Unable to play imported Clips in movie maker 2

I am no longer able to play imported clips i.n Movie Maker 2. I had no
problem initially. I even tried removing and re-installing Windows XP SP2.
After placing several clips into the time line, I clicked the play button
and received "class not registered" error.
10 answers Last reply
More about unable play imported clips movie maker

    On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 02:31:04 -0800, "Rudy"
    <Rudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I am no longer able to play imported clips i.n Movie Maker 2. I had no
    >problem initially. I even tried removing and re-installing Windows XP SP2.
    >After placing several clips into the time line, I clicked the play button
    >and received "class not registered" error.
    Do they play in wmp?

    Dave

    If you mean "WMV" then then the answer is no. Windows Media player operates
    without any problems. However, I am only having problems with Windows Movie
    Maker 2.

    "da_test" wrote:

    > On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 02:31:04 -0800, "Rudy"
    > <Rudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I am no longer able to play imported clips i.n Movie Maker 2. I had no
    > >problem initially. I even tried removing and re-installing Windows XP SP2.
    > >After placing several clips into the time line, I clicked the play button
    > >and received "class not registered" error.
    > Do they play in wmp?
    >
    > Dave

    WMP = windows media player.
    What file type are these files, Mpeg? In which case they rarely work with
    MM.

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "Rudy" <Rudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > If you mean "WMV" then then the answer is no. Windows Media player
    operates
    > without any problems. However, I am only having problems with Windows
    Movie
    > Maker 2.
    >
    > "da_test" wrote:
    >
    > > On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 02:31:04 -0800, "Rudy"
    > > <Rudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >I am no longer able to play imported clips i.n Movie Maker 2. I had no
    > > >problem initially. I even tried removing and re-installing Windows XP
    SP2.
    > > >After placing several clips into the time line, I clicked the play
    button
    > > >and received "class not registered" error.
    > > Do they play in wmp?
    > >
    > > Dave

    I am playing strictly AVI's in MM2. I greatly appreciate your assistance.

    "Graham Hughes" wrote:

    > WMP = windows media player.
    > What file type are these files, Mpeg? In which case they rarely work with
    > MM.
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP Digital Media
    > Laird of Glencairn
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > www.simplydv.com
    >

    > "Rudy" <Rudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > If you mean "WMV" then then the answer is no. Windows Media player
    > operates
    > > without any problems. However, I am only having problems with Windows
    > Movie
    > > Maker 2.
    > >
    > > "da_test" wrote:

    > SP2.
    > button
    > > > Do they play in wmp?
    > > >
    > > > Dave

    Are these dv-avi files from a camcorder? AVI is a file wrapper and can
    contain many different file types, the most popular one to cause problems is
    the divx one.

    --

    > I am playing strictly AVI's in MM2. I greatly appreciate your assistance.
    >
    > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
    >
    > > WMP = windows media player.
    > > What file type are these files, Mpeg? In which case they rarely work
    with
    > > MM.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Graham Hughes
    > > MVP Digital Media
    > > Laird of Glencairn
    > > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > > www.simplydv.com
    > >

    > > "Rudy" <Rudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > If you mean "WMV" then then the answer is no. Windows Media player
    > > operates
    > > > without any problems. However, I am only having problems with Windows
    > > Movie
    > > > Maker 2.

    XP
    > > SP2.
    > > button

    Yes. These are dv-avi files from a camcorder.

    "Graham Hughes" wrote:

    > Are these dv-avi files from a camcorder? AVI is a file wrapper and can
    > contain many different file types, the most popular one to cause problems is
    > the divx one.
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP Digital Media
    > Laird of Glencairn
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > www.simplydv.com
    >

    > "Rudy" <Rudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I am playing strictly AVI's in MM2. I greatly appreciate your assistance.
    > >
    > > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
    > >
    > > > WMP = windows media player.
    > > > What file type are these files, Mpeg? In which case they rarely work
    > with
    > > > MM.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Graham Hughes
    > > > MVP Digital Media
    > > > Laird of Glencairn
    > > > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > > > www.simplydv.com
    > > >

    > > > "Rudy" <Rudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > operates
    > > > Movie

    > no
    > XP
    > > > SP2.
    > > > button

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    I'll do some research and come back to you.

