HL2 - Offline mode

Hi,

Steam won't run on my comp if my internet conn is malfunctioning. As
it does this quite often, it's become quite a nuisance. I read some
cerap on Steam's pages about disabling your internet conn before
running Steam. Alledgedly, this would make Steam "fallback" to offline
mode and run. Not so on my comp. Any tips?
Always cross a vampire, never moon a werewolf

To reach me, swap spammers get bent with softhome
More about offline mode

    "Greger Hoel" <gregerh@spammersgetbent.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Steam won't run on my comp if my internet conn is malfunctioning. As
    > it does this quite often, it's become quite a nuisance. I read some
    > cerap on Steam's pages about disabling your internet conn before
    > running Steam. Alledgedly, this would make Steam "fallback" to offline
    > mode and run. Not so on my comp. Any tips?

    Well, I found on my system that it does need an internet connection (per the
    instructions on the box) at least once to setup and register your steam
    account. You can check the "remember password" information box, and it will
    play the game offline. You will not need an internet connection to play the
    game. However, one day (about a month later) the game would not play
    without connecting to the internet and updating. It just has to "phone
    home" every now and then. This repeats to this day. And it seems every
    computer system is a little different, so your results may vary.

    Bert Byfield wrote:

    > I can never play the game without an online connection. From what I have
    > read, Steam/Sierra insists on this arrangement.

    Which part of "offline mode" is it you do not understand
    Don't forward facts which is so obvious false!

    True Steam and HL2 has to be fully updated and ready for offline play
    But if in this state you can easily start Steam in offline mode

    Vivendi Universal/Sierra is no longer distributor of Valve games!

    - Peter

    Shawk wrote:

    > C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe -applaunch 220

    Shouldn't that be the validate command?
    steam://validate/320

    rgds/Peter

    Greger Hoel wrote:
    > On 5 Jul 2005 12:28:01 -0700, "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Try deleting the clientregistry.blob file (or rename it)
    >
    > Doesn't work. When I disable my conn ...

    After you have deleted the file let Steam do it's updating
    You might leave it on all night

    Check with the monitor and see if you have any traffic

    Start "play games" select Half-life 2, rightclick and select properties
    and check status
    Status has to be "ready to play", amount acqired "100%" and Offline
    Mode has to be "Ready"

    Check these settings and write what you have
    Disk usage is about 900Mb atm

    - Peter

    Greger Hoel wrote:

    > This just about wraps it up for you, "Cannon Fodder." Since you don't
    > have a problem with offline mode, the turd-soup between your ears
    > can't even fathom that the problem may exist for others without it
    > being thru some fault of their own. You're clinically a moron, no
    > doubt.

    HL2 and Steam is not perfect
    The difference from most other games is that you can make it better
    with a little work from your side
    Try running the validate command
    steam://validate/320

    Steam has a lot of options you have to learn a little along the road

    - Peter

    wrote:

    >Try deleting the clientregistry.blob file (or rename it)

    Doesn't work. When I disable my conn, first Steam says it can't
    connect, and I get the option to retry or play on offline mode. I
    choose offline mode, then when HL2 is s'posed to launch, I get "This
    operation cannot be completed when Steam is in offline mode."

    >What kind of internet connection do you have?

    2200/640 ADSL
    Always cross a vampire, never moon a werewolf

    To reach me, swap spammers get bent with softhome

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 19:20:22 GMT, Bert Byfield
    <BertByfield@nospam.not> wrote:

    >I can never play the game without an online connection. From what I have
    >read, Steam/Sierra insists on this arrangement. No exceptions. The answer
    >is to look for "internet access required" on the box and don't buy such
    >games.

    Well, if they don't fix this, I've bought my last Valve game, that's
    for damn sure
    Always cross a vampire, never moon a werewolf

    To reach me, swap spammers get bent with softhome

    Nothing needs to be fixed except for you... It works fine off line for
    me and most other folks.... You have a problem not Valve....

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 22:30:12 +0200, Griper Homely

    --

    "The Buffalo Theory"

    A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest
    buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest
    and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This
    natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because
    the general speed and health of the whole group keeps
    improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.
    In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as
    fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of
    alcohol, as we know, kill brain cells. But naturally,
    it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.
    In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the
    weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more
    efficient machine! That's why you always feel smarter
    after a few beers.

    > On 5 Jul 2005 12:28:01 -0700, "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Try deleting the clientregistry.blob file (or rename it)
    >
    > Doesn't work. When I disable my conn, first Steam says it can't
    > connect, and I get the option to retry or play on offline mode. I
    > choose offline mode, then when HL2 is s'posed to launch, I get "This
    > operation cannot be completed when Steam is in offline mode."
    >
    >>What kind of internet connection do you have?
    >
    > 2200/640 ADSL

    Something in your setup is corrupted. Run...

