Looking for good editing software that will edit huge files.

Now that I have tons of storage, I have digitized a lot of my video
into big files and want to clip scenes out of them to edit together.

All I have is Premiere (6?), and when you try to import a clip froim a
huge file in that program it just locks up with a hourglass and is
totally unusable for that purpose.

Anyone know of a program which is better suited to what I want to do?

"Seth Brundle" <brundlefly76@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Now that I have tons of storage, I have digitized a lot of my video
> into big files and want to clip scenes out of them to edit together.
>
> All I have is Premiere (6?), and when you try to import a clip froim a
> huge file in that program it just locks up with a hourglass and is
> totally unusable for that purpose.
>
> Anyone know of a program which is better suited to what I want to do?

Either your computer is incorrectly configured or simply not powerful
enough. I routinely edit large files in Premiere (originally 6.0, then 6.5
and now Pro) without any problems at all.

Seth Brundle wrote:

> Now that I have tons of storage, I have digitized a lot of my video
> into big files and want to clip scenes out of them to edit together.
>
> All I have is Premiere (6?), and when you try to import a clip froim a
> huge file in that program it just locks up with a hourglass and is
> totally unusable for that purpose.
>
> Anyone know of a program which is better suited to what I want to do?

What format? AVI? Mpeg-2?

And are you going to transcode or do you need to output back to a Firewire
device?

For transcoding AVI, try VirtualDub. It's free (and open source).

For mpeg-2, you can try the mpeg-2 mod of VirtualDub (aptly called
VirtualDub-mpeg2).

Both can easily be found via Google.

In case VirtualDub-mpeg2 isn't working, try the $50 "mpeg-vcr" from
www.womble.com.

Seth Brundle wrote:

> Now that I have tons of storage, I have digitized a lot of my video
> into big files and want to clip scenes out of them to edit together.
>
> All I have is Premiere (6?), and when you try to import a clip froim a
> huge file in that program it just locks up with a hourglass and is
> totally unusable for that purpose.
>
> Anyone know of a program which is better suited to what I want to do?

Any program should be able to do what you want. I find it hard to
believe that Premiere has trouble with it. (Though it's been a while
since I used it)

If you just want to cut it into more manageable pieces, try VirtualDub.
Set the audio and video modes to Direct Stream Copy, and it will
create clips without re-rendering either.

-WD

Seth Brundle... The Fly.

Ahhh Yes..

Premiere will indeed handle large files.

Seth Brundle wrote:

>> Now that I have tons of storage, I have digitized a lot of my video
>> into big files and want to clip scenes out of them to edit together.

What are 'big' files. The size of them would help.

>> All I have is Premiere (6?), and when you try to import a clip froim a
>> huge file in that program it just locks up with a hourglass and is
>> totally unusable for that purpose.
>>
>> Anyone know of a program which is better suited to what I want to do?

How much system ram and what OS are you using. Computer specs would be
nice.
I have used Premiere 6 with large files, but am using NTFS file system.

On Mon, 17 May 2004 22:52:27 GMT, Will Dormann
<wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
Sniped

>If you just want to cut it into more manageable pieces, try VirtualDub.
> Set the audio and video modes to Direct Stream Copy, and it will
>create clips without re-rendering either.
>

>-WD

Hi

I tried the above as you sugested using a MPEG2 file captured using
Nebula and I got the following message :

[E] Error: The source video stream uses a compression algorithm which
is not
compatible with AVI files. Direct stream copy cannot be used with
this
video stream.

■ Ending operation.

biggerlens wrote:

> I tried the above as you sugested using a MPEG2 file captured using
> Nebula and I got the following message :
>

> [E] Error: The source video stream uses a compression algorithm which
> is not
> compatible with AVI files. Direct stream copy cannot be used with
> this
> video stream.

And that's one of the reasons why you should never capture in MPEG2
format. :)

I think the Womble MPEG2VCR software can do MPEG2 splitting without
re-encoding, but it's not free.

-WD

Will Dormann wrote:

> I think the Womble MPEG2VCR software can do MPEG2 splitting without
> re-encoding, but it's not free.

It's not free, but it's not expensive either, and it works great.

