Media Player 10 struggling with AVI,WMV files

Hello everyone -

(note: this message was also posted on comp.os.ms-windows.misc before I
found this group. Sorry for the multi-posting)

I have an interesting problem with Windows Media Player 10. If I
double-click on an AVI or WMV file from Windows Explorer, Media Player
*might* play it the first time, but after that the CPU usage jumps to 100%
and the player slows down to where it basically can't play the file.
(Taskmanager shows CPU usage jumping back and forth b/t Explorer and Media
Player)

However, if I first load Media Player and then open the file from wihtin it,
the file runs fine every time. I can double-click on mpegs with no playing
trouble. It seems like it may be a problem with Windows Explorer, but what
could the problem be and how do I fix it?

My system is a new AMD64 3200+ on an Abit AV8 motherboard, 1G RAM, nVidia FX
5500 graphics card. This problem is new since installing the CPU/MB combo.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks,
jab3

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 14:00:04 -0400, jab3
<jab3@_del_linuxmail._del_org> wrote:

>Hello everyone -
>
>(note: this message was also posted on comp.os.ms-windows.misc before I
>found this group. Sorry for the multi-posting)
>
>I have an interesting problem with Windows Media Player 10. If I
>double-click on an AVI or WMV file from Windows Explorer, Media Player
>*might* play it the first time, but after that the CPU usage jumps to 100%
>and the player slows down to where it basically can't play the file.
>(Taskmanager shows CPU usage jumping back and forth b/t Explorer and Media
>Player)
>
>However, if I first load Media Player and then open the file from wihtin it,
>the file runs fine every time. I can double-click on mpegs with no playing
>trouble. It seems like it may be a problem with Windows Explorer, but what
>could the problem be and how do I fix it?
>
>My system is a new AMD64 3200+ on an Abit AV8 motherboard, 1G RAM, nVidia FX
>5500 graphics card. This problem is new since installing the CPU/MB combo.
>
>Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. :)
>

>Thanks,
>jab3
What version of Windows are you running? Any service pack applied?
This might be due to shmedia.dll.
Try unregistering the dll and recreate the problem:
from the CMD prompt enter
regsvr32.exe /u "c:\windows\system32\shmedia.dll"

Is the problem gone now? You could leave the system like this -
many have, the only missing functionality is the right click
advanced properties on AVI files.

To undo the above command, issue it agian with out the /u

Dave

da_test wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 14:00:04 -0400, jab3
> <jab3@_del_linuxmail._del_org> wrote:
>
>>Hello everyone -
>>
>>(note: this message was also posted on comp.os.ms-windows.misc before I
>>found this group. Sorry for the multi-posting)
>>
>>I have an interesting problem with Windows Media Player 10. If I
>>double-click on an AVI or WMV file from Windows Explorer, Media Player
>>*might* play it the first time, but after that the CPU usage jumps to 100%
>>and the player slows down to where it basically can't play the file.
>>(Taskmanager shows CPU usage jumping back and forth b/t Explorer and Media
>>Player)
>>
>>However, if I first load Media Player and then open the file from wihtin
>>it,
>>the file runs fine every time. I can double-click on mpegs with no
>>playing
>>trouble. It seems like it may be a problem with Windows Explorer, but
>>what could the problem be and how do I fix it?
>>
>>My system is a new AMD64 3200+ on an Abit AV8 motherboard, 1G RAM, nVidia
>>FX
>>5500 graphics card. This problem is new since installing the CPU/MB
>>combo.
>>
>>Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. :)
>>

>>Thanks,
>>jab3
> What version of Windows are you running? Any service pack applied?

Sorry. Windows XP SP2.

> This might be due to shmedia.dll.
> Try unregistering the dll and recreate the problem:
> from the CMD prompt enter
> regsvr32.exe /u "c:\windows\system32\shmedia.dll"
>
> Is the problem gone now? You could leave the system like this -
> many have, the only missing functionality is the right click
> advanced properties on AVI files.
>
> To undo the above command, issue it agian with out the /u
>
> Dave

That didn't work, unfortunately. Thanks for the idea though.

-jab3

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:27:28 -0400, jab3
<jab3@_del_linuxmail._del_org> wrote:

>> This might be due to shmedia.dll.
>> Try unregistering the dll and recreate the problem:
>> from the CMD prompt enter
>> regsvr32.exe /u "c:\windows\system32\shmedia.dll"
>>
>> Is the problem gone now? You could leave the system like this -
>> many have, the only missing functionality is the right click
>> advanced properties on AVI files.
>>
>> To undo the above command, issue it agian with out the /u
>>
>> Dave
>
>That didn't work, unfortunately. Thanks for the idea though.
>

>-jab3
Perhaps the process explorer from sysinternals.com may help.
Recreate the problem, use process explorer to identify the thread
within explorer that's using the cpu.
Dave

TB

TB

I like to download movies. Most of the movies and music videos are in wmv
format.
They download faster, but when I go to play them they won't play. Only the
avi's play. Can you help me. I'm not sure how you solved your problem. I'ts
becoming real fustrating.