transferring 8mm video to p.c.

March 31, 2005 9:27:03 AM

somebody please dummy this down for me. i want to transfer my 8mm camcorder
tapes to my p.c for dvd burning. i need to know how to connect my camera
directly to my p.c. for this. what do i use to connect it and how do i go
about this? i may already have the connections and don't even know it. please
describe this in detail if you don't mind. i'm extremely new at this.
thanks!

More about : transferring 8mm video

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 2:28:59 PM

This would be an analog camcorder and you will need an analog hardware
capture card for the PC... such as Pinnacle or Dazzle.

You might want to take a look at www.videohelp.com which has reviews of
different analog hardware and software. These are reviews by 'normal' folks
not professionals so they are written in an easy to understand format.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"sonja" <sonja@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> somebody please dummy this down for me. i want to transfer my 8mm
> camcorder
> tapes to my p.c for dvd burning. i need to know how to connect my camera
> directly to my p.c. for this. what do i use to connect it and how do i go
> about this? i may already have the connections and don't even know it.
> please
> describe this in detail if you don't mind. i'm extremely new at this.
> thanks!

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 11:55:36 PM

Depending on how much you have to do, you may wish to go for one of the
better versions of Cari's suggestion, from Canopus or Miglia, both far
superior in quality, ease of use, end result quality :)  but the downside is
much more expensive :(
There are external units which you just plug your cam into and then connect
to the pc via firewire or you can get internal pci analogue capture cards,
which obviously do not take up desk space.
Not sure if you have firewire, check out

www.myvideoproblems.com

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media