capture nicam sound

Hello,

I consider buying a tv-tuner card in order to use my pc as a video recorder.
I would like to know if there are any of the consumer grade cards that can
capture nicam sound directly without doing an d/a - a/d conversion? Or maybe
I am just too pessimistic and every modern card with nicam stereo can do
this? I have googled quite a while to get an answer to the question but it
seems like people have surprising little interrest in this.

I am going to use the card in Denmark.

Best,

Hans

I believe any card can capture NICAM sound. Like LifeView's FlyVideo 3000FM
series.

--Leonid

Hans Hansen <nospam@nospam.no> wrote:
: Hello,

: I consider buying a tv-tuner card in order to use my pc as a video recorder.
: I would like to know if there are any of the consumer grade cards that can
: capture nicam sound directly without doing an d/a - a/d conversion? Or maybe
: I am just too pessimistic and every modern card with nicam stereo can do
: this? I have googled quite a while to get an answer to the question but it
: seems like people have surprising little interrest in this.

: I am going to use the card in Denmark.

: Best,

: Hans

Hello Leoni

> I believe any card can capture NICAM sound. Like LifeView's FlyVideo
3000FM
> series.

Thank you for your answer.

The question is not wether you can capture the stereo sound. The question is
wether you can capture the sound as it is actually broadcasted or you can
only capture it after it has went through an d/a - a/d conversion in your
PC. Nicam is a digital format but I would suspect most cards to do such a
conversion anyway as that design will probably be cheapest since the card
would have to deal with standard analog mono sound anyway. If a sound card
is needed in order to capture sound, then it is sure that such a conversion
is made. If a sound card is not needed then such a conversion may be made
anyway.

Best,

Hans

Hans Hansen <nospam@nospam.no> wrote:
: The question is not wether you can capture the stereo sound. The question is
: wether you can capture the sound as it is actually broadcasted or you can
: only capture it after it has went through an d/a - a/d conversion in your
: PC. Nicam is a digital format but I would suspect most cards to do such a
: conversion anyway as that design will probably be cheapest since the card
: would have to deal with standard analog mono sound anyway. If a sound card
: is needed in order to capture sound, then it is sure that such a conversion
: is made. If a sound card is not needed then such a conversion may be made
: anyway.

I see. I didn't know NICAM was digital sound. If it's digital, I believe you
have to look for digital TV receivers and not for analog capture cards.

--Leonid

Lazarus

Near Instant Compund Audio Multiplexing

originally called NICAM 728 because it transmits 728kb of data per second
and the digital carrier is "piggybacked" on the picture signal.

IIRC the independant uk channels broadcast at 14bit but the bbc has 15bit

The OP needs a nicam decoder with digital output via spdif or optical....not
sure if such a thing exists but I would assume so......you`ll have to look
at the more pro retailers like RSC or CANFORD......maybe just maybe maplin
might have something....maybe in kit form even!

The above info is what I remember and it may not be 100% accurate but its
near enough!

"Leonid Makarovsky" <venom@cs.bu.edu> wrote in message
> Hans Hansen <nospam@nospam.no> wrote:
> : The question is not wether you can capture the stereo sound. The
question is
> : wether you can capture the sound as it is actually broadcasted or you
can
> : only capture it after it has went through an d/a - a/d conversion in
your
> : PC. Nicam is a digital format but I would suspect most cards to do such
> : conversion anyway as that design will probably be cheapest since the
card
> : would have to deal with standard analog mono sound anyway. If a sound
card
> : is needed in order to capture sound, then it is sure that such a
conversion
> : is made. If a sound card is not needed then such a conversion may be
made
> : anyway.
>

> I see. I didn't know NICAM was digital sound. If it's digital, I believe
you
> have to look for digital TV receivers and not for analog capture cards.
>
> --Leonid

Hello

> originally called NICAM 728 because it transmits 728kb of data per second
> and the digital carrier is "piggybacked" on the picture signal.

Oh, I always wondered where they sended the signal. But it is a part of the
picute, I see (and I guess that these days 728Kb per second would be almost
sufficient to send the picture itself digitally, amazing).

> IIRC the independant uk channels broadcast at 14bit but the bbc has 15bit
>
> The OP needs a nicam decoder with digital output via spdif or
optical....not
> sure if such a thing exists but I would assume so......you`ll have to look
> at the more pro retailers like RSC or CANFORD......maybe just maybe maplin
> might have something....maybe in kit form even!
>
> The above info is what I remember and it may not be 100% accurate but its
> near enough!

Okay thank you. Still, I belive it would be very natural to build it in as a
part of a PVR card. Also, that would avoid synchronization problems between
picture and sound. But okay, I guess most people really don't care so the
card producers don't spend the extra few money in making the cards in that
way.

Best,

Hans