DVD recorders: Worth it? Which one?

I am trying to pull in some extra revenue what with the opening of my new
studio space. (I have another recent thread about that.) I have some
potential VHS to DVD encoding business. The thing is, I don't want to tie up
my main computer with too much capturing, transcoding, etc, when I could
capture and transcode in real time on a standalone dvd recorder while
building a menu then put it all together on the dvd-recorders hard drive,
and spit out a new dvd that way.

What is the best dvd-recorder to get for this purpose? Will I get excellet
quality? Is there anything that supports both + and - formats? Is there
anything that supports dual layer discs? Am I after the right solution?

Your advice please,

Videoken

P.S. I am aware of dvdrhelp.com

--
Remove all the q's to email me:
qqqqqqqchekken_u_outqqqqqqq@yahoo.comqqqqqqq

"videoken" <qqqqqqqchekken_u_outqqqqqqq@yahoo.comqqqqqqq> wrote in message
> I am trying to pull in some extra revenue what with the opening of my new
> studio space. (I have another recent thread about that.) I have some
> potential VHS to DVD encoding business. The thing is, I don't want to tie
up
> my main computer with too much capturing, transcoding, etc, when I could
> capture and transcode in real time on a standalone dvd recorder while
> building a menu then put it all together on the dvd-recorders hard drive,
> and spit out a new dvd that way.
>
> What is the best dvd-recorder to get for this purpose? Will I get excellet
> quality? Is there anything that supports both + and - formats? Is there
> anything that supports dual layer discs? Am I after the right solution?

One route: Get a Panasonic set top recorder without the hard drive. They're
still excellent quality encoders and quite inexpensive. DVD-R and DVD-RAM
formats. If I need to re-author to either remove or replace the menu, trim
video etc., I use the DVD-RAM to temporarily store encoded video which I
then rip on my computer, but you will need a DVD-ROM that will read DVD-RAM
(Toshiba M1712 is cheap and rips video files - including DVD-RAM - quickly).

This method give you the best of both worlds IMO. Frees up your computer
from the most tedious part of the process and gives you the flexibility to
author better looking menus - or remove the menu altogether, which is what I
often do if there's only one track recorded on the disc.

jdcarswell wrote:
> "videoken" <qqqqqqqchekken_u_outqqqqqqq@yahoo.comqqqqqqq> wrote in message
>
>>I am trying to pull in some extra revenue what with the opening of my new
>>studio space. (I have another recent thread about that.) I have some
>>potential VHS to DVD encoding business. The thing is, I don't want to tie
>
> up
>
>>my main computer with too much capturing, transcoding, etc, when I could
>>capture and transcode in real time on a standalone dvd recorder while
>>building a menu then put it all together on the dvd-recorders hard drive,
>>and spit out a new dvd that way.
>>
>>What is the best dvd-recorder to get for this purpose? Will I get excellet
>>quality? Is there anything that supports both + and - formats? Is there
>>anything that supports dual layer discs? Am I after the right solution?
>>

> One route: Get a Panasonic set top recorder without the hard drive. They're
> still excellent quality encoders and quite inexpensive. DVD-R and DVD-RAM
> formats. If I need to re-author to either remove or replace the menu, trim
> video etc., I use the DVD-RAM to temporarily store encoded video which I
> then rip on my computer, but you will need a DVD-ROM that will read DVD-RAM
> (Toshiba M1712 is cheap and rips video files - including DVD-RAM - quickly).
>
> This method give you the best of both worlds IMO. Frees up your computer
> from the most tedious part of the process and gives you the flexibility to
> author better looking menus - or remove the menu altogether, which is what I
> often do if there's only one track recorded on the disc.

What software do you use to "re-author to either remove or replace the menu,
trim video etc."?

"Bob Fleischer" <nospam-rjf@tiac.nospam.net> wrote in message
> jdcarswell wrote:
> > "videoken" <qqqqqqqchekken_u_outqqqqqqq@yahoo.comqqqqqqq> wrote in
message

> >>I am trying to pull in some extra revenue what with the opening of my
new
> >>studio space. (I have another recent thread about that.) I have some
> >>potential VHS to DVD encoding business. The thing is, I don't want to
tie

> > up
> >
> >>my main computer with too much capturing, transcoding, etc, when I could
> >>capture and transcode in real time on a standalone dvd recorder while
> >>building a menu then put it all together on the dvd-recorders hard
drive,
> >>and spit out a new dvd that way.
> >>
> >>What is the best dvd-recorder to get for this purpose? Will I get
excellet
> >>quality? Is there anything that supports both + and - formats? Is there
> >>anything that supports dual layer discs? Am I after the right solution?
> >>

> > One route: Get a Panasonic set top recorder without the hard drive.
They're
> > still excellent quality encoders and quite inexpensive. DVD-R and
DVD-RAM
> > formats. If I need to re-author to either remove or replace the menu,
trim
> > video etc., I use the DVD-RAM to temporarily store encoded video which I
> > then rip on my computer, but you will need a DVD-ROM that will read
DVD-RAM
> > (Toshiba M1712 is cheap and rips video files - including DVD-RAM -
quickly).

> > This method give you the best of both worlds IMO. Frees up your computer
> > from the most tedious part of the process and gives you the flexibility
> > author better looking menus - or remove the menu altogether, which is
what I
> > often do if there's only one track recorded on the disc.
> >

> What software do you use to "re-author to either remove or replace the
menu,
> trim video etc."?

To reauthor a DVD with no menu (first play only), I use DVD Author - it's
dead simple and allows trimming of the in and out points of the video as
well if needed. It can also create simple pre-formated menus with motion
background and thumbnails etc. For anything more sophisticated, I use
DVD-Lab.