Unable to play imported Clips in movie maker 2

Rudy

I am no longer able to play imported clips i.n Movie Maker 2. I had no
problem initially. I even tried removing and re-installing Windows XP SP2.
After placing several clips into the time line, I clicked the play button
and received "class not registered" error.

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 02:31:04 -0800, "Rudy"
<Rudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am no longer able to play imported clips i.n Movie Maker 2. I had no
>problem initially. I even tried removing and re-installing Windows XP SP2.
>After placing several clips into the time line, I clicked the play button
>and received "class not registered" error.
Do they play in wmp?

Dave

Rudy

If you mean "WMV" then then the answer is no. Windows Media player operates
without any problems. However, I am only having problems with Windows Movie
Maker 2.

"da_test" wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 02:31:04 -0800, "Rudy"
> <Rudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I am no longer able to play imported clips i.n Movie Maker 2. I had no
> >problem initially. I even tried removing and re-installing Windows XP SP2.
> >After placing several clips into the time line, I clicked the play button
> >and received "class not registered" error.
> Do they play in wmp?
>
> Dave

WMP = windows media player.
What file type are these files, Mpeg? In which case they rarely work with
MM.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Rudy" <Rudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If you mean "WMV" then then the answer is no. Windows Media player
operates
> without any problems. However, I am only having problems with Windows
Movie
> Maker 2.
>
> "da_test" wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 02:31:04 -0800, "Rudy"
> > <Rudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I am no longer able to play imported clips i.n Movie Maker 2. I had no
> > >problem initially. I even tried removing and re-installing Windows XP
SP2.
> > >After placing several clips into the time line, I clicked the play
button
> > >and received "class not registered" error.
> > Do they play in wmp?
> >
> > Dave

Rudy

I am playing strictly AVI's in MM2. I greatly appreciate your assistance.

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> WMP = windows media player.
> What file type are these files, Mpeg? In which case they rarely work with
> MM.
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> Laird of Glencairn
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "Rudy" <Rudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > If you mean "WMV" then then the answer is no. Windows Media player
> operates
> > without any problems. However, I am only having problems with Windows
> Movie
> > Maker 2.
> >
> > "da_test" wrote:

> SP2.
> button
> > > Do they play in wmp?
> > >
> > > Dave

Are these dv-avi files from a camcorder? AVI is a file wrapper and can
contain many different file types, the most popular one to cause problems is
the divx one.

--

> I am playing strictly AVI's in MM2. I greatly appreciate your assistance.
>
> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
> > WMP = windows media player.
> > What file type are these files, Mpeg? In which case they rarely work
with
> > MM.
> >
> > --
> > Graham Hughes
> > MVP Digital Media
> > Laird of Glencairn
> > www.dvds2treasure.com
> > www.simplydv.com
> >

> > "Rudy" <Rudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > If you mean "WMV" then then the answer is no. Windows Media player
> > operates
> > > without any problems. However, I am only having problems with Windows
> > Movie
> > > Maker 2.

XP
> > SP2.
> > button

Rudy

Yes. These are dv-avi files from a camcorder.

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> Are these dv-avi files from a camcorder? AVI is a file wrapper and can
> contain many different file types, the most popular one to cause problems is
> the divx one.
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> Laird of Glencairn
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "Rudy" <Rudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am playing strictly AVI's in MM2. I greatly appreciate your assistance.
> >
> > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
> >
> > > WMP = windows media player.
> > > What file type are these files, Mpeg? In which case they rarely work
> with
> > > MM.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Graham Hughes
> > > MVP Digital Media
> > > Laird of Glencairn
> > > www.dvds2treasure.com
> > > www.simplydv.com
> > >

> > > "Rudy" <Rudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > operates
> > > Movie

> no
> XP
> > > SP2.
> > > button

I'll do some research and come back to you.

--

> Yes. These are dv-avi files from a camcorder.
>
> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
> > Are these dv-avi files from a camcorder? AVI is a file wrapper and can
> > contain many different file types, the most popular one to cause
problems is
> > the divx one.
> >
> > --
> > Graham Hughes
> > MVP Digital Media
> > Laird of Glencairn
> > www.dvds2treasure.com
> > www.simplydv.com
> >

> > "Rudy" <Rudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I am playing strictly AVI's in MM2. I greatly appreciate your
assistance.

> > with

Windows

> > no
Windows
> > XP

Check out this page
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/mediaadvice/0009.aspx#whydoireceiveclassfactorycannotsupplytherequestedc

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media
Laird of Glencairn
www.dvds2treasure.com
www.simplydv.com

"Rudy" <Rudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes. These are dv-avi files from a camcorder.
>
> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
> > Are these dv-avi files from a camcorder? AVI is a file wrapper and can
> > contain many different file types, the most popular one to cause
problems is
> > the divx one.
> >
> > --
> > Graham Hughes
> > MVP Digital Media
> > Laird of Glencairn
> > www.dvds2treasure.com
> > www.simplydv.com
> >

> > "Rudy" <Rudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I am playing strictly AVI's in MM2. I greatly appreciate your
assistance.

> > with

Windows

> > no
Windows
> > XP

Rudy

The link was a little informative but no help. I checked the AVI file using
the GSpot utility. My AVI's video codec info4 is C IV50. the utility reports
that the Rendering was successful and that DirectShow claims to be able to
play the file. I continue to be baffeled by this problem since theses AVI
and WMV files were able to played in WMM before. I suspect that something
may have occured to damage my WMM. Can WMM be some how installed seperately?

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> Check out this page
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/mediaadvice/0009.aspx#whydoireceiveclassfactorycannotsupplytherequestedc
>

> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> Laird of Glencairn
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "Rudy" <Rudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes. These are dv-avi files from a camcorder.
> >
> > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
> >
> > > Are these dv-avi files from a camcorder? AVI is a file wrapper and can
> > > contain many different file types, the most popular one to cause
> problems is
> > > the divx one.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Graham Hughes
> > > MVP Digital Media
> > > Laird of Glencairn
> > > www.dvds2treasure.com
> > > www.simplydv.com
> > >

> > > "Rudy" <Rudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> assistance.

> > > with

> player
> Windows

> had
> > > no
> Windows
> > > XP
> play

OK, can you run through the problem from the start, answering these Q's as
well.
You captured dv-avi files from your camcorder?
These when imported into WMM played fine?
You did something to the pc?
The files stopped playing in WMM?
The files still play in WMP?
Do you know when they stopped playing in WMM?
Can you recall what you may have changed on the pc when this happened?
Can you use system restore to go back to a point before this happened?

Graham