AV_IO oddness: audio capture causes video framedrop

Using AV_IO, I can capture large video streams all day and never drop
a frame. But if I also capture the audio stream, I drop frames at a
small but consistent rate. It has nothing to do with the hard drive
keeping up: I can reduce the video stream to a tiny postage stamp (80
x 60) with a miniscule file size but it still happens. Even stranger,
the problem gets worse if I REDUCE the size of the audio stream. For
instance, if I reduce the audio sampling rate to the lowest setting
(8K mono), AV_IO drops more frames than when the audio sampling rate
is at 44.1K stereo.

The rate of dropped frame is not terrible (about one dropped frame
every 300 at a low audio capture rate, and about one dropped frame
every thousand at a high audio capture rate), but the phenomenon is
completely consistent and 100% reproduceable. It's like an
interference pattern or something -- periodically some combination of
events occurs that AV_IO can't handle and it seems to have nothing to
do with system resources. What could it be?

If anyone would like to know the particulars of the setup: Intel P4
3.2 GHz Northwood core; 800 Mhz FSB; 1 Gig DDR; 120 Gig hard drive for
OS and apps; dedicated 250 Gig hard drive for capture (completely
defragged and empty); Windows 2000; Winnov Videum capture card (and if
I capture with the Videum software instead of AV_IO the problem does
NOT occur, but then I run in to the 2 Gig filesize limit).

Nat Kane

"Nat Kane" <natkane@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Using AV_IO, I can capture large video streams all day and never drop
> a frame. But if I also capture the audio stream, I drop frames at a
> small but consistent rate. It has nothing to do with the hard drive
> keeping up: I can reduce the video stream to a tiny postage stamp (80
> x 60) with a miniscule file size but it still happens. Even stranger,
> the problem gets worse if I REDUCE the size of the audio stream. For
> instance, if I reduce the audio sampling rate to the lowest setting
> (8K mono), AV_IO drops more frames than when the audio sampling rate
> is at 44.1K stereo.
>
> The rate of dropped frame is not terrible (about one dropped frame
> every 300 at a low audio capture rate, and about one dropped frame
> every thousand at a high audio capture rate), but the phenomenon is
> completely consistent and 100% reproduceable. It's like an
> interference pattern or something -- periodically some combination of
> events occurs that AV_IO can't handle and it seems to have nothing to
> do with system resources. What could it be?
>
> If anyone would like to know the particulars of the setup: Intel P4
> 3.2 GHz Northwood core; 800 Mhz FSB; 1 Gig DDR; 120 Gig hard drive for
> OS and apps; dedicated 250 Gig hard drive for capture (completely
> defragged and empty); Windows 2000; Winnov Videum capture card (and if
> I capture with the Videum software instead of AV_IO the problem does
> NOT occur, but then I run in to the 2 Gig filesize limit).
>
> Nat Kane

From the AVI_IO website:

Note, if needed AVI_IO insert's frames to keep synchronization
between audio and video, while all other capture tools known to
us don't. Such capture tools (as a consequence) may not report
any drop's BUT audio and video shifts in such cases if you capture
over long periods. We feel that inserting frames (and reporting them as
drops) is better than letting audio and video shift, because such
shifts are soon noticeable especially if you capture talking people.
The reason for such shift's (if they happen at all) is caused by the
sound card and/or video capture card used. If one (or both) of
these devices do not keep exactly the frequency requested by
you (i.e. 29.97 fps 44100Hz or whatever) audio and video
will shift if you capture using a different capture tool. AVI_IO
corrects this behavior only if needed giving perfect lip s
ynchronized captures over hours using even unstable (cheap)
hardware!!! - The drawback are some reported drops which
however should not be noticed during playback.

> Vance, thank you for the information.

You're welcome.

I have used AVI_IO on a commercial basis for many
years (we do video pipeline inspections) and have captured
thousands of hours of video with it.

Great software, the first to circumvent the 2G problem
and not introduce other problems of its own-