Wireless data rate

papa

Is it not true that the wireless data rate is much slower than wired? I
started to download the Windows XP Service Pack 2 with my wireless card, and
it looked like it was going to take forever. So I plugged in a Category 5
cable from my laptop to my router, and the data rate seemed to be at least
10 times faster.

Geo

Well, 802.11b is rated at 11mb/s, 802.11g at 54mb/s and a typical Cat5 cable
will be 100mb/s (could also be 10, 1000). But that isn't usually the
bottleneck when downloading something from the internet. Your connection
speed from your ISP is usually the slowest part of the whole process. Cable
is around 1.5-5mb/s, DSL 0.5-3mb/s. So you really shouldn't notice a
difference unless you have a weak wireless signal which will slow your
connection considerably.
Good luck.

"Papa" wrote:

> Is it not true that the wireless data rate is much slower than wired? I
> started to download the Windows XP Service Pack 2 with my wireless card, and
> it looked like it was going to take forever. So I plugged in a Category 5
> cable from my laptop to my router, and the data rate seemed to be at least
> 10 times faster.

Mike

Splendid

depends on the quality of the link
if it is strong you should get a very high level.
i found it faster than cat5
just make sure you have the settings correct in windows

mike
"Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
> Is it not true that the wireless data rate is much slower than wired? I
> started to download the Windows XP Service Pack 2 with my wireless card,
and
> it looked like it was going to take forever. So I plugged in a Category 5
> cable from my laptop to my router, and the data rate seemed to be at least
> 10 times faster.

---