Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 and multiple pagefiles.

Last response: in Windows 7
December 28, 2010 11:46:45 PM

So I have Win7 64-bit with 12gb DDR3 on a 60gb Vertex 2 SSD. I've set aside 2gb of RAM as a RamDrive and have a 1.5gb pagefile on that. Reason for that is to move the pagefile off the system SSD. I also have a 10gb pagefile on it's own partition on a separate HDD.

With 10gb of working RAM (8.5gb free after Win7 loads), I very rarely need the pagefile. Which is why I put a 1.5gb pagefile on the RamDrive for the few programs that demand a pagefile be present despite having plenty of free RAM. But sometimes I process large photos, etc., and it does utilize very large pagefiles which is why I added the second 10gb pagefile on the HDD.

Now from my readings, it seems Windows decides which pagefile to use (in a multiple pagefile setting) depending on how fast the drive a particular pagefile is on, and whether that drive is busy, etc.

But I did a test recently and the system monitor Win7 gadget indicated I was using 100mb of the pagefile (max on RAM). But the Resource Monitor disk activity shows that both pagefiles were begin written to (about 500mb/sec).

So does anyone here have a deep understanding of how Windows 7 manages pagefiles, especially multiple pagefiles? Microsoft was pretty clear on their website that the pagefile that gets used first is the one on the faster drive. Since it was only using 100mb of the pagefile, I would think Windows would only need to use the 1.5gb pagefile on the RamDrive and not the 10gb one on the slower HDD.

Addendum: let's ignore the whole debate about using a RamDrive for a pagefile. For all intents and purposes, just assume you have two pagefiles on separate drives, with one drive being a lot faster than the other one. Question is - why is Windows writing to both pagefiles when clearly the 1.5gb pagefile has enough space and is faster?
a c 209 $ Windows 7
December 29, 2010 3:46:33 AM

I'm sorry, I don't really have an answer for the question you're asking.

But I'm in a very similar situation - 12GB of RAM and a Photoshop user. Photoshop and most decent editing packages let you control how much RAM they'll consume. It seems to me that the best solution to your problem is to simply tell your editing package not to use any more than, say, 8 to 10GB of RAM and then configure it's scratch file space to go on whatever disk you choose.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2010 2:05:02 PM

Your better off leaving W7 to use all the memory and setup 1.5GB pagefile on the 2nd hdd. Monitor usage of the pagefile and reduce as you go.
m
l
!