Service pack 2 - wireless adapter unable to connect DHCP

TOMI

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

I have had a problem with my wireless connection after installing SP2 today.

After installing SP2 I have been able to connect to 802.11b wireless network
but I am unable to receive IP address from DHCP. There were no problems prior
to installing SP2. My wireless network is not encrypted nor secured any other
way. My ethernet adapter is connected to the same switch as my WiFi access
point. There are no problems with the ethernet connection, only with WiFi
connection.

I have uninstalled the network driver, fetched the newest one from the
manufacturers home page and installed it. The problem remains.

I have reinstalled TCP/IP protocol to network adapters as described in
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 811259 How to determine and recover from
Winsock2 corruption. No help.

I am using Intel Centrino chipset with Intel Pro/wireless 2200BG chip for
WiFi connections. Intel claims my Wifi chipset is SP2 compatible.

Does anybody have a solution?

Tomi

Tomi,

Let's try to remove this network from the list of WiFi networks. To do
this, look at the network connections page, select this connection and view
its properties. On the Wireless Networking tab of the Properties window you
will find this Preferred Networks List. You can remove this problematic
network from the list in a few clicks. If this is the only one in your
list, well, wipe it clean.

When you next come into range the View Available Networks window will let
you optionally connect to this network (it won't automatically connect,
because you've removed it from the preferred list. Now try connecting, and
please let me know the final status indication that this network connection
gives after the connection attempt. Once you connect, it will return to its
place in the list of Preferred Networks.

Hopefully there is some simple problem of incorrect configuration data. I
am sure we can resolve your problem!

Brian

--
Brian Wehrle
bwehrle@online.microsoft.com

"Tomi" <Tomi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have had a problem with my wireless connection after installing SP2
>today.
>
> After installing SP2 I have been able to connect to 802.11b wireless
> network
> but I am unable to receive IP address from DHCP. There were no problems
> prior
> to installing SP2. My wireless network is not encrypted nor secured any
> other
> way. My ethernet adapter is connected to the same switch as my WiFi access
> point. There are no problems with the ethernet connection, only with WiFi
> connection.
>
> I have uninstalled the network driver, fetched the newest one from the
> manufacturers home page and installed it. The problem remains.
>
> I have reinstalled TCP/IP protocol to network adapters as described in
> Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 811259 How to determine and recover
> from
> Winsock2 corruption. No help.
>
> I am using Intel Centrino chipset with Intel Pro/wireless 2200BG chip for
> WiFi connections. Intel claims my Wifi chipset is SP2 compatible.
>
> Does anybody have a solution?
>
> Tomi

Tomi,

Judging by the other posts on this newsgroup there is a problem with SP2 and
wireless networks. I have the same - do a search for Artitus and you will
see just a couple of them and my specific problem.

The only short term fix is to temporarily connect the laptop in question to
a hardwired ethernet cable as this seems to force windows to release the IP
address. The wireless connection then sorts itself out, and the laptop can
then be disconnected form the ethernet cable.

I have not yet seen any other or permanent fixes for this.

Simon.

"Tomi" wrote:

> I have had a problem with my wireless connection after installing SP2 today.
>
> After installing SP2 I have been able to connect to 802.11b wireless network
> but I am unable to receive IP address from DHCP. There were no problems prior
> to installing SP2. My wireless network is not encrypted nor secured any other
> way. My ethernet adapter is connected to the same switch as my WiFi access
> point. There are no problems with the ethernet connection, only with WiFi
> connection.
>
> I have uninstalled the network driver, fetched the newest one from the
> manufacturers home page and installed it. The problem remains.
>
> I have reinstalled TCP/IP protocol to network adapters as described in
> Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 811259 How to determine and recover from
> Winsock2 corruption. No help.
>
> I am using Intel Centrino chipset with Intel Pro/wireless 2200BG chip for
> WiFi connections. Intel claims my Wifi chipset is SP2 compatible.
>
> Does anybody have a solution?
>
> Tomi

I am having the same problem with my wireless and SP2 as most people
in this group.

