Movie Clip on DVD too big for TV display.

April 6, 2005 5:47:19 AM

Hi,

I have an *.avi file I downloaded from the internet. The images are
320x216. After burning the clip to DVD I played it on my TV and it appears
as though the clip's images are too big for the TV (parts of the image seem
to be either missing or would be showing if the TV screen was bigger).

The video file properties are as follows:

Clip.avi

Width: 320 pixels
Height: 216 pixels
Frame Rate: 29 frames/sec
Frame: 157 kbps
Video Sample Size: 24 bit
Video Compression: DivX codec

The TV is an LG Flatron (Model: CT-29Q24ET).

I have tried changing the Aspect Ratios on the TV and DVD however only have
a choice of 4:3 or 16:9. 16:9 seems to partially fix the problem however
the image still appears too wide.

Windows Movie Maker and my Burning Software (Cyberlink - PowerProducer 2
Gold ) seem to be inadequate to resolve this problem.

What can I do to enable the whole image to be displayed on the TV Screen?

Many thanks,

David
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 1:41:35 PM

Hi,

Me again.

I note that when I replay the DVD on my PC the full image is displayed,
there is definitely something I am missing. It's almost like I need to make
the movie compatible for my TV or DVD player???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David

"David Saywell" <saywell@mcmedia.com.au> wrote in message
news:o j9yBbfOFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> I have an *.avi file I downloaded from the internet. The images are
> 320x216. After burning the clip to DVD I played it on my TV and it
> appears as though the clip's images are too big for the TV (parts of the
> image seem to be either missing or would be showing if the TV screen was
> bigger).
>
> The video file properties are as follows:
>
> Clip.avi
>
> Width: 320 pixels
> Height: 216 pixels
> Frame Rate: 29 frames/sec
> Frame: 157 kbps
> Video Sample Size: 24 bit
> Video Compression: DivX codec
>
> The TV is an LG Flatron (Model: CT-29Q24ET).
>
> I have tried changing the Aspect Ratios on the TV and DVD however only
> have a choice of 4:3 or 16:9. 16:9 seems to partially fix the problem
> however the image still appears too wide.
>
> Windows Movie Maker and my Burning Software (Cyberlink - PowerProducer 2
> Gold ) seem to be inadequate to resolve this problem.
>
> What can I do to enable the whole image to be displayed on the TV Screen?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> David

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 2:43:57 PM

For the benefit of the group,

Please see the below explanation:

"Rehan" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>I think you are seeing the TV safe region/overscan effect. TV standard
>require that some part of the video (5%) is not shown from all the sides.
>This is a standard feature and therefore one has to take this into account
>if one want to show the final movie onto a TV.
>

> --
> Rehan
> www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows Movie Maker

Hi Rehan,

Thanks for the explanation, it certainly explains why I haven't found a
solution. At least I know now.

Kind regards,

news:o 8jQDkjOFHA.1932@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

!