Analogue to digital

iab

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002

Can anyone tell me what equipment, and recommended PC Spec is needed
to convert a analogue tape to digital.

I may also wish to put the converted tape onto dvd disk, any hints and
tips?

iab wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what equipment, and recommended PC Spec is needed
> to convert a analogue tape to digital.
>
> I may also wish to put the converted tape onto dvd disk, any hints and
> tips?

What your asking is that your probably going to spend an awful lot of
money and time to convert one tape to a DVD.. Just pay someone 20 bucks,
and they can do it for you.

However, if your asking about getting into the business of converting
may tapes to DVD, I'll give you an overview.

First off, pretty much any decent system can do this, so I'm not getting
into specifics or anything. You'll need a bridge. A device (or card)
that accepts incoming composite RCA signals, and will convert it into a
digital format. The group favorite here is the Canopus ADVC-100 (I have
a ADVC-300). It's an external device that plugs into a firwire port on
your PC or Mac. This device does all the work of the conversion.

In addition to a bridge, there's also the fact that a lot of cameras
also act as a bridge. They have a RCA input, and a Firewire output and
essentially just convert the signal over. Past that, there's the NLE
software, but you just wanted to know about hardware.

Good luck,

-Richard

Or there's simple TV cards that directly capture raw video with compressing
it.

Hauppauge WinTV is the group favourite :)

regards
Simon
Well its mine anyway - bit cheaper than a ADVC thingy and they work
really well with old Win98 systems.

regards
Simon

Simon Walters wrote:
> Or there's simple TV cards that directly capture raw video with compressing
> it.
>
> Hauppauge WinTV is the group favourite :)
>
> regards
> Simon
> Well its mine anyway - bit cheaper than a ADVC thingy and they work
> really well with old Win98 systems.
>
> regards
> Simon

Thanks kewl.. But the question was how to covert his VCR tapes to a DVD.
I answered it in general, regardless of the type of capture card used.

-Thanks
-Richard

"Richard Ragon" <bsema04NOSPAM@hanaho.com> wrote in message

> Thanks kewl.. But the question was how to covert his VCR tapes to a DVD.
> I answered it in general, regardless of the type of capture card used.

I was only adding an alternative to your DV offered solutions :)

regards
Simon

"Simon Walters" <trysiwalters@theoppositeofcoolmail.com> wrote in message news:<bHDrc.7344$FV7.164@doctor.cableinet.net>...
> "Richard Ragon" <bsema04NOSPAM@hanaho.com> wrote in message
>
> > Thanks kewl.. But the question was how to covert his VCR tapes to a DVD.
> > I answered it in general, regardless of the type of capture card used.
>
> I was only adding an alternative to your DV offered solutions :)
>
> regards
> Simon

I use the Plextor ConvertX 402U box to make DVD's from VHS tapes or
any analog audio&video signals..Comes with all the software and cords
required and it could not be easier..Goodluck,
jolphil

TRENDING THREADS