for the info, I can wait and it is also good not to be alone.

Try playing Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines (a source engine game),
it's even worse unhooking itself.

--
"I don't feel tardy"

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

Nick wrote:

> I prefer to wait alone so that I can read my book and listen to music.

A good book and a cognac in the evening is an excellent option

But I still prefer some very human activities with my beloved wife :]

- Peter

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Nick wrote:
>>
>> I prefer to wait alone so that I can read my book and listen to music.
>
> A good book and a cognac in the evening is an excellent option
>
> But I still prefer some very human activities with my beloved wife :]

Ah yes, I know what you mean, my fine feathered friend! Gardening can be marvellous if you can get
your wife to do all the heavy lifting!

Player1

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2002

Nick wrote:
> "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Nick wrote:
>>
>>>I prefer to wait alone so that I can read my book and listen to music.
>>
>>A good book and a cognac in the evening is an excellent option
>>
>>But I still prefer some very human activities with my beloved wife :]
>

> Ah yes, I know what you mean, my fine feathered friend! Gardening can be marvellous if you can get
> your wife to do all the heavy lifting!

I remember when I was alone with some creamed corn and a stick of margarine.

Ah, those were the days!

The deal? I believe you have to pay your toll, sell your soul, indeed,
pound for pound, it costs more than gold...

--
Wildy

"WildStyle24_7" <wildstyle247@gmail.com> wrote
> The deal? I believe you have to pay your toll, sell your soul, indeed,
> pound for pound, it costs more than gold...

Buddum buddum buddumbuddum... Base!

-\o/-
David
davidfirewater(a)hotmail.com

I was strolling through alt.games.half-life one day, when suddenly
David Firewater surprised me by leaping from a nearby hedge.
As I levelled my service revolver, the unfortunate creature cried out;

> Buddum buddum buddumbuddum... Base!

Oooooo - white!

etc

(Shall we do "Hip Hop, Don't Stop" next then...?)
--
WildStyle24_7
"Person A: I'm positing something.

I was strolling through alt.games.half-life one day, when suddenly
David Firewater surprised me by leaping from a nearby hedge.
As I levelled my service revolver, the unfortunate creature cried out;

> Buddum buddum buddumbuddum... Base!

Oooooo - white!

etc

(Shall we do "Hip Hop, Don't Stop" next then...?)

--

"Sykes' instructions were long, complicated and hard to remember,
but each of them ended in the phrase 'and then kick him in the