Video capture problems

I have a Toshiba Laptop and recorded and made great dvd's from my digital
camcorder. I used the recovery cd's to re-do the machine, now when i record
from the camcorder the quality is poor. I tried movie maker / Win DVD /
Pinacle 8 / Power Produser/ Power Director/ ect Help please
--
Thanks Darren

Did you defrag the PC after the Recovery session?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"dbcgalloway" <mail@darrengalloway.com> wrote in message
>I have a Toshiba Laptop and recorded and made great dvd's from my digital
> camcorder. I used the recovery cd's to re-do the machine, now when i
> record
> from the camcorder the quality is poor. I tried movie maker / Win DVD /
> Pinacle 8 / Power Produser/ Power Director/ ect Help please
> --
> Thanks Darren

Can you be more specific with what the problem is, Is the captured video
poor when seen on the pc, is the finished movie on dvd poor, etc etc, and
please explain as best you can your definition of poor.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"dbcgalloway" <mail@darrengalloway.com> wrote in message
> I have a Toshiba Laptop and recorded and made great dvd's from my digital
> camcorder. I used the recovery cd's to re-do the machine, now when i
record
> from the camcorder the quality is poor. I tried movie maker / Win DVD /
> Pinacle 8 / Power Produser/ Power Director/ ect Help please
> --
> Thanks Darren

O.K When i start the program and switch on my camera and just do a playback
on my computer, the quality is great, but as soon as i press record to record
to my hard drive,,,the quality gets realy bad, By bad i mean it seems like
the pickture on the screen moves a lot more up and down and from side to side
than on the camcorders screen. The picture seems very garbled as if it is
braking up. It looks as if the quality has droped from being dvd quality to
something i am watching on the web with a slow internet. I have reinstalled
my video drivers, I have done a defrag, I have 70% free space on my hard
drive, Intel pentium 2.8 ghz with 512 mb ram. I have reinstalled the program
and have done all the windows updates i could including service pack 2. Still
i have no luck. It is very frustrating seing that i was able to make lovely
dvd's on the machine before. Thanks Darren

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> Can you be more specific with what the problem is, Is the captured video
> poor when seen on the pc, is the finished movie on dvd poor, etc etc, and
> please explain as best you can your definition of poor.
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> Laird of Glencairn
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "dbcgalloway" <mail@darrengalloway.com> wrote in message
> > I have a Toshiba Laptop and recorded and made great dvd's from my digital
> > camcorder. I used the recovery cd's to re-do the machine, now when i
> record
> > from the camcorder the quality is poor. I tried movie maker / Win DVD /
> > Pinacle 8 / Power Produser/ Power Director/ ect Help please
> > --
> > Thanks Darren

HAve you checked for updates for all devices, such as the firewire ports,
mobo, latest direct x from M/S. Checked dma is enabled on the hdd. Is it bad
when it is recording? Is it bad after you have recorded it to the hdd, is
the dvd you have made bad? Is it bad when watched in WMP, Is it bad when
recorded back to minidv tape and watched on the tv?

Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

> O.K When i start the program and switch on my camera and just do a
playback
> on my computer, the quality is great, but as soon as i press record to
record
> to my hard drive,,,the quality gets realy bad, By bad i mean it seems like
> the pickture on the screen moves a lot more up and down and from side to
side
> than on the camcorders screen. The picture seems very garbled as if it is
> braking up. It looks as if the quality has droped from being dvd quality
> something i am watching on the web with a slow internet. I have
reinstalled
> my video drivers, I have done a defrag, I have 70% free space on my hard
> drive, Intel pentium 2.8 ghz with 512 mb ram. I have reinstalled the
program
> and have done all the windows updates i could including service pack 2.
Still
> i have no luck. It is very frustrating seing that i was able to make
lovely
> dvd's on the machine before. Thanks Darren
>
> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
> > Can you be more specific with what the problem is, Is the captured video
> > poor when seen on the pc, is the finished movie on dvd poor, etc etc,
and
> > please explain as best you can your definition of poor.
> >
> > --
> > Graham Hughes
> > MVP Digital Media
> > Laird of Glencairn
> > www.dvds2treasure.com
> > www.simplydv.com
> >

> > "dbcgalloway" <mail@darrengalloway.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a Toshiba Laptop and recorded and made great dvd's from my
digital
> > > camcorder. I used the recovery cd's to re-do the machine, now when i
> > record
> > > from the camcorder the quality is poor. I tried movie maker / Win DVD
/
> > > Pinacle 8 / Power Produser/ Power Director/ ect Help please
> > > --
> > > Thanks Darren

Hi Graham, When i watch the movie just by playing it through to my laptop,,,i
can watch it in full screen and have no quality loss, but when i press record
the playback even on the small preview window looks like its braking up. When
i finish recording i play it back off the harddrive with either windows media
player 10 or with win dvd or with real player or with Theatre tek the
quality is still not right. I have tried to burn it to disc but it comes out
the same as the bad quality playback i get on the laptop after recording.

DMA settings for my harddrive is on------ DMA if available. I have no other
option.
Playing it direct to tv using either the cable suplied or s-video----great
qualitty.
Direct x 9 c installed.

My main concern is the fact that i can view it with great quality, but not
record it to harddrive with the same quality, If i could do that ,then the
dvd disc will be great as well.

How do i know whether i have the latest drivers for items like my
motherboard and firewire ports. Where would i check?

> Hi Graham, When i watch the movie just by playing it through to my
laptop,,,i
> can watch it in full screen and have no quality loss, but when i press
record
> the playback even on the small preview window looks like its braking up.

Movie maker only shows it's rpeview at 15fps and low resolution, 320x240 I
think, which will mean it looks worse than it is. Most other apps also do
this to varying degrees, as it saves system resources whilst editing.

When
> i finish recording i play it back off the harddrive with either windows
media
> player 10 or with win dvd or with real player or with Theatre tek the
> quality is still not right.

PC's are not designed to show interlaced material to it's best, this may
have something to do with it.

I have tried to burn it to disc but it comes out
> the same as the bad quality playback i get on the laptop after recording.

Encoding to mpeg2 is awkward to do well and a lot depends on the quality of
the encoder you use.

> DMA settings for my harddrive is on------ DMA if available. I have no
other
> option.
> Playing it direct to tv using either the cable suplied or s-video----great
> qualitty.

Is this from the pc to tv using the captured video?

Is it from video you have captured to the hdd and then exported back to tape
and then watched on the tv by connecting the cam to the tv? This is the best
method to test how good the file is on the pc

> Direct x 9 c installed.
>
> My main concern is the fact that i can view it with great quality, but not
> record it to harddrive with the same quality, If i could do that ,then the
> dvd disc will be great as well.

Let's start from the beginning again a well.
The cam is connected by firewire,
You turn off all uneeded apps including
internet/firewall/anti-virus/screensaver/power-save modes etc when
capturing,
You capture to which app?
Which file type do you chose to save to with this app?

> How do i know whether i have the latest drivers for items like my
> motherboard and firewire ports. Where would i check?

Check with the manufacturers of each product, and use device manager
properties of the items to see which drivers you are using.