Has anybody tried all of the following that MS has suggested?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870702

I have not had the time to read it all over and try everything.. so I
am wondering if anyone has tried it and if so were you able to get
your wireless working?

Dave

"Artitus" <Artitus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<B80AF96C-9ECF-4E17-B577-C58D2FE11AD4@microsoft.com>...
> Tomi,
>
> Judging by the other posts on this newsgroup there is a problem with SP2 and
> wireless networks. I have the same - do a search for Artitus and you will
> see just a couple of them and my specific problem.
>
> The only short term fix is to temporarily connect the laptop in question to
> a hardwired ethernet cable as this seems to force windows to release the IP
> address. The wireless connection then sorts itself out, and the laptop can
> then be disconnected form the ethernet cable.
>
> I have not yet seen any other or permanent fixes for this.
>

> Simon.
>
> "Tomi" wrote:
>
> > I have had a problem with my wireless connection after installing SP2 today.
> >
> > After installing SP2 I have been able to connect to 802.11b wireless network
> > but I am unable to receive IP address from DHCP. There were no problems prior
> > to installing SP2. My wireless network is not encrypted nor secured any other
> > way. My ethernet adapter is connected to the same switch as my WiFi access
> > point. There are no problems with the ethernet connection, only with WiFi
> > connection.
> >
> > I have uninstalled the network driver, fetched the newest one from the
> > manufacturers home page and installed it. The problem remains.
> >
> > I have reinstalled TCP/IP protocol to network adapters as described in
> > Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 811259 How to determine and recover from
> > Winsock2 corruption. No help.
> >
> > I am using Intel Centrino chipset with Intel Pro/wireless 2200BG chip for
> > WiFi connections. Intel claims my Wifi chipset is SP2 compatible.
> >
> > Does anybody have a solution?
> >
> > Tomi

Actually, this is not true; however, this may have worked for someone
regaring some problem, but not for the reason listed below. Whether or not
a LAN network is connected and has an address is independent of the WLAN
connection and it's address.

There are fewer problems with SP2 and WLAN networks than in SP1. This I
know for a fact. However, some problems need good diagnosis, collection of
information and triage. To that end, I can specifically explain to you how
to recover the logs from Wireless Networking, and I can offer you the help
in triaging your problems.

I am hoping that Tomi follows-up with my action list, and Artitus, if you
can repost your problems, I can also to diagnose your specific problem as
well.
I am confident that we can resolve all the WiFi issues you both may be
having.

Brian

--
Brian Wehrle
bwehrle@online.microsoft.com
Software Test Engineer/Wireless Networking
Microsoft Corp.

"Artitus" <Artitus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Tomi,
>
> Judging by the other posts on this newsgroup there is a problem with SP2
> and
> wireless networks. I have the same - do a search for Artitus and you will
> see just a couple of them and my specific problem.
>
> The only short term fix is to temporarily connect the laptop in question
> a hardwired ethernet cable as this seems to force windows to release the
> IP
> address. The wireless connection then sorts itself out, and the laptop
> can
> then be disconnected form the ethernet cable.
>
> I have not yet seen any other or permanent fixes for this.
>

> Simon.
>
> "Tomi" wrote:
>
>> I have had a problem with my wireless connection after installing SP2
>> today.
>>
>> After installing SP2 I have been able to connect to 802.11b wireless
>> network
>> but I am unable to receive IP address from DHCP. There were no problems
>> prior
>> to installing SP2. My wireless network is not encrypted nor secured any
>> other
>> way. My ethernet adapter is connected to the same switch as my WiFi
>> access
>> point. There are no problems with the ethernet connection, only with WiFi
>> connection.
>>
>> I have uninstalled the network driver, fetched the newest one from the
>> manufacturers home page and installed it. The problem remains.
>>
>> I have reinstalled TCP/IP protocol to network adapters as described in
>> Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 811259 How to determine and recover
>> from
>> Winsock2 corruption. No help.
>>
>> I am using Intel Centrino chipset with Intel Pro/wireless 2200BG chip for
>> WiFi connections. Intel claims my Wifi chipset is SP2 compatible.
>>
>> Does anybody have a solution?
>>
>> Tomi

Andrew

I had similar problems with SP2 - after installation my wireless connection
worked, but only for 20 minutes at a time. Right-click followed by disable
and enable restored the connection (but the icon in the display area still
said 'unavailable') for another 20 minutes - then the cycle had to be
repeated.