    --

    > Yes. These are dv-avi files from a camcorder.
    >
    > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
    >
    > > Are these dv-avi files from a camcorder? AVI is a file wrapper and can
    > > contain many different file types, the most popular one to cause
    problems is
    > > the divx one.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Graham Hughes
    > > MVP Digital Media
    > > Laird of Glencairn
    > > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > > www.simplydv.com
    > >

    > > "Rudy" <Rudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I am playing strictly AVI's in MM2. I greatly appreciate your
    assistance.

    > > with

    Windows

    > > no
    Windows
    > > XP

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Check out this page
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/mediaadvice/0009.aspx#whydoireceiveclassfactorycannotsupplytherequestedc

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media
    Laird of Glencairn
    www.dvds2treasure.com
    www.simplydv.com

    "Rudy" <Rudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Yes. These are dv-avi files from a camcorder.
    >
    > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
    >
    > > Are these dv-avi files from a camcorder? AVI is a file wrapper and can
    > > contain many different file types, the most popular one to cause
    problems is
    > > the divx one.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Graham Hughes
    > > MVP Digital Media
    > > Laird of Glencairn
    > > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > > www.simplydv.com
    > >

    > > "Rudy" <Rudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I am playing strictly AVI's in MM2. I greatly appreciate your
    assistance.

    > > with

    Windows

    > > no
    Windows
    > > XP

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    The link was a little informative but no help. I checked the AVI file using
    the GSpot utility. My AVI's video codec info4 is C IV50. the utility reports
    that the Rendering was successful and that DirectShow claims to be able to
    play the file. I continue to be baffeled by this problem since theses AVI
    and WMV files were able to played in WMM before. I suspect that something
    may have occured to damage my WMM. Can WMM be some how installed seperately?

    "Graham Hughes" wrote:

    > Check out this page
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/mediaadvice/0009.aspx#whydoireceiveclassfactorycannotsupplytherequestedc
    >

    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP Digital Media
    > Laird of Glencairn
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > www.simplydv.com
    >

    > "Rudy" <Rudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Yes. These are dv-avi files from a camcorder.
    > >
    > > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Are these dv-avi files from a camcorder? AVI is a file wrapper and can
    > > > contain many different file types, the most popular one to cause
    > problems is
    > > > the divx one.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Graham Hughes
    > > > MVP Digital Media
    > > > Laird of Glencairn
    > > > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > > > www.simplydv.com
    > > >

    > > > "Rudy" <Rudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > assistance.

    > > > with

    > player
    > Windows

    > had
    > > > no
    > Windows
    > > > XP
    > play

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    OK, can you run through the problem from the start, answering these Q's as
    well.
    You captured dv-avi files from your camcorder?
    These when imported into WMM played fine?
    You did something to the pc?
    The files stopped playing in WMM?
    The files still play in WMP?
    Do you know when they stopped playing in WMM?
    Can you recall what you may have changed on the pc when this happened?
    Can you use system restore to go back to a point before this happened?

    Graham

    --

    > The link was a little informative but no help. I checked the AVI file
    using
    > the GSpot utility. My AVI's video codec info4 is C IV50. the utility
    reports
    > that the Rendering was successful and that DirectShow claims to be able to
    > play the file. I continue to be baffeled by this problem since theses AVI
    > and WMV files were able to played in WMM before. I suspect that something
    > may have occured to damage my WMM. Can WMM be some how installed
    seperately?

    > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
    >
    > > Check out this page

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/mediaadvice/0009.aspx#whydoireceiveclassfactorycannotsupplytherequestedc

    > > --
    > > Graham Hughes
    > > MVP Digital Media
    > > Laird of Glencairn
    > > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > > www.simplydv.com
    > >

    > > "Rudy" <Rudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Yes. These are dv-avi files from a camcorder.

    > > problems is

    > > assistance.

    > > player
    > > Windows