If recording from VHS, what quality should I capture audio..

labortius

Distinguished
May 17, 2004

Hi all.

I'm trying to record from VHS to avi using virtual dub. I tend to use
44.1 to capture audio from the VHS tape, but is VHS worse quality than
this? (DVD is at 48Khz, I think, and I know VHS audio has worse
reproduction, frequency range etc). Can I save some recording space
by matching the capture quality to what is coming off the tape?

Thanks for any advice,

lab.

"labortius" wrote ...
> I'm trying to record from VHS to avi using virtual dub. I tend to use
> 44.1 to capture audio from the VHS tape, but is VHS worse quality than
> this? (DVD is at 48Khz, I think, and I know VHS audio has worse
> reproduction, frequency range etc). Can I save some recording space
> by matching the capture quality to what is coming off the tape?

What are you doing with it? If burning to DVD, you will need a
recording rate compatible with it.

labortius wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I'm trying to record from VHS to avi using virtual dub. I tend to use
> 44.1 to capture audio from the VHS tape, but is VHS worse quality than
> this? (DVD is at 48Khz, I think, and I know VHS audio has worse
> reproduction, frequency range etc). Can I save some recording space
> by matching the capture quality to what is coming off the tape?
>
> Thanks for any advice,
>
> lab.

In my humble opinion, you should match the recording sampling rate and bit
depth with the intended output.

--
www.odysea.ca

labortius

Distinguished
May 17, 2004

I was just planning to put them into divx avis to store on CD and play
on my computer, but my thinking is why waste space recording at 44.1
if VHS is only 22kHz or so?