Broadcast interference from tuner card

I have a TV tuner card connected to a VCR. The tuner card receives
sporadic broadcast transmissions (which is not surprising since I
guess that's what it is designed to do). But I only want it to receive
the signal from the VCR. When the VCR is not running, I can
occassionally even see a weak TV picture. The main problem is that
during VCR capture, I sometimes get audible pops in the audio stream.
Is there something like an "anti-antenna" that I can attach so the
tuner card will not act as a broadcast receiver?

Nat

"Nat Kane" wrote ...
> I have a TV tuner card connected to a VCR. The tuner card receives
> sporadic broadcast transmissions (which is not surprising since I
> guess that's what it is designed to do). But I only want it to receive
> the signal from the VCR. When the VCR is not running, I can
> occassionally even see a weak TV picture. The main problem is that
> during VCR capture, I sometimes get audible pops in the audio stream.
> Is there something like an "anti-antenna" that I can attach so the
> tuner card will not act as a broadcast receiver?

Not clear how your VCR is connected to computer (and/or antenna).
More complete description is in order.

Not clear how over-the-air signals are even getting into the
system while capturing from VCR. Bizzare. Never encountered
such a thing.

If you are using RF between VCR and computer tuner card, a
better quality cable may be in order (like "quad shield" stuff
the cable company uses)

If you are not using the RF/antenna input on computer tuner
card, plug in a terminator/shorting plug to keep RF out.

On Sat, 15 May 2004 17:00:45 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
<rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

>"Nat Kane" wrote ...
>> I have a TV tuner card connected to a VCR. The tuner card receives
>> sporadic broadcast transmissions (which is not surprising since I
>> guess that's what it is designed to do). But I only want it to receive
>> the signal from the VCR. When the VCR is not running, I can
>> occassionally even see a weak TV picture. The main problem is that
>> during VCR capture, I sometimes get audible pops in the audio stream.
>> Is there something like an "anti-antenna" that I can attach so the
>> tuner card will not act as a broadcast receiver?
>
>Not clear how your VCR is connected to computer (and/or antenna).
>More complete description is in order.
>
>Not clear how over-the-air signals are even getting into the
>system while capturing from VCR. Bizzare. Never encountered
>such a thing.

Unfortunately this is quite common on a lot of modern vcr's. The
isolation of the 2 signals is not that good. I understand it is a
bandwidth issue. I have about 14 vcr's including the latest top of
the range Sony. The only machine I have that does not do this is a 7
year old Panasonic. A vcr deck without a tuner built in would bypass
this problem.