I got so fed up with the time wasted that I rolled back to pre SP2 and
everything works perfectly.

Can anyone explain this? I have tried turning firewalls off, disabling
antivirus software, all to no avail

Andrew

"Tomi" wrote:

> I have had a problem with my wireless connection after installing SP2 today.
>
> After installing SP2 I have been able to connect to 802.11b wireless network
> but I am unable to receive IP address from DHCP. There were no problems prior
> to installing SP2. My wireless network is not encrypted nor secured any other
> way. My ethernet adapter is connected to the same switch as my WiFi access
> point. There are no problems with the ethernet connection, only with WiFi
> connection.
>
> I have uninstalled the network driver, fetched the newest one from the
> manufacturers home page and installed it. The problem remains.
>
> I have reinstalled TCP/IP protocol to network adapters as described in
> Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 811259 How to determine and recover from
> Winsock2 corruption. No help.
>
> I am using Intel Centrino chipset with Intel Pro/wireless 2200BG chip for
> WiFi connections. Intel claims my Wifi chipset is SP2 compatible.
>
> Does anybody have a solution?
>
> Tomi

my linksys card had the same problem. according to linksys, the driver must
be updated, but they could not give a date.

"Andrew" <andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had similar problems with SP2 - after installation my wireless connection
> worked, but only for 20 minutes at a time. Right-click followed by disable
> and enable restored the connection (but the icon in the display area still
> said 'unavailable') for another 20 minutes - then the cycle had to be
> repeated.
>
> I got so fed up with the time wasted that I rolled back to pre SP2 and
> everything works perfectly.
>
> Can anyone explain this? I have tried turning firewalls off, disabling
> antivirus software, all to no avail
>
> Andrew
>

> "Tomi" wrote:
>
>> I have had a problem with my wireless connection after installing SP2
>> today.
>>
>> After installing SP2 I have been able to connect to 802.11b wireless
>> network
>> but I am unable to receive IP address from DHCP. There were no problems
>> prior
>> to installing SP2. My wireless network is not encrypted nor secured any
>> other
>> way. My ethernet adapter is connected to the same switch as my WiFi
>> access
>> point. There are no problems with the ethernet connection, only with WiFi
>> connection.
>>
>> I have uninstalled the network driver, fetched the newest one from the
>> manufacturers home page and installed it. The problem remains.
>>
>> I have reinstalled TCP/IP protocol to network adapters as described in
>> Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 811259 How to determine and recover
>> from
>> Winsock2 corruption. No help.
>>
>> I am using Intel Centrino chipset with Intel Pro/wireless 2200BG chip for
>> WiFi connections. Intel claims my Wifi chipset is SP2 compatible.
>>
>> Does anybody have a solution?
>>
>> Tomi

Robert

I had the same problem as well, what I did was basically just re-install the
driver for the wireless adapter, and the connection works fine now.

However, I am having problems with setting up a home network, which I had no
issues with before I installed SP2. Basically I can't get it to work, and I
have no idea why. Does it require all workgroup computers be on SP2?

Robert

"Jim C" wrote:

> my linksys card had the same problem. according to linksys, the driver must
> be updated, but they could not give a date.
>

> "Andrew" <andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had similar problems with SP2 - after installation my wireless connection
> > worked, but only for 20 minutes at a time. Right-click followed by disable
> > and enable restored the connection (but the icon in the display area still
> > said 'unavailable') for another 20 minutes - then the cycle had to be
> > repeated.
> >
> > I got so fed up with the time wasted that I rolled back to pre SP2 and
> > everything works perfectly.
> >
> > Can anyone explain this? I have tried turning firewalls off, disabling
> > antivirus software, all to no avail
> >
> > Andrew
> >