    C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe -applaunch 220

    and this will check your files and if there is anything wrong will correct
    it automatically. After that you can play offline as long as you like.
    No-one 'has' to go online ever again if they have a working HL2. Those that
    say they do just need to fix their installation.

    "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Shawk wrote:
    >>
    >> C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe -applaunch 220
    >>
    > Shouldn't that be the validate command?
    > steam://validate/320
    >
    > rgds/Peter

    Quite possibly - couldnt remember it so googled. That's what I came up with
    though.

    This will *definitely* work

    http://tinyurl.com/7uy33

    (It's genuine BTW)

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 21:05:40 GMT, Cannon Fodder
    <gonfishn39@mindspring.com> wrote:

    >Nothing needs to be fixed except for you... It works fine off line for
    >me and most other folks.... You have a problem not Valve....

    This just about wraps it up for you, "Cannon Fodder." Since you don't
    have a problem with offline mode, the turd-soup between your ears
    can't even fathom that the problem may exist for others without it
    being thru some fault of their own. You're clinically a moron, no
    doubt.
    Always cross a vampire, never moon a werewolf

    To reach me, swap spammers get bent with softhome

    Well, I guess you told me.... Turns, climbs into his brown jump suit
    and wanders off muttering unintelligible things about being a "Delta
    Semi-Moron"...

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 23:46:28 +0200, Griper Homely

    --

    On 5 Jul 2005 15:15:27 -0700, "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Shouldn't that be the validate command?
    >steam://validate/320

    This one worked! Thanks for the help, folks!

    This validate command seems like something Punkbuster could've put to
    good use too...

    > On 5 Jul 2005 15:15:27 -0700, "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Shouldn't that be the validate command?
    >>steam://validate/320
    >
    > This one worked! Thanks for the help, folks!
    >
    > This validate command seems like something Punkbuster could've put to
    > good use too...

    Nice one Peter. Glad you got it sorted Greger - does offline mode work now?
    Was CF right?

    Of course, morons are always right... It's too complicated to be
    left....

    --

    "Cannon Fodder" <gonfishn39@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > Of course, morons are always right... It's too complicated to be
    > left....

    S'true.

    Gotta ask - the buffalo and the cat n toast generator theories - where did
    ya dig them up? That kind of humour is right up my street.

    I developed, tested and perfected them... They work.....

    Actually I don't remember, the Buffalo Theory is working in reverse on
    me.... :)

    On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 01:31:44 +0100, "Sharks"
    <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

    >"Cannon Fodder" <gonfishn39@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >> Of course, morons are always right... It's too complicated to be
    >> left....
    >>

    >S'true.
    >
    >Gotta ask - the buffalo and the cat n toast generator theories - where did
    >ya dig them up? That kind of humour is right up my street.

    --

    "The Buffalo Theory"

    A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest
    buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest
    and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This
    natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because
    the general speed and health of the whole group keeps
    improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.
    In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as
    fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of
    alcohol, as we know, kill brain cells. But naturally,
    it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.
    In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the
    weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more
    efficient machine! That's why you always feel smarter
    after a few beers.

    On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 00:53:35 +0100, "Shawk"
    <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

    >Glad you got it sorted Greger - does offline mode work now?

    Thanks! - and yeah, now it works like a charm

    >Was CF right?

    I didn't get around to try it. I tried the validate comm first and it
    worked, so...

    Always cross a vampire, never moon a werewolf

    To reach me, swap spammers get bent with softhome

    On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 01:31:44 +0100, "Shawk"
    <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

    >S'true.

    With "CF," did you mean "Cannon Fodder"? OK, you tell me: Do *I* need
    to be "fixed" cuz something in my install's gotten corrupted along the
    way? If offline mode doesn't work on my comp, is it my problem, "not
    Valve's"? Please explain your answers.

    Always cross a vampire, never moon a werewolf

    To reach me, swap spammers get bent with softhome

    Because you screwed up your install is certainly not a reason to blame
    Valve for an excellent upgrading and patching system.... You,
    obviously, wasn't around with HL when the group was deluged with "What
    patch do I need now" questions.... I KNOW they have created a great
    system..... Don't forget the bitches about "It's a three hour queue at
    Filepanet to down load it....

    On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 03:30:58 +0200, Grayer HO

    > On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 01:31:44 +0100, "Shawk"
    > <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
    >
    >>S'true.
    >
    > With "CF," did you mean "Cannon Fodder"? OK, you tell me: Do *I* need
    > to be "fixed" cuz something in my install's gotten corrupted along the
    > way? If offline mode doesn't work on my comp, is it my problem, "not
    > Valve's"? Please explain your answers.

    Greger,

    I hope you become a regular in here. If you do you will find a lot of
    people coming along and slating Valve and HL2 and claiming that their
    installation doesnt work or 'must' connect every time they play or every
    month. Talking BS before exploring the truth.

