Recovering space from hard drive once files don't delete p..

When I capture in DV format I can get very large files & up to 14 GB isn't
too uncommon. When I go to delete these files Windows XP tells me that the
file is too large for the recycle bin would I like to just delete it
instead. As often as not if I say yes the file disappears but the quantity
of free space on my drive doesn't increase. Running the various disk
programs doesn't free up the missing space. Sometimes if that were the only
file on the drive Windows can't or won't format the partition. What I have
had to do was format using a program like Partition Magic 8. Is this a
common problem with video & is there any way to overcome it?

--
Thanks in advance
5 answers Last reply

    Are you using Norton Protected Recycle Bin? It sometimes keeps the files
    protected even if the Recycle Bin says it can't take them. Try deleting all
    protected files. It worked for me.

    Gary

    --

    "Videot" <videot@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > When I capture in DV format I can get very large files & up to 14 GB isn't
    > too uncommon. When I go to delete these files Windows XP tells me that
    the
    > file is too large for the recycle bin would I like to just delete it
    > instead. As often as not if I say yes the file disappears but the
    quantity
    > of free space on my drive doesn't increase. Running the various disk
    > programs doesn't free up the missing space. Sometimes if that were the
    only
    > file on the drive Windows can't or won't format the partition. What I
    have
    > had to do was format using a program like Partition Magic 8. Is this a
    > common problem with video & is there any way to overcome it?
    >
    > --
    > Thanks in advance

    I do have Norton's on the PC but the protected recycle bin is always turned
    off.

    > I do have Norton's on the PC but the protected recycle bin is always
    turned
    > off.

    I've had a few problems with the recycle bin with Norton SystemWorks 2003 in
    the past. A few times when using "Fast & Safe cleanup" when I had deleted
    large files, the program would run and then just disappear, not cleaning
    everything out. I also always have the protected recycle bin turned off and
    on occasion, like tonight, found it to be turned on. Only me and my dog
    dare enter my cluttered computer room, and he's too stupid to be able to
    turn it back on. Been with Norton since the beginning, slowly weaning
    off...

    1. Try rebooting.

    2. Try in Programs > Accessories > System Tools > "Disk Cleanup" It's
    real slow at times.

    3. You might try Norton Disk Doctor just to see what it says.

    Rich

    You can delete files without using the recycle bin and delete them
    immediately by:
    right click on the file you want to delete
    scroll down menu to "delete"
    press the shift key while clicking on "delete"

    this by-passes the recycle bin and will allow you to delete any size
    file and recover your disc space immediatley

    Robert Storm

    On Sat, 15 May 2004 07:35:49 +0800, "Videot" <videot@optusnet.com.au>
    wrote:

    >When I capture in DV format I can get very large files & up to 14 GB isn't
    >too uncommon. When I go to delete these files Windows XP tells me that the
    >file is too large for the recycle bin would I like to just delete it
    >instead. As often as not if I say yes the file disappears but the quantity
    >of free space on my drive doesn't increase. Running the various disk
    >programs doesn't free up the missing space. Sometimes if that were the only
    >file on the drive Windows can't or won't format the partition. What I have
    >had to do was format using a program like Partition Magic 8. Is this a
    >common problem with video & is there any way to overcome it?

    "Videot" <videot@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > When I capture in DV format I can get very large files & up to 14 GB isn't
    > too uncommon. When I go to delete these files Windows XP tells me that
    the
    > file is too large for the recycle bin would I like to just delete it
    > instead. As often as not if I say yes the file disappears but the
    quantity
    > of free space on my drive doesn't increase. Running the various disk
    > programs doesn't free up the missing space. Sometimes if that were the
    only
    > file on the drive Windows can't or won't format the partition. What I
    have
    > had to do was format using a program like Partition Magic 8. Is this a
    > common problem with video & is there any way to overcome it?
    >
    > --
    > Thanks in advance

    I've had the same problem.

    It gets fixed by using the the disk doctor - it will probably find a whole
    bunch of orphaned files which are taking up the hidden space. At your next
    boot - the program will run a scandisk to fix the errors and recover the
    orphaned space.

    I haven't figured out any other way to fix it.

    --
    Nigel Brooks

Tuner Cards Hard Drives Format Graphics