D Drive Won't Recognize a DVD

When I put a DVD in my D Drive the green light flashes as usual but both My
Computer and my DVD copy software show no disc in Drive D. My E Drive works
fine and plays any DVD (+ or -) that I put in so it can't be a decoder
problem (I have Power DVD installed) can it? Audio CDs play just fine in the
D Drive. Why isn't the D Drive recognizing the DVDs? Help!!!
3 answers Last reply
More about drive recognize

    There are different lasers for CD and DVDs in the drive so it's possible
    that either the lens is dirty or the lens has died.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "marcuslama" <marcuslama@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I put a DVD in my D Drive the green light flashes as usual but both
    > My
    > Computer and my DVD copy software show no disc in Drive D. My E Drive
    > works
    > fine and plays any DVD (+ or -) that I put in so it can't be a decoder
    > problem (I have Power DVD installed) can it? Audio CDs play just fine in
    > the
    > D Drive. Why isn't the D Drive recognizing the DVDs? Help!!!

    My DVD player will play certain DVD's I own but not others. That means it
    can't be a problem with the lens, right? But I've never had this problem
    before... any suggestions?

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > There are different lasers for CD and DVDs in the drive so it's possible
    > that either the lens is dirty or the lens has died.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >
    > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >
    > "marcuslama" <marcuslama@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I put a DVD in my D Drive the green light flashes as usual but both
    > > My
    > > Computer and my DVD copy software show no disc in Drive D. My E Drive
    > > works
    > > fine and plays any DVD (+ or -) that I put in so it can't be a decoder
    > > problem (I have Power DVD installed) can it? Audio CDs play just fine in
    > > the
    > > D Drive. Why isn't the D Drive recognizing the DVDs? Help!!!

    Ensure the disks it cannot play are the correct format for the drive Ensure
    they are clean - free of dust and fingerprints.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Rachael" <Rachael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My DVD player will play certain DVD's I own but not others. That means it
    > can't be a problem with the lens, right? But I've never had this problem
    > before... any suggestions?
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> There are different lasers for CD and DVDs in the drive so it's possible
    >> that either the lens is dirty or the lens has died.
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> Printing & Imaging
    >>
    >> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >>
    >> "marcuslama" <marcuslama@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > When I put a DVD in my D Drive the green light flashes as usual but
    >> > both
    >> > My
    >> > Computer and my DVD copy software show no disc in Drive D. My E Drive
    >> > works
    >> > fine and plays any DVD (+ or -) that I put in so it can't be a decoder
    >> > problem (I have Power DVD installed) can it? Audio CDs play just fine
    >> > in
    >> > the
    >> > D Drive. Why isn't the D Drive recognizing the DVDs? Help!!!

Video DVD Windows XP