HELP- Wanting to edit tv recordings ??? program to use

I am new to editing video, and have just purchased a XP Media Center PC..
When I try to edit out commercials using Nero Burning 6, the program
crashes.. the files are big 1.5-3 gigs.

Does anyone have suggestions on a program to use for editing out
commercials? I don't know if the problem is with XP media OS or the
programs I have used? I am using a hyperthreading P4 and should have enough
memory. Any suggestions are appreciated

Thanks,

Diann McKillip
angelbabe777us@yahoo.com