Put Different Resolution/Bitrate Video Clips in One DVD?

I would like to know whether I can put video clips that are rendered
in different resolutions and bitrates into one DVD.

I am currently using Ulead Video Studio 7 SE to author DVD. One of the
process is to set the project properties, and has an option to keep
the video clips in their original format. This seems to be
contradictory to each other: If I am going to keep the video clips in
their original format, I should not need to set the resolution and
bitrate in the project properties, right? If I am going to set the
resolution and bitrate in the project properties, this seems to imply
that I want all the video clips to be conformed to the settings in the
project properties.

I would like to know that because I am doing a test to see which
resolution and bitrate should I choose for rendering some videos.
Because this is a test, I would like to make sure that I do the test
correctly. And also because this is a test, I would like to fit all
the video clips in one DVD; then I can quickly jump from one video
clip to another to see the difference.

Thanks in advance for any help in this issue.

Jay Chan

Jay Chan wrote:
> I would like to know whether I can put video clips that are rendered
> in different resolutions and bitrates into one DVD.
>
> I am currently using Ulead Video Studio 7 SE to author DVD. One of the
> process is to set the project properties, and has an option to keep
> the video clips in their original format. This seems to be
> contradictory to each other: If I am going to keep the video clips in
> their original format, I should not need to set the resolution and
> bitrate in the project properties, right? If I am going to set the
> resolution and bitrate in the project properties, this seems to imply
> that I want all the video clips to be conformed to the settings in the
> project properties.

DVD-Lab allows you to use source files of different bitrates and
resolutions on the same disc. It will complain about the latter saying
that some players may have trouble with the disc, but I haven't had any
problems.

I can't say what Video Studio will do, as I don't use the product.

-WD

On Thu, 13 May 2004 15:19:04 GMT, Will Dormann
<wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

>DVD-Lab allows you to use source files of different bitrates and
>resolutions on the same disc.

Different bitrates, of course. Now, about different resolutions, have
you done such a DVD _to the end_? I believe the standard allows it,
even PAL and NTSC on the same disc (at least, VCD 2.0 supports it, if
I'm well informed). Tmgpenc DVDAuthor allows it, as long as you put
them on different tracks. But it shall refuse to create a PAL/NTSC DVD
at the end, when it comes to create the actual VOBs. Very annoying, as
you find your former work gets wasted.

Bariloche wrote:

> On Thu, 13 May 2004 15:19:04 GMT, Will Dormann
> <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
>

>>DVD-Lab allows you to use source files of different bitrates and
>>resolutions on the same disc.
>

> Different bitrates, of course. Now, about different resolutions, have
> you done such a DVD _to the end_? I believe the standard allows it,
> even PAL and NTSC on the same disc (at least, VCD 2.0 supports it, if
> I'm well informed). Tmgpenc DVDAuthor allows it, as long as you put
> them on different tracks. But it shall refuse to create a PAL/NTSC DVD
> at the end, when it comes to create the actual VOBs. Very annoying, as
> you find your former work gets wasted.

I have created a DVD an burned it onto a DVD-RW. I think that counts
as "to the end"

I did it to compare Half D1 and Full D1 resolutions as viewed on a TV.
My Philips DVD-711 played the disc just fine.

-WD

> DVD-Lab allows you to use source files of different bitrates and
> resolutions on the same disc. It will complain about the latter saying
> that some players may have trouble with the disc, but I haven't had any
> problems.
>
> I can't say what Video Studio will do, as I don't use the product.

Seem like I am better off trying this in a DVD-RW or DVD+RW instead of
risking a DVD-R disk. In the worst case, I will have to use one
DVD+/-RW for each test case -- not good, but I will have to do what I
need to do. Oh well...

Jay Chan