    It normally turns out to be a problem with their installation or PC. It is
    annoying. Hopefully you are now one of the people for whom offline mode
    works fine as CF (Cannon Fodder) says. Yeah, he could have couched it in
    better terms but the problem 'was' with you (your installation) wasn't it,
    it was your problem and not something that Valve did.

    Like I said - glad you got it sorted. Have a good one. Shawk.

    On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 10:32:12 +0100, "Shawk"
    <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

    >I hope you become a regular in here.

    I appreciate the sentiment, but I don't think so. Something very
    similar happened when I inquired about HL1 some time ago. Now that I
    think about it, I think it was the same retard who started mouthing
    off then too. But I digress... I can't stand that 'no criticism of my
    game allowed' zealotry that seems permeate this group (as well as many
    others, sure).

    >If you do you will find a lot of
    >people coming along and slating Valve and HL2 and claiming that their
    >installation doesnt work or 'must' connect every time they play or every
    >month. Talking BS before exploring the truth.

    Huh? If it ain't working, it ain't working. That's not BS. Sure you
    can research the problem yourself and give your PC a full checkup
    before you ask others what the problem might be, but that's not a very
    effective way to solve problems, is it? In this case, the validate
    command isn't even mentioned on Steam's FAQ. In this case, there is no
    way in hell anybody no emplyed by Valve could have fixed whatever was
    wrong, barring a full reinstall.

    >It normally turns out to be a problem with their installation or PC. It is
    >annoying. Hopefully you are now one of the people for whom offline mode
    >works fine as CF (Cannon Fodder) says. Yeah, he could have couched it in
    >better terms but the problem 'was' with you (your installation) wasn't it,
    >it was your problem and not something that Valve did.

    Was it? Did you read my response? How the bloody hell can he (and now
    you, it seems) *know* that the fault is on my end in this case? Have
    you never heard of bugs that only appear under special conditions? To
    a retard like Cannon Fodder, it's enough that offline mode works on
    his and most of his playmates comps for him to *know* that if it
    doesn't work on anybody else's comp, it *must* be their own bloody
    fault. Don't you see how mindnumbingly stupid that is?

    > On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 10:32:12 +0100, "Shawk"
    > <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
    >
    >>I hope you become a regular in here.
    >
    > I appreciate the sentiment, but I don't think so. Something very
    > similar happened when I inquired about HL1 some time ago.

    Sorry to hear that

    >>If you do you will find a lot of
    >>people coming along and slating Valve and HL2 and claiming that their
    >>installation doesnt work or 'must' connect every time they play or every
    >>month. Talking BS before exploring the truth.
    >
    > Huh? If it ain't working, it ain't working. That's not BS.

    Sorry - not what I was referring to. The BS I meant was from DaNewsreader
    who unhelpfully gave you duff advice. When released HL2 did want to phone
    home regularly but valve issued a patch to correct that shortly after. It
    shouldn't do it now provided you are patched to date (and you will be after
    verifying your files).

    In this case, the validate
    > command isn't even mentioned on Steam's FAQ. In this case, there is no
    > way in hell anybody no emplyed by Valve could have fixed whatever was
    > wrong, barring a full reinstall.

    It's at the second link I gave you but no it isn't obvious on the site and
    your comment is a vindication for groups like this who have folk that can
    help.

    >>It normally turns out to be a problem with their installation or PC. It
    >>is
    >>annoying. Hopefully you are now one of the people for whom offline mode
    >>works fine as CF (Cannon Fodder) says. Yeah, he could have couched it in
    >>better terms but the problem 'was' with you (your installation) wasn't it,
    >>it was your problem and not something that Valve did.
    >
    > Was it? Did you read my response? How the bloody hell can he (and now
    > you, it seems) *know* that the fault is on my end in this case?

    If offline mode works for the majority of people normal troubleshooting says
    look somewhere else first. In this case your installation. By your own
    admission ("this one worked - thanks for your help folks") you had issues
    that were resolved by validating the installation - that means you had a
    corrupt file or two your end. It isn't an insult - it happens.

    You dont really still think the issue wasn't your end do you. CF just wound
    you up.

    On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 15:14:13 +0100, "Shawk"
    <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

    >Simple matter of pepper-spray on the butter

    pml
    but my cats are not pleased.

    dr ratt

    i'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, insanity & violence to anyone but they've always worked for me.

    > Shawk wrote:
    >
    >> When released HL2 did want to phone home regularly but
    >> valve issued a patch to correct that shortly after.
    >> It shouldn't do it now provided you are patched to date
    >> (and you will be after verifying your files).
    >>
    > Hmm I think we have agreed that Steam turns on autoupdate on a frequent
    > basis?
    > They haven't solved that one yet I think
    > I can give it a try and see what happens
    >
    > - Peter

    Despite the patch that claims to cure that? I didnt know that. You think
    it is time based or usage based - if time based I can block through the
    firewall to test but if usage based I'm not currently using Steam often
    enough to test it.

