authoring for stand alone dvd players

Jim

Hello. I've been using some DVD authoring programs to create my own DVD's
from digital films I've taken. I have found that when I get the program to
create the DVD folders on my hard drive, it works fine. I can watch the DVD
folder using Power DVD and I can then use a DVD burner program like Nero to
transfer the VIDEO-TS folder over to a blank DVD and that disk then works
fine on computers BUT...........
When I've tried to play the DVD's on STAND ALONE players they usually either
don't work, or partially work. The DVD will start playing at some point half
way through the disk rather than at the menu that I've created or the menu
buttons causes the wrong bit of film to be palyed. That kind of thing.

So to recap, what I'm doing is designing the DVD using a DVD authoring
program (uleads dvd workshop2) then when I render the dvd I get the program
to generate all the files on the hard drive. It does this automatically and
stores them in a folder called video_ts. This works fine on my computer BUT
when I transfer this video-ts folder and its contents over to a blank dvd,
the dvd refuses to work properly in many stand alone dvd players.
I've heard that you can't simply transfer the files from the hard drive
folder over to a blank dvd and expect it to work on dvd players because the
data has to be recorded on the disk at specific locations and the player is
geared to find the files at these locations??? Is this true??
Has anyone else experienced difficulty in getting original DVD's they have
designed themselves, that contain their own video footage (NOT illegal
copies of commercial films) to work on stand alone players and if so how
did they solve the problem and manage to design their own dvd's that will
play on stand alone dvd players aswell as computer dvd drives.
Thanks.

Jim wrote:
> Hello. I've been using some DVD authoring programs to create my own
> DVD's from digital films I've taken. I have found that when I get the
> program to create the DVD folders on my hard drive, it works fine. I
> can watch the DVD folder using Power DVD and I can then use a DVD
> burner program like Nero to transfer the VIDEO-TS folder over to a
> blank DVD and that disk then works fine on computers BUT...........
> When I've tried to play the DVD's on STAND ALONE players they usually
> either don't work, or partially work. The DVD will start playing at
> some point half way through the disk rather than at the menu that
> I've created or the menu buttons causes the wrong bit of film to be
> palyed. That kind of thing.
>
> So to recap, what I'm doing is designing the DVD using a DVD authoring
> program (uleads dvd workshop2) then when I render the dvd I get the
> program to generate all the files on the hard drive. It does this
> automatically and stores them in a folder called video_ts. This works
> fine on my computer BUT when I transfer this video-ts folder and its
> contents over to a blank dvd, the dvd refuses to work properly in
> many stand alone dvd players.
> I've heard that you can't simply transfer the files from the hard
> drive folder over to a blank dvd and expect it to work on dvd players
> because the data has to be recorded on the disk at specific locations
> and the player is geared to find the files at these locations??? Is
> this true??
> Has anyone else experienced difficulty in getting original DVD's they
> have designed themselves, that contain their own video footage (NOT
> illegal copies of commercial films) to work on stand alone players
> and if so how did they solve the problem and manage to design their
> own dvd's that will play on stand alone dvd players aswell as
> computer dvd drives.
> Thanks.

I do this all the time at work and home. I use DVD Architect to author and
create the files but use RecordNow Max for burning. No problems like yours
yet.
FWIW, DVD Architect creates both VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders. BTW, the
AUDIO_TS folder is always empty so you can create it yourself. Try this and
see if it solves your problem.

Mike

I use DVD Workshop 2 also. THere are many reason for the failure, but I
suggest you to check in the following order:
1. Can your DVD disc (not the folder) play fine with Power DVD?
2. When you use Nero to create a new burn, did you choose DVD Video? or just
DVD-ROM? It should be DVD Video.
3. Have you try to play your DVD disc on another standalone player?
4. Have you try with other brand of DVD disc?
5. Have you check with your DVD player maker whether it can read DVD+-
media?
Hope these help.