> > "Tomi" wrote:
> >
> >> I have had a problem with my wireless connection after installing SP2
> >> today.
> >>
> >> After installing SP2 I have been able to connect to 802.11b wireless
> >> network
> >> but I am unable to receive IP address from DHCP. There were no problems
> >> prior
> >> to installing SP2. My wireless network is not encrypted nor secured any
> >> other
> >> way. My ethernet adapter is connected to the same switch as my WiFi
> >> access
> >> point. There are no problems with the ethernet connection, only with WiFi
> >> connection.
> >>
> >> I have uninstalled the network driver, fetched the newest one from the
> >> manufacturers home page and installed it. The problem remains.
> >>
> >> I have reinstalled TCP/IP protocol to network adapters as described in
> >> Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 811259 How to determine and recover
> >> from
> >> Winsock2 corruption. No help.
> >>
> >> I am using Intel Centrino chipset with Intel Pro/wireless 2200BG chip for
> >> WiFi connections. Intel claims my Wifi chipset is SP2 compatible.
> >>
> >> Does anybody have a solution?
> >>
> >> Tomi

TOMI

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

Hi,

I got temporary help from the following script to the problem where wireless
network connection doesn't function with XP SP2 because it fails to retrieve
IP address from DHCP.

ipconfig /release
netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip reset c:\TCPIPResetlog.txt
ipconfig /renew

which reseted windows IP stack somehow. This functioned for multiple times.
Hoverever now even it doesn't help. I am stuck. I have tried the following in
addition:
- I have uninstalled the network driver, fetched the newest one from the
manufacturers home page and installed it.
- I have reinstalled TCP/IP protocol to network adapters as described in
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 811259 How to determine and recover from
Winsock2 corruption.
- I have tried to enable TCP/IP filtering with options Permit All as
described by someone on this forum.
- I have disabled the Wireless zero configuration service, rebooted, enabled
it again and rebooted.

Does anyone have any new tricks?

Tomi

"Brian Wehrle [MSFT]" wrote:

> Tomi,
>
> Let's try to remove this network from the list of WiFi networks. To do
> this, look at the network connections page, select this connection and view
> its properties. On the Wireless Networking tab of the Properties window you
> will find this Preferred Networks List. You can remove this problematic
> network from the list in a few clicks. If this is the only one in your
> list, well, wipe it clean.
>
> When you next come into range the View Available Networks window will let
> you optionally connect to this network (it won't automatically connect,
> because you've removed it from the preferred list. Now try connecting, and
> please let me know the final status indication that this network connection
> gives after the connection attempt. Once you connect, it will return to its
> place in the list of Preferred Networks.
>
> Hopefully there is some simple problem of incorrect configuration data. I
> am sure we can resolve your problem!
>
> Brian
>
> --
> Brian Wehrle
> bwehrle@online.microsoft.com
> Software Test Engineer/Wireless Networking
> Microsoft Corp.
>
> "Tomi" <Tomi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have had a problem with my wireless connection after installing SP2
> >today.
> >
> > After installing SP2 I have been able to connect to 802.11b wireless
> > network
> > but I am unable to receive IP address from DHCP. There were no problems
> > prior
> > to installing SP2. My wireless network is not encrypted nor secured any
> > other
> > way. My ethernet adapter is connected to the same switch as my WiFi access
> > point. There are no problems with the ethernet connection, only with WiFi
> > connection.
> >
> > I have uninstalled the network driver, fetched the newest one from the
> > manufacturers home page and installed it. The problem remains.
> >
> > I have reinstalled TCP/IP protocol to network adapters as described in
> > Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 811259 How to determine and recover
> > from
> > Winsock2 corruption. No help.
> >
> > I am using Intel Centrino chipset with Intel Pro/wireless 2200BG chip for
> > WiFi connections. Intel claims my Wifi chipset is SP2 compatible.
> >
> > Does anybody have a solution?
> >
> > Tomi

