Player for moviez on DVD?

Hi

Anybody here who can recommend a free DVDPlayer for the PC

I just got an s-video -> scart cable for my laptop
I have messed around a little with some DVD's and WinDVD
Works reasonable but it's a 14 days trial version :(

Btw I have a problem with coloring and black'n'white
On the laptop the video is all nice and dandy but no coloring on the
telly - just BW - could have been nice for some old Hitchcock moviez
but not up to the standards of today
I want to see all the blood and gore, hehe

Any takers?
Ideas?
Help!

Thanks :)

- Peter
17 answers Last reply
More about player moviez

    Peter [AGHL] wrote:

    > Anybody here who can recommend a free DVDPlayer for the PC

    Thanks a million :)
    Currently the kids has overtaken my precious laptop
    I needed to do soemthing about this dreadfull attack against me being
    the boss :)

    - Peter

    "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Anybody here who can recommend a free DVDPlayer for the PC
    >
    > I just got an s-video -> scart cable for my laptop
    > I have messed around a little with some DVD's and WinDVD
    > Works reasonable but it's a 14 days trial version :(
    >
    > Btw I have a problem with coloring and black'n'white
    > On the laptop the video is all nice and dandy but no coloring on the
    > telly - just BW - could have been nice for some old Hitchcock moviez
    > but not up to the standards of today
    > I want to see all the blood and gore, hehe
    >
    > Any takers?
    > Ideas?
    > Help!
    >
    > Thanks :)
    >
    > - Peter

    Is there a free version of Power DVD? I bought mine some time back.

    Peter [AGHL] wrote:

    > Anybody here who can recommend a free DVDPlayer for the PC

    Media player classic. I use it for EVERYTHING. It even plays Real media and
    Quicktime, as well as DVDs.
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Media_Player_Classic.htm
    get the codecs for real and quicktime there too.

    "sittingduck" <spam.no.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
    > Peter [AGHL] wrote:
    >
    >> Anybody here who can recommend a free DVDPlayer for the PC
    >
    > Media player classic. I use it for EVERYTHING. It even plays Real media
    > and
    > Quicktime, as well as DVDs.
    > http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Media_Player_Classic.htm
    > get the codecs for real and quicktime there too.

    Second that one. Use this for everything. Power DVD came with the DVD
    player but MPC in a small window while working on other things is much
    neater.

    "sittingduck" <spam.no.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
    > Peter [AGHL] wrote:
    >
    >> Anybody here who can recommend a free DVDPlayer for the PC
    >
    > Media player classic. I use it for EVERYTHING. It even plays Real media
    > and
    > Quicktime, as well as DVDs.
    > http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Media_Player_Classic.htm
    > get the codecs for real and quicktime there too.

    Used MPC for some time without knowing about Real Alternative. Thanks for
    that.

    Nick wrote:

    > Been so long since it's been on any of my machines I've forgotten why I hate it so much - but I've
    > not forgotten that I DO hate it so much... ;o)

    Those people who forced MS to not include MP as a part of eg XP should
    be forced to install RealPlayer as well as Quicktime

    - Peter

    Nick wrote:

    > I mean, you could have just say they should be shot, or hanged, or something reasonable like that,
    > but no, you had to go just that bit further...

    Nothing is too good for those bastards

    Anyway my respect to those sobs who persuaded EU into this rip off
    Just wish they could made half as good SW titles

    - Peter

    Frode wrote:

    > I see someone already suggested Mediaplayer Classic

    Yep, but MPC does not support playing bonusmaterial on some elder
    Disney DVDs
    Program just "hangs up the phone" and goes dead

    > VLC is another possibility (www.videolan.org)

    I will that one a try later on

    > Nick wrote:
    >>
    >> Been so long since it's been on any of my machines I've forgotten why I hate it so much - but
    >> I've
    >> not forgotten that I DO hate it so much... ;o)
    >
    > Those people who forced MS to not include MP as a part of eg XP should
    > be forced to install RealPlayer as well as Quicktime
    >
    > - Peter

    "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Nick wrote:
    >>
    >> Been so long since it's been on any of my machines I've forgotten why I hate it so much - but
    >> I've
    >> not forgotten that I DO hate it so much... ;o)
    >
    > Those people who forced MS to not include MP as a part of eg XP should
    > be forced to install RealPlayer as well as Quicktime