"Jim" <worldzone@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello. I've been using some DVD authoring programs to create my own DVD's
> from digital films I've taken. I have found that when I get the program to
> create the DVD folders on my hard drive, it works fine. I can watch the
DVD
> folder using Power DVD and I can then use a DVD burner program like Nero
> transfer the VIDEO-TS folder over to a blank DVD and that disk then works
> fine on computers BUT...........
> When I've tried to play the DVD's on STAND ALONE players they usually
either
> don't work, or partially work. The DVD will start playing at some point
half
> way through the disk rather than at the menu that I've created or the menu
> buttons causes the wrong bit of film to be palyed. That kind of thing.
>
> So to recap, what I'm doing is designing the DVD using a DVD authoring
> program (uleads dvd workshop2) then when I render the dvd I get the
program
> to generate all the files on the hard drive. It does this automatically
and
> stores them in a folder called video_ts. This works fine on my computer
BUT
> when I transfer this video-ts folder and its contents over to a blank dvd,
> the dvd refuses to work properly in many stand alone dvd players.
> I've heard that you can't simply transfer the files from the hard drive
> folder over to a blank dvd and expect it to work on dvd players because
the
> data has to be recorded on the disk at specific locations and the player
is
> geared to find the files at these locations??? Is this true??
> Has anyone else experienced difficulty in getting original DVD's they have
> designed themselves, that contain their own video footage (NOT illegal
> copies of commercial films) to work on stand alone players and if so how
> did they solve the problem and manage to design their own dvd's that will
> play on stand alone dvd players aswell as computer dvd drives.
> Thanks.

Jim

"Sender" <sender@happy.net> wrote in message
> I use DVD Workshop 2 also. THere are many reason for the failure, but I
> suggest you to check in the following order:
> 1. Can your DVD disc (not the folder) play fine with Power DVD?
> 2. When you use Nero to create a new burn, did you choose DVD Video? or
just
> DVD-ROM? It should be DVD Video.
> 3. Have you try to play your DVD disc on another standalone player?
> 4. Have you try with other brand of DVD disc?
> 5. Have you check with your DVD player maker whether it can read DVD+-
> media?
> Hope these help.

Thanks.

But am I right in thinking that if you have a dvd 'video_ts' folder on your
hard drive, which has been created with Ulead DVD workshop, or any other dvd
authoring software, then if you want to transfer it to a dvd to be played
specifically in stand alone dvd players rather than computers then you CAN'T
just transfer it as an ordinary data disc using a cd/dvd burning program
like Nero. You have to use a burner program that has a 'burn as dvd video'
option or dvd players may not read it properly.
Is this true?

I also have Roxia Easy CD creator and this doesn't seem to have such an
option. When I burn DVD videos with this I just create an ordinary DVD data
disc with a with a 'video_ts' folder that I've created and I import all the
files from the hard drive.
Is this what I've been doing wrong?

On Fri, 14 May 2004 17:49:20 +0100, "Jim" <worldzone@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>But am I right in thinking that if you have a dvd 'video_ts' folder on your
>hard drive, which has been created with Ulead DVD workshop, or any other dvd
>authoring software, then if you want to transfer it to a dvd to be played
>specifically in stand alone dvd players rather than computers then you CAN'T
>just transfer it as an ordinary data disc using a cd/dvd burning program
>like Nero. You have to use a burner program that has a 'burn as dvd video'
>option

Right -except Nero has a DVD Video mode, which is the one that should
be used. At least my Nero 5.5.10.20 has that mode, which I have always
succesfully used to burn DVDs. But the mode only appears when you use
the Wizard.

Jim wrote:
> "Sender" <sender@happy.net> wrote in message
>> I use DVD Workshop 2 also. THere are many reason for the failure,
>> but I suggest you to check in the following order:
>> 1. Can your DVD disc (not the folder) play fine with Power DVD?
>> 2. When you use Nero to create a new burn, did you choose DVD Video?
>> or just DVD-ROM? It should be DVD Video.
>> 3. Have you try to play your DVD disc on another standalone player?
>> 4. Have you try with other brand of DVD disc?
>> 5. Have you check with your DVD player maker whether it can read
>> DVD+- media?
>> Hope these help.
>>
> Thanks.
>
> But am I right in thinking that if you have a dvd 'video_ts' folder
> on your hard drive, which has been created with Ulead DVD workshop,
> or any other dvd authoring software, then if you want to transfer it
> to a dvd to be played specifically in stand alone dvd players rather
> than computers then you CAN'T just transfer it as an ordinary data
> disc using a cd/dvd burning program like Nero. You have to use a
> burner program that has a 'burn as dvd video' option or dvd players
> may not read it properly.
> Is this true?

I'll repeat what I said the other day. I author and create my DVD using DVD
Architect, storing the video_ts and audio_ts folders on the hard drive.
Then I use RecordNow Max to burn these to a DVD as a data copy. Works every
time.

Mike