    If true I'll have a few apologies to make.

    Shaun

    That's why I get paid the big bucks to hang around here.... Every
    group needs their resident retard.... :)

    On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 17:33:26 +0100, "Shawk"

    --

    "The Buffalo Theory"

    A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest
    buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest
    and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This
    natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because
    the general speed and health of the whole group keeps
    improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.
    In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as
    fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of
    alcohol, as we know, kill brain cells. But naturally,
    it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.
    In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the
    weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more
    efficient machine! That's why you always feel smarter
    after a few beers.

    "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > Hmm I think we have agreed that Steam turns on autoupdate on a frequent
    > basis?
    > They haven't solved that one yet I think
    > I can give it a try and see what happens

    It has never done that to me, since the early patch that removed that
    requirement. I left it 3 months once, and it still played perfectly fine
    offline. What buggers it up is being connected when you start Steam. If it
    ever has the opportunity to compare its installation with "Head Office", it
    won't run until you have fully updated it again. Auto-update doesn't switch on,
    but it now knows you don't have a full installation, which isn't allowed. I'm
    sure this is the root of most reported problems. If you don't play multiplayer,
    always disconnect before starting Steam and you won't have a problem.

    --
    Paul

    Greger Hoel wrote:

    > Yes, but why does it happen? Since you seem to be adamant that Valve
    > ain't to blame for this corruption, can you tell me what I and/or my
    > comp has done wrongly to cause this, no?

    Haven't you ever experienced downloading a file from th internet to
    find it was corrupt?
    Never heard about package losses on the network?

    Not one single person has come to this group with severe problems with
    HL2 and/or Steam has unresolved problems caused by HL2/Steam after we
    have helped
    In every case it was a local issue

    Believe it or not

    Please give this article some consideration

    - Peter

    Greger Hoel wrote:

    > Oh, so you didn't notice that I was attacked first, did you?

    CF replied on this:
    "Well, if they don't fix this, I've bought my last Valve game, that's
    for damn sure"
    I am quite positive that you are NOT going to deny that you wrote this?

    Well it turned out the problem was already addressed in the latest
    versions of Steam/HL2 didn't it?

    Btw the linked article does not only give suggestion on how to forward
    a question on usenet but also gives advices on how to NOT start a
    flamewar

    Over to you

    "Greger Hoel" <gregerh@spammersgetbent.net> wrote in message

    You're dont seem to be listening. Perhaps you are but you just cant
    understand what is being said.

    It wasn't that your PC isn't fully functional, it wasn't that you bungled
    something along the way. It was a corrupt file in your installation that
    was fixed easily by the method you were advised on and that you tried.
    Corrupt files happen and no-one is blaming you personally nor your precious
    PC for that either.

    Did you troll CPMA too?

    On 7 Jul 2005 23:42:16 -0700, "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Haven't you ever experienced downloading a file from th internet to
    >find it was corrupt?
    >Never heard about package losses on the network?

    Yep. So if I were to design a network app like Steam, I would make it
    check the integrity of the client's files sufficiently to not makle
    offline mode such a hassle for so many users. And I wouldn't configure
    my app to phone home by default, to begin with.

    >Not one single person has come to this group with severe problems with
    >HL2 and/or Steam has unresolved problems caused by HL2/Steam after we
    >have helped

    What does that have to with it? Just because issues can be fixed, does
    it vindicate a buggy product, or mean that it wasn't really buggy to
    begin with?

    >In every case it was a local issue
    >
    >Believe it or not

    That's not the issue here. The issue is if this happened because of a
    bug, or weakness in how Steam handles this stuff. Shawk insists that
    it's not because of a bug. Cannon Fodder prolly doesn't know his head
    from his arse, but was zealously sure that nothing could be wrong on
    Steam/HL2's end, so he attacked me when I had the gall to imply that
    this could indeed be because of a bug or weakness in Steam/HL2.

    My point, ever since that retard attacked me, is that from what we
    already know, we can't know if the network, file system, inept user(s)
    *or* Steam/HL2 is at fault here.

    >Please give this article some consideration
    >http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    Oh, so you didn't notice that I was attacked first, did you?
    Don't worry. though, I'll leave now. This doesn't seem like a good
    hangout for people who're not HL zealots.

    > On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 08:48:15 +0100, "Shawk"
    > <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
    >

    > Wow. Really. Here I was, thinking that there still might be a tiny
    > chance that we're just misunderstanding each other, but here you come
    > and put the final proof on the table. You're a moron too. Well, thanks
    > for clarifying.

    No problem. Please call again.

Games Steam Internet Video Games