How To Convert .DAT to MPEG

I have saved several funny .dat movie clips from MSN "Found" and want to send
them to my brother but can't find a way of converting them to MPEG, WMV or
some other type of file that is compatable with Windows Media Player. I have
tried using VCDGear to convert the files to MPEG but got an error saying it
could not find the MPEG Stream. I was later told that error message means
that the .dat file is not a regular Video CD (VCD) type of file.
Does anyone know how to convert these files? I wonder why Microsoft chose
to use the .dat format instead of something compatable with Media Player.
Thanks. Mike950

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 19:59:04 -0800, "Mike950"
<Mike950@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have saved several funny .dat movie clips from MSN "Found" and want to send
>them to my brother but can't find a way of converting them to MPEG, WMV or
>some other type of file that is compatable with Windows Media Player. I have
>tried using VCDGear to convert the files to MPEG but got an error saying it
>could not find the MPEG Stream. I was later told that error message means
>that the .dat file is not a regular Video CD (VCD) type of file.
>Does anyone know how to convert these files? I wonder why Microsoft chose
>to use the .dat format instead of something compatable with Media Player.
>Thanks. Mike950
just rename the files to *.mpg and see if they play in media player.
Dave

Thanks for the suggestion but renaming to .mpg doesn't help. Any other ideas?
Mike950

"da_test" wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 19:59:04 -0800, "Mike950"
> <Mike950@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have saved several funny .dat movie clips from MSN "Found" and want to send
> >them to my brother but can't find a way of converting them to MPEG, WMV or
> >some other type of file that is compatable with Windows Media Player. I have
> >tried using VCDGear to convert the files to MPEG but got an error saying it
> >could not find the MPEG Stream. I was later told that error message means
> >that the .dat file is not a regular Video CD (VCD) type of file.
> >Does anyone know how to convert these files? I wonder why Microsoft chose
> >to use the .dat format instead of something compatable with Media Player.
> >Thanks. Mike950
> just rename the files to *.mpg and see if they play in media player.
> Dave

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:41:04 -0800, "Mike950"
<Mike950@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the suggestion but renaming to .mpg doesn't help. Any other ideas?
>Mike950
>
>"da_test" wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 19:59:04 -0800, "Mike950"
>> <Mike950@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have saved several funny .dat movie clips from MSN "Found" and want to send
>> >them to my brother but can't find a way of converting them to MPEG, WMV or
>> >some other type of file that is compatable with Windows Media Player. I have
>> >tried using VCDGear to convert the files to MPEG but got an error saying it
>> >could not find the MPEG Stream. I was later told that error message means
>> >that the .dat file is not a regular Video CD (VCD) type of file.
>> >Does anyone know how to convert these files? I wonder why Microsoft chose
>> >to use the .dat format instead of something compatable with Media Player.
>> >Thanks. Mike950
>> just rename the files to *.mpg and see if they play in media player.
>> Dave

open the old media player (version 6.4) by typing mplayer2.exe
from the RUN box.
Open windows explorer and navigate to the DAT file.
Drag and drop it onto the media player. Does it play?

If it fails, I would contact MSN and ask them about their
file format.
Dave

..dat and .mpg are the same format.

renaming should have no effect on the "playability" of the file.

I have a video editor that will not accept .dat files, so I change the
extension to .mpg and it works fine.

Bobby

"da_test" <davexnet02NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:41:04 -0800, "Mike950"
> <Mike950@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Thanks for the suggestion but renaming to .mpg doesn't help. Any other
>>ideas?
>>Mike950
>>
>>"da_test" wrote:

>>> just rename the files to *.mpg and see if they play in media player.
>>> Dave
>>>
> open the old media player (version 6.4) by typing mplayer2.exe
> from the RUN box.
> Open windows explorer and navigate to the DAT file.
> Drag and drop it onto the media player. Does it play?
>
> If it fails, I would contact MSN and ask them about their
> file format.
> Dave

..dat video files are often encrypted so renaming them to anything doesn't
help.
www.coribright.com

"Mike950" <Mike950@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the suggestion but renaming to .mpg doesn't help. Any other
> ideas?
> Mike950
>
> "da_test" wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 19:59:04 -0800, "Mike950"
>> <Mike950@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have saved several funny .dat movie clips from MSN "Found" and want to
>> >send
>> >them to my brother but can't find a way of converting them to MPEG, WMV
>> >or
>> >some other type of file that is compatable with Windows Media Player. I
>> >have
>> >tried using VCDGear to convert the files to MPEG but got an error saying
>> >it
>> >could not find the MPEG Stream. I was later told that error message
>> >means
>> >that the .dat file is not a regular Video CD (VCD) type of file.
>> >Does anyone know how to convert these files? I wonder why Microsoft
>> >chose
>> >to use the .dat format instead of something compatable with Media
>> >Player.
>> >Thanks. Mike950
>> just rename the files to *.mpg and see if they play in media player.
>> Dave

