DV to DVD?: Need Software/Hardware Advice

Hi all,

I have an older Cannon DV Camera with a 'Pinnacle' firewire card.
However, in the last 3 years I lost my pinnacle software but still
have the firewire card. My computer is an older Athlon 1600xp with
1gig DDR RAM.

Anyway, my wife would like me to transfer our old DV tapes to DVD
format and I'm not sure how to proceed.

www.newegg.com gives me a great selection of DVD burners. However, I
have no idea which burners will produce disks which are readable by my
Sony DVD player. Ideally, the burner would produce disks which work
with all major brands...

Also, beyond the hardware I need a "user-friendly" software path from
the DV tape to the DVD burner. Some of the hardware comes with well
reviewed software while other (usually less expensive) drives come
with much maligned software. I usually feel burned by 'in-the box'
software and have found freeware solutions to be generally more
useful(TMPGEnc for example). If there is a solid freeware alternative,
I'd rather get a solid $70 burner and use freeware. If not, I'll fork
over the dough. (I would like to be able to create a nice menu for the
burned DVDs...)

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,
ent

entropy123 wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have an older Cannon DV Camera with a 'Pinnacle' firewire card.
> However, in the last 3 years I lost my pinnacle software but still
> have the firewire card. My computer is an older Athlon 1600xp with
> 1gig DDR RAM.
>
> Anyway, my wife would like me to transfer our old DV tapes to DVD
> format and I'm not sure how to proceed.
>
> www.newegg.com gives me a great selection of DVD burners. However, I
> have no idea which burners will produce disks which are readable by my
> Sony DVD player. Ideally, the burner would produce disks which work
> with all major brands...
>
> Also, beyond the hardware I need a "user-friendly" software path from
> the DV tape to the DVD burner. Some of the hardware comes with well
> reviewed software while other (usually less expensive) drives come
> with much maligned software. I usually feel burned by 'in-the box'
> software and have found freeware solutions to be generally more
> useful(TMPGEnc for example). If there is a solid freeware alternative,
> I'd rather get a solid $70 burner and use freeware. If not, I'll fork
> over the dough. (I would like to be able to create a nice menu for the
> burned DVDs...)
>
> Any advice much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> ent

You can get a Pioneer 8X in the box with software for about $139 before
rebate (Fry's or www.outpost.com).

I have a Pioneer 4X which came with Ulead DVD Movie Factory which does
everything I need for home movies. It also came with Ulead Video Studio
for capturing and editing the movies from the camcorder. The DVDs play
back fine on a set top player.

Keith

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Keith Clark <clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote:

>entropy123 wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have an older Cannon DV Camera with a 'Pinnacle' firewire card.
>> However, in the last 3 years I lost my pinnacle software but still
>> have the firewire card. My computer is an older Athlon 1600xp with
>> 1gig DDR RAM.
>>
>> Anyway, my wife would like me to transfer our old DV tapes to DVD
>> format and I'm not sure how to proceed.
>>
>> www.newegg.com gives me a great selection of DVD burners. However, I
>> have no idea which burners will produce disks which are readable by my
>> Sony DVD player. Ideally, the burner would produce disks which work
>> with all major brands...
>>
>> Also, beyond the hardware I need a "user-friendly" software path from
>> the DV tape to the DVD burner. Some of the hardware comes with well
>> reviewed software while other (usually less expensive) drives come
>> with much maligned software. I usually feel burned by 'in-the box'
>> software and have found freeware solutions to be generally more
>> useful(TMPGEnc for example). If there is a solid freeware alternative,
>> I'd rather get a solid $70 burner and use freeware. If not, I'll fork
>> over the dough. (I would like to be able to create a nice menu for the
>> burned DVDs...)
>>
>> Any advice much appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> ent
>
>You can get a Pioneer 8X in the box with software for about $139 before
>rebate (Fry's or www.outpost.com).
>
>I have a Pioneer 4X which came with Ulead DVD Movie Factory which does
>everything I need for home movies. It also came with Ulead Video Studio
>for capturing and editing the movies from the camcorder. The DVDs play
>back fine on a set top player.
>
>Keith

I also agree that Ulead DVD Moviefactory is a good choice for
transferring a DV tape to DVD. There is a Direct DVD option that will
transfer your DV Tape directly to a DVD writer without the need to
temporary store the video on the hard drive.
If you need to add special effects with video filters then Ulead Video
Studio would be a good choice. MovieFactory 3 has some editing
functions and you can add transitions between scenes.

Regards Brian

TRENDING THREADS