Media Player 10 struggling with AVI,WMV files

Hello everyone -

(note: this message was also posted on comp.os.ms-windows.misc before I
found this group. Sorry for the multi-posting)

I have an interesting problem with Windows Media Player 10. If I
double-click on an AVI or WMV file from Windows Explorer, Media Player
*might* play it the first time, but after that the CPU usage jumps to 100%
and the player slows down to where it basically can't play the file.
(Taskmanager shows CPU usage jumping back and forth b/t Explorer and Media
Player)

However, if I first load Media Player and then open the file from wihtin it,
the file runs fine every time. I can double-click on mpegs with no playing
trouble. It seems like it may be a problem with Windows Explorer, but what
could the problem be and how do I fix it?

My system is a new AMD64 3200+ on an Abit AV8 motherboard, 1G RAM, nVidia FX
5500 graphics card. This problem is new since installing the CPU/MB combo.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks,
jab3
4 answers Last reply
More about media player struggling files

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 14:00:04 -0400, jab3
    <jab3@_del_linuxmail._del_org> wrote:

    >Hello everyone -
    >
    >(note: this message was also posted on comp.os.ms-windows.misc before I
    >found this group. Sorry for the multi-posting)
    >
    >I have an interesting problem with Windows Media Player 10. If I
    >double-click on an AVI or WMV file from Windows Explorer, Media Player
    >*might* play it the first time, but after that the CPU usage jumps to 100%
    >and the player slows down to where it basically can't play the file.
    >(Taskmanager shows CPU usage jumping back and forth b/t Explorer and Media
    >Player)
    >
    >However, if I first load Media Player and then open the file from wihtin it,
    >the file runs fine every time. I can double-click on mpegs with no playing
    >trouble. It seems like it may be a problem with Windows Explorer, but what
    >could the problem be and how do I fix it?
    >
    >My system is a new AMD64 3200+ on an Abit AV8 motherboard, 1G RAM, nVidia FX
    >5500 graphics card. This problem is new since installing the CPU/MB combo.
    >
    >Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. :)
    >

    >Thanks,
    >jab3
    What version of Windows are you running? Any service pack applied?
    This might be due to shmedia.dll.
    Try unregistering the dll and recreate the problem:
    from the CMD prompt enter
    regsvr32.exe /u "c:\windows\system32\shmedia.dll"

    Is the problem gone now? You could leave the system like this -
    many have, the only missing functionality is the right click
    advanced properties on AVI files.

    To undo the above command, issue it agian with out the /u

    Dave

    da_test wrote:

    > On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 14:00:04 -0400, jab3
    > <jab3@_del_linuxmail._del_org> wrote:
    >
    >>Hello everyone -
    >>
    >>(note: this message was also posted on comp.os.ms-windows.misc before I
    >>found this group. Sorry for the multi-posting)
    >>
    >>I have an interesting problem with Windows Media Player 10. If I
    >>double-click on an AVI or WMV file from Windows Explorer, Media Player
    >>*might* play it the first time, but after that the CPU usage jumps to 100%
    >>and the player slows down to where it basically can't play the file.
    >>(Taskmanager shows CPU usage jumping back and forth b/t Explorer and Media
    >>Player)
    >>
    >>However, if I first load Media Player and then open the file from wihtin
    >>it,
    >>the file runs fine every time. I can double-click on mpegs with no
    >>playing
    >>trouble. It seems like it may be a problem with Windows Explorer, but
    >>what could the problem be and how do I fix it?
    >>
    >>My system is a new AMD64 3200+ on an Abit AV8 motherboard, 1G RAM, nVidia
    >>FX
    >>5500 graphics card. This problem is new since installing the CPU/MB
    >>combo.
    >>
    >>Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. :)
    >>

    >>Thanks,
    >>jab3
    > What version of Windows are you running? Any service pack applied?

    Sorry. Windows XP SP2.

    > This might be due to shmedia.dll.
    > Try unregistering the dll and recreate the problem:
    > from the CMD prompt enter
    > regsvr32.exe /u "c:\windows\system32\shmedia.dll"
    >
    > Is the problem gone now? You could leave the system like this -
    > many have, the only missing functionality is the right click
    > advanced properties on AVI files.
    >
    > To undo the above command, issue it agian with out the /u
    >
    > Dave

    That didn't work, unfortunately. Thanks for the idea though.

    -jab3

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:27:28 -0400, jab3
    <jab3@_del_linuxmail._del_org> wrote:

    >> This might be due to shmedia.dll.
    >> Try unregistering the dll and recreate the problem:
    >> from the CMD prompt enter
    >> regsvr32.exe /u "c:\windows\system32\shmedia.dll"
    >>
    >> Is the problem gone now? You could leave the system like this -
    >> many have, the only missing functionality is the right click
    >> advanced properties on AVI files.
    >>
    >> To undo the above command, issue it agian with out the /u
    >>
    >> Dave
    >
    >That didn't work, unfortunately. Thanks for the idea though.
    >

    >-jab3
    Perhaps the process explorer from sysinternals.com may help.
    Recreate the problem, use process explorer to identify the thread
    within explorer that's using the cpu.
    Dave

    TB

    I like to download movies. Most of the movies and music videos are in wmv
    format.
    They download faster, but when I go to play them they won't play. Only the
    avi's play. Can you help me. I'm not sure how you solved your problem. I'ts
    becoming real fustrating.

    "jab3" wrote:

    > Hello everyone -
    >
    > (note: this message was also posted on comp.os.ms-windows.misc before I
    > found this group. Sorry for the multi-posting)
    >
    > I have an interesting problem with Windows Media Player 10. If I
    > double-click on an AVI or WMV file from Windows Explorer, Media Player
    > *might* play it the first time, but after that the CPU usage jumps to 100%
    > and the player slows down to where it basically can't play the file.
    > (Taskmanager shows CPU usage jumping back and forth b/t Explorer and Media
    > Player)
    >
    > However, if I first load Media Player and then open the file from wihtin it,
    > the file runs fine every time. I can double-click on mpegs with no playing
    > trouble. It seems like it may be a problem with Windows Explorer, but what
    > could the problem be and how do I fix it?
    >
    > My system is a new AMD64 3200+ on an Abit AV8 motherboard, 1G RAM, nVidia FX
    > 5500 graphics card. This problem is new since installing the CPU/MB combo.
    >
    > Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. :)
    >

    > Thanks,
    > jab3

Video Windows Explorer Media Player Windows XP