MPEG-2 & DIV-X

I know what MPEG-2 does because I have it in my Adobe Premiere 6.5., but how
is DivX comparing and how can I get DivX in my Computer to burn DVD's
--

Public Access TV in San Antonio
Channel 20 Sat. 7:30 pm weekly

    "Leo Reyes" <dusty-roads@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<7dVqc.2064$Tn6.1269@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
    > I know what MPEG-2 does because I have it in my Adobe Premiere 6.5., but how
    > is DivX comparing and how can I get DivX in my Computer to burn DVD's

    As usual, hop over to www.dvdrhelp.com...

    DivX (i.e. mpeg4) is significantly more compressed, without a
    significant quality loss. You'll need a DivX codec, and that's about
    it. The last part of your sentence made no sense. I presume you're
    asking can you use DivX as the encoding for video on a DVD. No.
    Legal DVD formats are mpeg1 and mpeg2. You can of course put DivX AVI
    files on a DVD and play them on your PC, but they're not going to play
    on a consumer DVD player (give or take one or two far east players
    that support mpeg4)

    On Thu, 20 May 2004 03:02:27 GMT, "Leo Reyes"
    <dusty-roads@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >I know what MPEG-2 does because I have it in my Adobe Premiere 6.5., but how
    >is DivX comparing and how can I get DivX in my Computer to burn DVD's

    DivX can give you very good quality, probably more than requested by
    most -but in fact, not as good as mpeg. Its main merit is keeping
    quality at low bitrates, where mpeg would start to fail. You can get
    DivX from http://www.divx.com.

    DVDs, as such, can only be mpeg (-1/-2). But there are DVD players
    that can also play DivX .avi files, so you can burn them on a CD/DVD
    disc as data, and play them.

    Bariloche wrote:

    > On Thu, 20 May 2004 03:02:27 GMT, "Leo Reyes"
    > <dusty-roads@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >
    > >I know what MPEG-2 does because I have it in my Adobe Premiere 6.5., but how
    > >is DivX comparing and how can I get DivX in my Computer to burn DVD's
    >
    > DivX can give you very good quality, probably more than requested by
    > most -but in fact, not as good as mpeg. Its main merit is keeping
    > quality at low bitrates, where mpeg would start to fail. You can get
    > DivX from http://www.divx.com.
    >
    > DVDs, as such, can only be mpeg (-1/-2). But there are DVD players
    > that can also play DivX .avi files, so you can burn them on a CD/DVD
    > disc as data, and play them.

    Better yet, go with Xvid instead. It's mpeg-4, as Divx is, will be compatible
    with any set-top box capable of playing DivX, and *unlike* the files on
    www.divx.com, has no spyware.

    http://www.xvid.org/downloads.html (source code)

    http://www.divx-digest.com/software/xvid.html (binary installer for Windows)

    You might find that you get even better results with Xvid than DivX with lower
    CPU use (your mileage may vary).

    On 20 May 2004 04:42:11 -0700, pstankley@hotmail.com (stankley) wrote:

    >You can of course put DivX AVI
    >files on a DVD and play them on your PC, but they're not going to play
    >on a consumer DVD player (give or take one or two far east players
    >that support mpeg4)

    I don't know which is the situation in the USA for Dvd/DivX desktop
    players, but in Europe they are quickly becoming commonplace, and not
    necessarily from far east -there's a Philpis, for instance.

    Bariloche <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in message news:<7tkra0pplm2o1qmimfla53pl0ea2outok2@4ax.com>...
    > On 20 May 2004 04:42:11 -0700, pstankley@hotmail.com (stankley) wrote:
    >
    > >You can of course put DivX AVI
    > >files on a DVD and play them on your PC, but they're not going to play
    > >on a consumer DVD player (give or take one or two far east players
    > >that support mpeg4)
    >
    > I don't know which is the situation in the USA for Dvd/DivX desktop
    > players, but in Europe they are quickly becoming commonplace, and not
    > necessarily from far east -there's a Philpis, for instance.

    According to the ever-useful DVDRHelp site, there are 24 players
    listed for US:

    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=&Submit=Search&divx=1&Search=Search&country=US&orderby=Name

    This list includes Xbox and Playstation2 - maybe that's an option for
    the original poster?

    >>>You can of course put DivX AVI
    >>>files on a DVD and play them on your PC, but they're not going to play
    >>>on a consumer DVD player (give or take one or two far east players
    >>>that support mpeg4)
    > According to the ever-useful DVDRHelp site, there are 24 players
    > listed for US:
    >
    > http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=&Submit=Search&divx=1&Search=Search&country=US&orderby=Name

    Philips DVP642 $69 at any Walmart store today.

    Highly recommended, very cheap (probably the cheapest DIVX/DVD player
    available), works great across a range of DIVX/etc. files, and has no
    significant drawbacks.

    www.fatwallet.com/forums/ -> Hot Deals for the thread on this machine
    for cheaper prices.

    This player, IMO, is a better buy than the prior cheap & good DIVX
    players available in the USA, the LiteOn series LVD-2001/2002. (Their
    latest LVD-2010 however can be a good alternative since it can stream
    over a network as well.)

Tuner Cards MPEG DivX Graphics