Thanks Cari, I think your answer is probably correct. The .dat video clips
posted by MSN for their "Found" page are probably encrypted so they can't be
copied and forwarded. I can understand why. They want you to go to the
actual site for the advertising. I guess that's ok. They have to pay to
produce the series. Thanks for the help. Mike950

PS: I'm very sorry to hear about Alex Nichol. He has helped me out a
number of times on various topics for many years. His willingness to help
others will be remembered by many.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> ..dat video files are often encrypted so renaming them to anything doesn't
> help.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing & Imaging
> www.coribright.com
>
> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>
> "Mike950" <Mike950@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the suggestion but renaming to .mpg doesn't help. Any other
> > ideas?
> > Mike950
> >
> > "da_test" wrote:

> >> just rename the files to *.mpg and see if they play in media player.
> >> Dave

Raja

Distinguished
May 8, 2002

I can not import Avseq01.dat file of video into movie maker and therefore I
can not edit it. How can I convert it to such format that is acceptable to
movie maker.

Raja

"NoNoBadDog!" wrote:

> ..dat and .mpg are the same format.
>
> renaming should have no effect on the "playability" of the file.
>
> I have a video editor that will not accept .dat files, so I change the
> extension to .mpg and it works fine.
>
> Bobby
>
> "da_test" <davexnet02NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:41:04 -0800, "Mike950"
> > <Mike950@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Thanks for the suggestion but renaming to .mpg doesn't help. Any other
> >>ideas?
> >>Mike950

> > open the old media player (version 6.4) by typing mplayer2.exe
> > from the RUN box.
> > Open windows explorer and navigate to the DAT file.
> > Drag and drop it onto the media player. Does it play?
> >
> > If it fails, I would contact MSN and ask them about their
> > file format.
> > Dave

If you cannot import it, it is probably encrypted.
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"Raja" <Raja@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can not import Avseq01.dat file of video into movie maker and therefore I
> can not edit it. How can I convert it to such format that is acceptable to
> movie maker.
>
> Raja
>
> "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:
>
>> ..dat and .mpg are the same format.
>>
>> renaming should have no effect on the "playability" of the file.
>>
>> I have a video editor that will not accept .dat files, so I change the
>> extension to .mpg and it works fine.
>>
>> Bobby
>>
>> "da_test" <davexnet02NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

>> > open the old media player (version 6.4) by typing mplayer2.exe
>> > from the RUN box.
>> > Open windows explorer and navigate to the DAT file.
>> > Drag and drop it onto the media player. Does it play?
>> >
>> > If it fails, I would contact MSN and ask them about their
>> > file format.
>> > Dave

rehan

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004

Raja wrote:
> I can not import Avseq01.dat file of video into movie maker and therefore
> can not edit it. How can I convert it to such format that is acceptable to
> movie maker.

You need to convert the DAT to a suitable AVI format. Since it is for
editing the size of resultant AVI doesnt matter. Use Stoik Converter or
TMPGenc to open the dat file and save to an (preferably uncompressed) AVI
file.

--
Rehan
MS MVP -- Digital Media

"Raja" <Raja@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can not import Avseq01.dat file of video into movie maker and therefore I
> can not edit it. How can I convert it to such format that is acceptable to
> movie maker.
>
> Raja
>
> "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:
>
>> ..dat and .mpg are the same format.
>>
>> renaming should have no effect on the "playability" of the file.
>>
>> I have a video editor that will not accept .dat files, so I change the
>> extension to .mpg and it works fine.
>>
>> Bobby
>>
>> "da_test" <davexnet02NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

>> > open the old media player (version 6.4) by typing mplayer2.exe
>> > from the RUN box.
>> > Open windows explorer and navigate to the DAT file.
>> > Drag and drop it onto the media player. Does it play?
>> >
>> > If it fails, I would contact MSN and ask them about their
>> > file format.
>> > Dave

rehan

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004

> Use Stoik Converter or TMPGenc

Sorry I missed out the easiest option for this type of conversion:
VirtualDubMod http://virtualdubmod.sourceforge.net