    Man, you're a real nasty piece of work eh? ;o)

    "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Nick wrote:
    >>
    >> Been so long since it's been on any of my machines I've forgotten why I hate it so much - but
    >> I've
    >> not forgotten that I DO hate it so much... ;o)
    >
    > Those people who forced MS to not include MP as a part of eg XP should
    > be forced to install RealPlayer as well as Quicktime
    >
    > - Peter

    I mean, you could have just say they should be shot, or hanged, or something reasonable like that,
    but no, you had to go just that bit further...

    On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 23:02:38 +0100, "Shawk"
    <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

    >"sittingduck" <spam.no.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
    >> Peter [AGHL] wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anybody here who can recommend a free DVDPlayer for the PC
    >>
    >> Media player classic. I use it for EVERYTHING. It even plays Real media
    >> and
    >> Quicktime, as well as DVDs.
    >> http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Media_Player_Classic.htm
    >> get the codecs for real and quicktime there too.
    >
    >Second that one. Use this for everything. Power DVD came with the DVD
    >player but MPC in a small window while working on other things is much
    >neater.

    does it have a hi-res timer to get >300 fps on a source server?

    dr ratt

    i'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, insanity & violence to anyone but they've always worked for me.

    "dr ratt" <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 23:02:38 +0100, "Shawk"
    > <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
    >

    >>"sittingduck" <spam.no.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message

    >>> Media player classic. I use it for EVERYTHING. It even plays Real media
    >>> and
    >>> Quicktime, as well as DVDs.
    >>> http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Media_Player_Classic.htm
    >>> get the codecs for real and quicktime there too.
    >>
    >>Second that one. Use this for everything. Power DVD came with the DVD
    >>player but MPC in a small window while working on other things is much
    >>neater.
    >>

    > does it have a hi-res timer to get >300 fps on a source server?
    >
    > dr ratt

    O....kay.... I use it for almost everything...

    On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 19:21:49 +0100, "Shawk"
    <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

    >"dr ratt" <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 23:02:38 +0100, "Shawk"
    >> <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"sittingduck" <spam.no.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message

    >>>Second that one. Use this for everything. Power DVD came with the DVD
    >>>player but MPC in a small window while working on other things is much
    >>>neater.
    >>>

    >> does it have a hi-res timer to get >300 fps on a source server?
    >>
    >> dr ratt
    >>

    >O....kay.... I use it for almost everything...

    if you want your source server to be able to calculate over 300fps
    [upto 1000] you can run windows media player or real player in the
    background as these use high resolution timers.
    there's a link on the steam website that details a few tips for
    tweaking a server for source:
    http://cpnclan.home.comcast.net/guide.html

    > On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 19:21:49 +0100, "Shawk"
    > <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
    >

    >>"dr ratt" <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> wrote in message

    >>> does it have a hi-res timer to get >300 fps on a source server?
    >>>
    >>> dr ratt
    >>>

    >>O....kay.... I use it for almost everything...
    >>

    > if you want your source server to be able to calculate over 300fps
    > [upto 1000] you can run windows media player or real player in the
    > background as these use high resolution timers.
    > there's a link on the steam website that details a few tips for
    > tweaking a server for source:
    > http://cpnclan.home.comcast.net/guide.html
    >
    > dr ratt

    Ah.. nice one. I'll read up on it. My thanks.

    "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Anybody here who can recommend a free DVDPlayer for the PC
    >
    > I just got an s-video -> scart cable for my laptop
    > I have messed around a little with some DVD's and WinDVD
    > Works reasonable but it's a 14 days trial version :(
    >
    > Btw I have a problem with coloring and black'n'white
    > On the laptop the video is all nice and dandy but no coloring on the
    > telly - just BW - could have been nice for some old Hitchcock moviez
    > but not up to the standards of today
    > I want to see all the blood and gore, hehe
    >
    > Any takers?
    > Ideas?
    > Help!
    >
    > Thanks :)

    usually you haven't got the pal/ntsc set up right. make sure you have the
    correct tv driver for your country.

DVD Video Video Games