Cutting Video Audio wav

I have downloaded a video clip where the audio is so heavy it nearly blows
my PC apart...
Please forgive my wording but I have removed audio and saved as a wav file
.......and used CoollEdit to cut it ....but it clips the wav....
Is there a program that reduces the strength of an audio file without
clipping it...If you get what I mean?

Thanks Ron NZ.

cory

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

well is the audio just really loud or is it actually distorted? if you're
hearing it distorted, is the distortion in the actual file or is it because
of the loud volume coming through your speakers?
//cory

"Waitoki" <murihikukid@clear.net.nz> wrote in message
> I have downloaded a video clip where the audio is so heavy it nearly blows
> my PC apart...
> Please forgive my wording but I have removed audio and saved as a wav file
> ......and used CoollEdit to cut it ....but it clips the wav....
> Is there a program that reduces the strength of an audio file without
> clipping it...If you get what I mean?
>
> Thanks Ron NZ.

>I have downloaded a video clip where the audio is so heavy it nearly blows
>my PC apart...
>Please forgive my wording but I have removed audio and saved as a wav file
>......and used CoollEdit to cut it ....but it clips the wav....
>Is there a program that reduces the strength of an audio file without
>clipping it...If you get what I mean?
>
>Thanks Ron NZ.

Does the wave form look clipped when you first load it into CoolEdit? If so,
then it is not CoolEdit that is doing it..the sound is "hot" because it is
already clipped. Some versions of CoolEdit have a function that attempts to fix
clipped waveforms...but it doesn't work very well, because sound originally
recorded at a level higher than the system's dynamic range is inherently
damaged. You loose all the information above the clipped level. Sometimes, you
can (in CoolEdit) manually re-shape the waveforms, to smooth out the sound, but
you can never restore the lost information.

On Thu, 13 May 2004 14:11:53 +1200, "Waitoki"
<murihikukid@clear.net.nz> wrote:

>I have downloaded a video clip where the audio is so heavy it nearly blows
>my PC apart...
>Please forgive my wording but I have removed audio and saved as a wav file
>......and used CoollEdit to cut it ....but it clips the wav....
>Is there a program that reduces the strength of an audio file without
>clipping it...If you get what I mean?

If the wave is seriously and continually clipped, there's not much you
can do about it. It's just a bad recording.

It isn't being clipped BY CoolEdit. The program is just displaying
the clipping in the wave.