transferring video

thanks out there. i would like to use an external hookup. i can now go to the
suggested web site and see if i can make anything out of it. this is so much
better than going to a 'help' site. thanks again.
sonja

You want to transfer video from what to what....?

Presumably to your PC but from what type of device?
www.coribright.com

"sonja" <sonja@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> thanks out there. i would like to use an external hookup. i can now go to
> the
> suggested web site and see if i can make anything out of it. this is so
> much
> better than going to a 'help' site. thanks again.
> sonja

i'm looking to transfer my 8mm film directly from my camcorder to my hard
drive for recording to a dvd. i'm hoping a simple plug in would do the trick
but what do i use to connect my camcorder to my p.c.? i have way more
capacity to do these things with than i have knowledge on how to use it.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> You want to transfer video from what to what....?
>
> Presumably to your PC but from what type of device?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing & Imaging
> www.coribright.com
>
> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>
> "sonja" <sonja@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > thanks out there. i would like to use an external hookup. i can now go to
> > the
> > suggested web site and see if i can make anything out of it. this is so
> > much
> > better than going to a 'help' site. thanks again.
> > sonja

If this is an analog camcorder you'll need an analog capture card and the
appropriate cables. If it's a digital camcorder, you'll need a firewire
port on your PC or a firewire (aka iLink, aka IEEE 1394) PCI card.

You might want to take a look at www.videohelp.com for some independent
reviews of different hardware.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

> i'm looking to transfer my 8mm film directly from my camcorder to my hard
> drive for recording to a dvd. i'm hoping a simple plug in would do the
> trick
> but what do i use to connect my camcorder to my p.c.? i have way more
> capacity to do these things with than i have knowledge on how to use it.
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> You want to transfer video from what to what....?
>>
>> Presumably to your PC but from what type of device?
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing & Imaging
>> www.coribright.com
>>
>> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>>
>> "sonja" <sonja@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > thanks out there. i would like to use an external hookup. i can now go
>> > the
>> > suggested web site and see if i can make anything out of it. this is so
>> > much
>> > better than going to a 'help' site. thanks again.
>> > sonja

If it's a Hi8 camcorder you can do as Cari says and get a capture card, or
look at the external analogue to digital convertors.
These are easier to use as you just plug the cam in one end and the other
into the pc. There are cheap ones from the likes of pinnacle, some connect
to the pc via usb2, these work well for some and not others, with
connectivity problems and audio/video sync problems.
Better quality, but more expensive, are the units from canopus - advc
range - or miglia. They have built in tba, to keep the audio and video in
sync and connect via firewire, so all editing apps will use them. So long as
you have firewire (i-link / ieee1394) on the pc
So, pay your money make your choice :)

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media