What size mem card to buy?

mallen

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2004

I'm planning on buying the Panasonic FZ20. I'm new to digital, and
will be mostly viewing my shots on my computer monitor at 1024 x 768
res. What size card should I get and at what setting should I shoot?
In other words, how many pictures will I get on say a 256 meg card?
Thanks.

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:53:33 -0600, mallen <mallen10@wi.rr.com> wrote:

>I'm planning on buying the Panasonic FZ20.

I've recently bought one of these cameras and I have two of these:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-155-264&depa=0

Watch the price for a while and catch them when they're on sale for
about $67 each, that's what I paid.

Shoot at MAX resolution, it's easier to back down in post production than to
increase resolution.

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:53:33 -0600, mallen wrote:

>I'm planning on buying the Panasonic FZ20. I'm new to digital, and
>will be mostly viewing my shots on my computer monitor at 1024 x 768
>res. What size card should I get and at what setting should I shoot?
>In other words, how many pictures will I get on say a 256 meg card?

Shoot at the best possible resolution, and at least the 2nd best
(lowest) compression ratio -- You won't regret it if you should
decide to get one printed beyond 10x13 cm!

For an estimate of number of pics, the table here will be helpful:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/fz20_pg2.html

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:53:33 -0600, mallen <mallen10@wi.rr.com> wrote:

>I'm planning on buying the Panasonic FZ20. I'm new to digital, and
>will be mostly viewing my shots on my computer monitor at 1024 x 768
>res. What size card should I get and at what setting should I shoot?
>In other words, how many pictures will I get on say a 256 meg card?
>Thanks.

Shop for speed too. Some cards are faster than other cards. This
becomes more important as the card mem gets larger.

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:17:28 -0600, RicSeyler <ricseyler@SPAMgulf.net> wrote:

>Are those available in the CF flavor for that price??

I've had no reason to check, go to www.newegg.com
and check it out.

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 06:24:52 -0600, in article
<1sa6q09kabd8vblosnfj8uljva1u6ls956@4ax.com>, PJx <dingo@privacy.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:53:33 -0600, mallen <mallen10@wi.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm planning on buying the Panasonic FZ20. I'm new to digital, and
>>will be mostly viewing my shots on my computer monitor at 1024 x 768
>>res. What size card should I get and at what setting should I shoot?
>>In other words, how many pictures will I get on say a 256 meg card?
>>Thanks.
>
> Shop for speed too. Some cards are faster than other cards. This
>becomes more important as the card mem gets larger.

And don't necessarily shop for card size. The cards *will* fail over time.
The larger the card size, the more potential data at risk, and the larger the
investment down the drain. Cards are very portable, even a lot of cards.

SP

Get a fairly large unit now and plan on getting a second one later. When
you shoot pictures, you need to have a backup in case you lose one or
destroy one in an aeroport xray machine etc... This way you will have some
pictures when you get home.

"Susan Perkins" <deleted@> wrote in message
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 06:24:52 -0600, in article
> <1sa6q09kabd8vblosnfj8uljva1u6ls956@4ax.com>, PJx <dingo@privacy.com>
wrote:

> >On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:53:33 -0600, mallen <mallen10@wi.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I'm planning on buying the Panasonic FZ20. I'm new to digital, and
> >>will be mostly viewing my shots on my computer monitor at 1024 x 768
> >>res. What size card should I get and at what setting should I shoot?
> >>In other words, how many pictures will I get on say a 256 meg card?
> >>Thanks.
> >
> > Shop for speed too. Some cards are faster than other cards. This
> >becomes more important as the card mem gets larger.
>
> And don't necessarily shop for card size. The cards *will* fail over
time.
> The larger the card size, the more potential data at risk, and the larger
the
> investment down the drain. Cards are very portable, even a lot of cards.
>
> SP

kbob

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:53:33 -0600, mallen <mallen10@wi.rr.com> wrote:

>I'm planning on buying the Panasonic FZ20. I'm new to digital, and
>will be mostly viewing my shots on my computer monitor at 1024 x 768
>res. What size card should I get and at what setting should I shoot?
>In other words, how many pictures will I get on say a 256 meg card?
>Thanks.

Usually the manual with the camera tells you this. Look and see how
many shots your battery is good for, then choose a card with enough
capacity to avoid having to change cards. If you're going to limit
the image size to 1024X768, a 256 Mb card should be plenty.

kbob

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 10:32:01 +0900, Susan Perkins <deleted@> wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 06:24:52 -0600, in article
><1sa6q09kabd8vblosnfj8uljva1u6ls956@4ax.com>, PJx <dingo@privacy.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:53:33 -0600, mallen <mallen10@wi.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm planning on buying the Panasonic FZ20. I'm new to digital, and
>>>will be mostly viewing my shots on my computer monitor at 1024 x 768
>>>res. What size card should I get and at what setting should I shoot?
>>>In other words, how many pictures will I get on say a 256 meg card?
>>>Thanks.
>>
>> Shop for speed too. Some cards are faster than other cards. This
>>becomes more important as the card mem gets larger.
>
>And don't necessarily shop for card size. The cards *will* fail over time.
>The larger the card size, the more potential data at risk, and the larger the
>investment down the drain. Cards are very portable, even a lot of cards.
>
>SP

Misinformation. Cards have an essentially unlimited life, and are not
prone to failure. Although certainly some do fail (generally early),
they will probably outlive you and your next of kin, but will be
obsolete in a couple years in any case.

Speed of cards is a highly overrated factor. The difference in actual
use will be discovered as very slight, although there is likely to be
a considerable difference in price. The reason why "fast" cards
aren't much better than standard types is simply that the internal
processing of the camera is the dominating factor.

One word: bigger

mallen wrote:
> I'm planning on buying the Panasonic FZ20. I'm new to digital, and
> will be mostly viewing my shots on my computer monitor at 1024 x 768
> res. What size card should I get and at what setting should I shoot?
> In other words, how many pictures will I get on say a 256 meg card?
> Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS