papajohn.org seems to have a solution to my problem, but it's an incredibly
impractical solution. Here's a quote from his site:

8/23/04 - My movie file, even though it is basically the same compostion
project as the original seems to be limited to near 50 MB. The program works
fine for about 9 to 11 minutes and then the music continues, but the slides
discontinue to flow (either it freezes on the last slide or it goes black) I
have tried several attempts since the original and all have the same symptoms
and all fall in the range of 48 MB to 51.5 MB I have tried other output
formats too, NTSC for example, all high quality, but the same results. >
(Microsoft) We've seen other reports of this behaviour especially on
timelines with a lot of transitions. The good news is that we made a fix in
Windows Movie Maker 2.1 within Windows XP SP2 so this problem is far more
unlikely to occur. If you don't want to install SP2 yet you can also try the
following workaround. Sometimes just trying to save your movie again will
work, as it doesn't always repro 100% of the time. If in your case it is
consistenly failing then the other suggestion I have is to save your movie as
a DV-AVI file first. To do this, when you're on the Movie Settings page
choose "Other Settings" and select DV-AVI from the list (if Other Settings
isn't visible then click "Show more choices..."). Play back the resultant
DV-AVI file to make sure that it's OK. If you ultimately want a DVD, you
should be able to import that DV-AVI file into Sonic MyDVD. If you want to
save it as a WMV file to save disk space you can also import the DV-AVI file
back into MovieMaker, drag it down to the timeline then publish it again as a
WMV file with your choice of profile.

~~~~~~~~~~~

That's exactly my problem. I've tried saving my slideshow twice now, and
both times it's had this problem. One thing I noticed while saving it was
that both times it suddenly jumped to 98% and stayed there for about five
minutes, and if it did this at 33 %, then the error occured a third of the
way through the video. It almost made it through the second time --- it was
so close --- so I'm just going to keep trying until it gets it. Saving it as
a DV AVI file requires six THOUSAND megabytes of storage, and there is no way
I'll do that. Does anyone have any tips other than to keep tryin?

A 6gb file is about 30 minutes of video in DV-AVI format. Absolutely
correct. Digital editing takes a LOT of hard drive space and requires a
high end CPU and sufficient RAM in order to be successful.

I've had files of 66gb in size on my drives. Not a problem. Just ensure
you defrag your hard drive before working on MovieMaker and run a Disk
Cleanup often.

If you don't have that much hard drive space available then either save as
WMV file (and get a much lower resolution as a result) or add a secondary
hard drive for your video files.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Ferguson" <Ferguson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> papajohn.org seems to have a solution to my problem, but it's an
> incredibly
> impractical solution. Here's a quote from his site:
>

> That's exactly my problem. I've tried saving my slideshow twice now, and
> both times it's had this problem. One thing I noticed while saving it was
> that both times it suddenly jumped to 98% and stayed there for about five
> minutes, and if it did this at 33 %, then the error occured a third of the
> way through the video. It almost made it through the second time --- it
> was
> so close --- so I'm just going to keep trying until it gets it. Saving it
> as
> a DV AVI file requires six THOUSAND megabytes of storage, and there is no
> way
> I'll do that. Does anyone have any tips other than to keep tryin?

Thanks Cari! That's twice you've come to my rescue.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> A 6gb file is about 30 minutes of video in DV-AVI format. Absolutely
> correct. Digital editing takes a LOT of hard drive space and requires a
> high end CPU and sufficient RAM in order to be successful.
>
> I've had files of 66gb in size on my drives. Not a problem. Just ensure
> you defrag your hard drive before working on MovieMaker and run a Disk
> Cleanup often.
>
> If you don't have that much hard drive space available then either save as
> WMV file (and get a much lower resolution as a result) or add a secondary
> hard drive for your video files.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>
> "Ferguson" <Ferguson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > papajohn.org seems to have a solution to my problem, but it's an
> > incredibly
> > impractical solution. Here's a quote from his site:
> >

> > That's exactly my problem. I've tried saving my slideshow twice now, and
> > both times it's had this problem. One thing I noticed while saving it was
> > that both times it suddenly jumped to 98% and stayed there for about five
> > minutes, and if it did this at 33 %, then the error occured a third of the
> > way through the video. It almost made it through the second time --- it
> > was
> > so close --- so I'm just going to keep trying until it gets it. Saving it
> > as
> > a DV AVI file requires six THOUSAND megabytes of storage, and there is no
> > way
> > I'll do that. Does anyone have any tips other than to keep tryin?

TRENDING THREADS