For all having problems with wireless connectivity after installing SP2,
this is what I did to fix the problem:
1) Establish a WIRED network connection
2) Run Windows update after SP2 is installed and make sure that your
wireless device is plugged in when you run the update.
3) Windows update will then find the new drivers for your wireless adapter
that work with SP2.
4) Download and install the new drivers for your wireless adapter
5) Disconnect your WIRED network connection

My symptoms prior to the above fix were the wireless network icon in the
system tray showed the SSID and an excellent signal, but I was unable to get
an ip address. Winipcfg showed "Media disconnected" for the wireless
adapter. Repair and/or Release and renew had no effect.
I tried two different USB wireless adapters with the same results; a Linksys
WUSB11 and a Dlink DWL 120e. DRIVERS FROM THE LINKSYS AND DLINK WEBSITES DID
NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM, THE ABOVE SOLUTION DID.
Try it you'll like it!
Bill

"Tomi" <Tomi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have had a problem with my wireless connection after installing SP2
today.

> After installing SP2 I have been able to connect to 802.11b wireless
network
> but I am unable to receive IP address from DHCP. There were no problems
prior
> to installing SP2. My wireless network is not encrypted nor secured any
other
> way. My ethernet adapter is connected to the same switch as my WiFi access
> point. There are no problems with the ethernet connection, only with WiFi
> connection.
>
> I have uninstalled the network driver, fetched the newest one from the
> manufacturers home page and installed it. The problem remains.
>
> I have reinstalled TCP/IP protocol to network adapters as described in
> Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 811259 How to determine and recover
from
> Winsock2 corruption. No help.
>
> I am using Intel Centrino chipset with Intel Pro/wireless 2200BG chip for
> WiFi connections. Intel claims my Wifi chipset is SP2 compatible.
>
> Does anybody have a solution?
>
> Tomi

Brian,

I'm all ears!

What steps would you like me to follow to start me down the track of sorting
this issue out?

Regards

Si.

"Brian Wehrle [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> prior
> >> to installing SP2. My wireless network is not encrypted nor secured any
> >> other
> >> way. My ethernet adapter is connected to the same switch as my WiFi
> >> access
> >> point. There are no problems with the ethernet connection, only with WiFi
> >> connection.
> >>
> >> I have uninstalled the network driver, fetched the newest one from the
> >> manufacturers home page and installed it. The problem remains.
> >>
> >> I have reinstalled TCP/IP protocol to network adapters as described in
> >> Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 811259 How to determine and recover
> >> from
> >> Winsock2 corruption. No help.
> >>
> >> I am using Intel Centrino chipset with Intel Pro/wireless 2200BG chip for
> >> WiFi connections. Intel claims my Wifi chipset is SP2 compatible.

Hi Brian,

I have had IDNETICAL problems to these. In my case the problem appears to
be IP address based. After installing SP2 I have brief connectivity to my
WLAN and then nothing. Roll back to SP1 and everything is fine.

I know my network encryption settings etc and they are all correct. There
are definitely issues in SP2 with wireless networking. I have no problems
with Windows any version from 98 up, except Windows XP SP2 which has some
sort of problem/setting that is not obvious.

Can you suggest a series of steps as mentioned in your previous post ?

Ta !

P.

"Brian Wehrle [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> prior
> >> to installing SP2. My wireless network is not encrypted nor secured any
> >> other
> >> way. My ethernet adapter is connected to the same switch as my WiFi
> >> access
> >> point. There are no problems with the ethernet connection, only with WiFi
> >> connection.
> >>
> >> I have uninstalled the network driver, fetched the newest one from the
> >> manufacturers home page and installed it. The problem remains.
> >>
> >> I have reinstalled TCP/IP protocol to network adapters as described in
> >> Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 811259 How to determine and recover
> >> from
> >> Winsock2 corruption. No help.
> >>
> >> I am using Intel Centrino chipset with Intel Pro/wireless 2200BG chip for
> >> WiFi connections. Intel claims my Wifi chipset is SP2 compatible.

Hi, strange you should have issues with SP2 and wireless as my home system
and my work setup works just fine. I've not changed any of the settings at
all.....
ChrisC