Linux PVR Machine

About 1 year ago, I built a windows machine from the ground up as a PVR
device. Its running a mainstream Asus motherboard and an AMD 2.4 gig
processor. I'm using the ATI All in wonder 8500 DV video card which is
tremendous for PVR on windows. However, as typical with ATI Software, I get
lockups and other little problems that cause me to need to reboot. Also the
1 week at a time 20 minute download of ATI's TV programming guide gets old
on the old dial up modem.

I would like to rebuild this machine using Linux, which I've run in various
forms and dual boot configurations on several machines for a couple of years
now. However, I have not seen much in the way of video software for Linux.

Are there some good Linux PVR packages out there yet?

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

On a sunny day (Thu, 20 May 2004 09:29:39 -0500) it happened "Docwatmo"
<killdaspam.dwatson@linncountyrec.com.killdaspam> wrote in
<pj3rc.6$QZ6.13962@news.uswest.net>:Are there some good Linux PVR packages out there yet?

>If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.
>
>Thanks.
I think large parts of Europe are using Linux VDR for digital TV.
There may be others..
JP

Docwatmo wrote:

> Are there some good Linux PVR packages out there yet?
>
> If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

MythTV! It's truly amazing software.
I went the Gentoo route myself and I'm very happy with it. For
something simpler/quicker to set up, maybe check out KnoppMyth.
There's also Jarod Wilson's MythTV guide for setting up a MythTV machine.

As for your ATI card, you'll have to check if that's well supported with
Linux. The PVR-250 and other ivtv-supported cards are the favorites to
use with MythTV, since the quality is great and it uses about 0% CPU for
recording.

-WD

Will Dormann wrote:

> MythTV! It's truly amazing software.

Let me know when it installs as a single RPM, including getting the PVR-250
configured, and records to standard mpeg-2 files.

I messed with it for a long time and gave up.

Keith Clark wrote:

> Will Dormann wrote:
>

>>MythTV! It's truly amazing software.
>

> Let me know when it installs as a single RPM, including getting the PVR-250
> configured, and records to standard mpeg-2 files.

It does record to standard MPEG2 files.
And I think KnoppMyth is pretty close to having everything
auto-configure. I know you can apt-get or emerge MythTV, but who
knows for RPM... I haven't used RPM-based distros for a while.

-WD

Will Dormann wrote:

> Keith Clark wrote:
>

> > Will Dormann wrote:
> >

> >>MythTV! It's truly amazing software.
> >

> > Let me know when it installs as a single RPM, including getting the PVR-250
> > configured, and records to standard mpeg-2 files.
>
> It does record to standard MPEG2 files.
> And I think KnoppMyth is pretty close to having everything
> auto-configure. I know you can apt-get or emerge MythTV, but who
> knows for RPM... I haven't used RPM-based distros for a while.
>
> -WD

OK. I burned a Knopp-Myth CD a couple of months ago and was going to try it but
it refused to install so I trashed it.

Hactar

In article <fr4rc.7$2H2.6@fe2.columbus.rr.com>,
Will Dormann <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
> Docwatmo wrote:
>

> > Are there some good Linux PVR packages out there yet?
> >
> > If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

> As for your ATI card, you'll have to check if that's well supported with
> Linux. The PVR-250 and other ivtv-supported cards are the favorites to
> use with MythTV, since the quality is great and it uses about 0% CPU for
> recording.

I have an AIW 8500DV which I use in a home-built PVR. A few months (or
longer... I forget) ago, I tried to convert it to Linux (from XP), but was
unable at that time to make TV-out work. Maybe things are different now.
AIUI, it was some sort of driver dispute, where Open Sourcers couldn't
reverse-engineer the driver on threat of the DMCA, and ATI wouldn't release
the card's specs.

Isn't ATI Canadian? Surely all that's needed are some enterprising non-US
coders, then?

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? [TOFU := text oben,

Hactar wrote:

> In article <fr4rc.7$2H2.6@fe2.columbus.rr.com>,
> Will Dormann <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
> > Docwatmo wrote:
> >

> > > Are there some good Linux PVR packages out there yet?
> > >
> > > If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.
>
> > As for your ATI card, you'll have to check if that's well supported with
> > Linux. The PVR-250 and other ivtv-supported cards are the favorites to
> > use with MythTV, since the quality is great and it uses about 0% CPU for
> > recording.
>
> I have an AIW 8500DV which I use in a home-built PVR. A few months (or
> longer... I forget) ago, I tried to convert it to Linux (from XP), but was
> unable at that time to make TV-out work. Maybe things are different now.
> AIUI, it was some sort of driver dispute, where Open Sourcers couldn't
> reverse-engineer the driver on threat of the DMCA, and ATI wouldn't release
> the card's specs.

Maybe this is why Nvidia is the card of choice in Linux...

Hactar

In article <40ADE8E2.3B0F5CA3@hotmail.com>,
Keith Clark <clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hactar wrote:
>
> > In article <fr4rc.7$2H2.6@fe2.columbus.rr.com>,
> > Will Dormann <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

> > > As for your ATI card, you'll have to check if that's well supported with
> > > Linux. The PVR-250 and other ivtv-supported cards are the favorites to
> > > use with MythTV, since the quality is great and it uses about 0% CPU for
> > > recording.
> >
> > I have an AIW 8500DV which I use in a home-built PVR. A few months (or
> > longer... I forget) ago, I tried to convert it to Linux (from XP), but was
> > unable at that time to make TV-out work. Maybe things are different now.
> > AIUI, it was some sort of driver dispute, where Open Sourcers couldn't
> > reverse-engineer the driver on threat of the DMCA, and ATI wouldn't release
> > the card's specs.
>
> Maybe this is why Nvidia is the card of choice in Linux...

Yes, if I had to choose again, I'd pick Nvidia over ATI.

--
-eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar
A. A Top Poster

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

On Thu, 20 May 2004 09:29:39 -0500, "Docwatmo"
<killdaspam.dwatson@linncountyrec.com.killdaspam> wrote:
<<snip>>

>Are there some good Linux PVR packages out there yet?

Hi,

I plan on building one as soon as I finish moving.

Here's some sites that may give you some ideas. One person in the database is
using a PII 200 Mhz box. There are several other low end boxes in the database.

Linux PVR Database MythTV and freevo Tuners and cards. Link on left of page.
http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-view_articles.php

Debian and MythTV Starting From a Blank Hard Drive
http://www.geocities.com/dlou99/mythtv.html

Knoppix and setting up
http://mysettopbox.tv/

Freshmeat MythTV page. Has link to homepage and screenshots
http://freshmeat.net/projects/mythtv/?topic_id=125

Hope that helps,
Steve
My real email address is dealsgalore[A-T]earthlink.net

www.cheap-land.com