TonyP <arpierre@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<xxuqc.63521$MH.14950740@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
> Seth Brundle wrote:
> >
> >> Now that I have tons of storage, I have digitized a lot of my video
> >> into big files and want to clip scenes out of them to edit together.
>
> What are 'big' files. The size of them would help.

4GB

> >> All I have is Premiere (6?), and when you try to import a clip froim a
> >> huge file in that program it just locks up with a hourglass and is
> >> totally unusable for that purpose.
> >>
> >> Anyone know of a program which is better suited to what I want to do?
>
> How much system ram and what OS are you using. Computer specs would be
> nice.

1GB DDR400, P4 3.2GHz/800Mhz, Windows XP Professional
When I do a File...open on a 4GB MPG, Premiere 6 just chokes.

> I have used Premiere 6 with large files, but am using NTFS file system.

I use MSP 6 and Vegas Video 4 regularly with 13-20 Gig files.

: TonyP <arpierre@optonline.net> wrote in message
: > Seth Brundle wrote:
: > >
: > >> Now that I have tons of storage, I have digitized a lot of my video
: > >> into big files and want to clip scenes out of them to edit together.
: >
: > What are 'big' files. The size of them would help.
:
: 4GB
:
: > >> All I have is Premiere (6?), and when you try to import a clip froim
: > >> huge file in that program it just locks up with a hourglass and is
: > >> totally unusable for that purpose.
: > >>
: > >> Anyone know of a program which is better suited to what I want to do?
: >
: > How much system ram and what OS are you using. Computer specs would be
: > nice.
:
: 1GB DDR400, P4 3.2GHz/800Mhz, Windows XP Professional
: When I do a File...open on a 4GB MPG, Premiere 6 just chokes.
:
: > I have used Premiere 6 with large files, but am using NTFS file system.

Try Vegas Video 5. I have editied several 4 GB Mpeg-Files without any
problems.
A demo version is available.

Martin

Seth Brundle wrote:

> TonyP <arpierre@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<xxuqc.63521$MH.14950740@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
>>What are 'big' files. The size of them would help.

> 4GB

Have you tried files smaller that 4 gigs? I know when I used Fat32, I
would keep the files under 4 gigs. It seemed that when I very close to
that limit, I would have problems.

>>How much system ram and what OS are you using. Computer specs would be
>>nice.

> 1GB DDR400, P4 3.2GHz/800Mhz, Windows XP Professional
> When I do a File...open on a 4GB MPG, Premiere 6 just chokes.

With XP Pro, you should be not be having a problem. You have more than
enough ram. I have not tried mpg files in Premiere. I use avi's.
Reading through the manual, video formats supported are Type 2 AVI, MOV,
and Open DML (windows only). Nothing listed about mpg. I have used mp3's
in my videos and they aren't listed in the supported audio formats.
Here is a link that might give you a little more info...
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/29ad2.htm

"Although Premiere can import and export MPEG files, Adobe recommends
that you don't use MPEG files as source files in a Premiere project.
Instead, use MPEG as the final output format of your project. MPEG files
don't lend themselves to editing because the video frames in an MPEG
file aren't self-contained. That is, any given video frame contains only
the information that has changed from the previous frame. During
editing, a previous frame required to fully decompress a given frame may
not be present, resulting in poor quality of the final rendered frame."

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

biggerlens <nomzbegspam@noblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:<arima0hojm9u1k4312v868bh8ohvlsdve0@4ax.com>...
> On Mon, 17 May 2004 22:52:27 GMT, Will Dormann
> <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
> Sniped
> >
> >If you just want to cut it into more manageable pieces, try VirtualDub.
> > Set the audio and video modes to Direct Stream Copy, and it will
> >create clips without re-rendering either.
> >

> >-WD
>
> Hi
>
> I tried the above as you sugested using a MPEG2 file captured using
> Nebula and I got the following message :
>

> [E] Error: The source video stream uses a compression algorithm which
> is not
> compatible with AVI files. Direct stream copy cannot be used with
> this
> video stream.
>
> ■ Ending operation.

To edit or trim MPG2 files, the only program that works every time for
me is VideoReDo <http://www.drdsystems.com/VideoReDo/index.html>.
About $50, lightning fast, and the developer responds instantly to
questions. I had a file that gave it problems and he sent me a new
version the next day. I've never had audio and video go out of synch
and the cuts are frame-accurate.

Eric