Recovering space from hard drive once files don't delete p..

When I capture in DV format I can get very large files & up to 14 GB isn't
too uncommon. When I go to delete these files Windows XP tells me that the
file is too large for the recycle bin would I like to just delete it
instead. As often as not if I say yes the file disappears but the quantity
of free space on my drive doesn't increase. Running the various disk
programs doesn't free up the missing space. Sometimes if that were the only
file on the drive Windows can't or won't format the partition. What I have
had to do was format using a program like Partition Magic 8. Is this a
common problem with video & is there any way to overcome it?

--
Thanks in advance

Are you using Norton Protected Recycle Bin? It sometimes keeps the files
protected even if the Recycle Bin says it can't take them. Try deleting all
protected files. It worked for me.

Gary

--

"Videot" <videot@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> When I capture in DV format I can get very large files & up to 14 GB isn't
> too uncommon. When I go to delete these files Windows XP tells me that
the
> file is too large for the recycle bin would I like to just delete it
> instead. As often as not if I say yes the file disappears but the
quantity
> of free space on my drive doesn't increase. Running the various disk
> programs doesn't free up the missing space. Sometimes if that were the
only
> file on the drive Windows can't or won't format the partition. What I
have
> had to do was format using a program like Partition Magic 8. Is this a
> common problem with video & is there any way to overcome it?
>
> --
> Thanks in advance

I do have Norton's on the PC but the protected recycle bin is always turned
off.

"Gary P" <askme@newsgroup> wrote in message
> Are you using Norton Protected Recycle Bin? It sometimes keeps the files
> protected even if the Recycle Bin says it can't take them. Try deleting
all
> protected files. It worked for me.
>
> Gary
>
> --
>
> "Videot" <videot@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> > When I capture in DV format I can get very large files & up to 14 GB
isn't
> > too uncommon. When I go to delete these files Windows XP tells me that
> the
> > file is too large for the recycle bin would I like to just delete it
> > instead. As often as not if I say yes the file disappears but the
> quantity
> > of free space on my drive doesn't increase. Running the various disk
> > programs doesn't free up the missing space. Sometimes if that were the
> only
> > file on the drive Windows can't or won't format the partition. What I
> have
> > had to do was format using a program like Partition Magic 8. Is this a
> > common problem with video & is there any way to overcome it?
> >
> > --
> > Thanks in advance

Rich

> I do have Norton's on the PC but the protected recycle bin is always
turned
> off.

I've had a few problems with the recycle bin with Norton SystemWorks 2003 in
the past. A few times when using "Fast & Safe cleanup" when I had deleted
large files, the program would run and then just disappear, not cleaning
everything out. I also always have the protected recycle bin turned off and
on occasion, like tonight, found it to be turned on. Only me and my dog
dare enter my cluttered computer room, and he's too stupid to be able to
turn it back on. Been with Norton since the beginning, slowly weaning
off...

1. Try rebooting.

2. Try in Programs > Accessories > System Tools > "Disk Cleanup" It's
real slow at times.

3. You might try Norton Disk Doctor just to see what it says.

Rich

You can delete files without using the recycle bin and delete them
immediately by:
right click on the file you want to delete
scroll down menu to "delete"
press the shift key while clicking on "delete"

this by-passes the recycle bin and will allow you to delete any size
file and recover your disc space immediatley

Robert Storm

On Sat, 15 May 2004 07:35:49 +0800, "Videot" <videot@optusnet.com.au>
wrote:

>When I capture in DV format I can get very large files & up to 14 GB isn't
>too uncommon. When I go to delete these files Windows XP tells me that the
>file is too large for the recycle bin would I like to just delete it
>instead. As often as not if I say yes the file disappears but the quantity
>of free space on my drive doesn't increase. Running the various disk
>programs doesn't free up the missing space. Sometimes if that were the only
>file on the drive Windows can't or won't format the partition. What I have
>had to do was format using a program like Partition Magic 8. Is this a
>common problem with video & is there any way to overcome it?

"Videot" <videot@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> When I capture in DV format I can get very large files & up to 14 GB isn't
> too uncommon. When I go to delete these files Windows XP tells me that
the
> file is too large for the recycle bin would I like to just delete it
> instead. As often as not if I say yes the file disappears but the
quantity
> of free space on my drive doesn't increase. Running the various disk
> programs doesn't free up the missing space. Sometimes if that were the
only
> file on the drive Windows can't or won't format the partition. What I
have
> had to do was format using a program like Partition Magic 8. Is this a
> common problem with video & is there any way to overcome it?
>
> --
> Thanks in advance

I've had the same problem.

It gets fixed by using the the disk doctor - it will probably find a whole
bunch of orphaned files which are taking up the hidden space. At your next
boot - the program will run a scandisk to fix the errors and recover the
orphaned space.

I haven't figured out any other way to fix it.

--
Nigel Brooks

TRENDING THREADS