what level of JPG compression?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 1, 2004 6:06:29 AM

I have a Pentax Optio SV 5 megapixel digital camera.
There are various resolution settings from 2560x1920 to 640x480
There are three quality settings.
I *believe* the quality settings determine JPG compression.
But nowhere in the manual or on the web can I find what the compression
level is at each of the settings.
Any advice?
Even if you know of software that will tell you how much an image has been
compressed.
As far as I can tell, Photoshop does not tell me this.
Thanks!

--
Scotter

More about : level jpg compression

Anonymous
December 1, 2004 6:06:30 AM

I believe Photoshop does tell you what the metadata is somewhere.

"Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> I have a Pentax Optio SV 5 megapixel digital camera.
> There are various resolution settings from 2560x1920 to 640x480
> There are three quality settings.
> I *believe* the quality settings determine JPG compression.
> But nowhere in the manual or on the web can I find what the compression
> level is at each of the settings.
> Any advice?
> Even if you know of software that will tell you how much an image has been
> compressed.
> As far as I can tell, Photoshop does not tell me this.
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Scotter

Anonymous
December 1, 2004 4:25:35 PM

"Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>I have a Pentax Optio SV 5 megapixel digital camera.
> There are various resolution settings from 2560x1920 to 640x480
> There are three quality settings.
> I *believe* the quality settings determine JPG compression.
> But nowhere in the manual or on the web can I find what the compression
> level is at each of the settings.
> Any advice?
> Even if you know of software that will tell you how much an image has been
> compressed.
> As far as I can tell, Photoshop does not tell me this.
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Scotter
It depends -on what you will accept. You can do some experiments with your
camera, looking at the results on a computer screen so you don't have the
expense of prints. Take photos of a variety of scenes, each at several
compression levels. See what level of compression starts to give a photo
you don't like.

Unless you are concerned about running out of space on your memory card(s),
you might as well use the least compression.
December 3, 2004 8:40:31 AM

Marvin Margoshes wrote:
> "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>> I have a Pentax Optio SV 5 megapixel digital camera.
>> There are various resolution settings from 2560x1920 to 640x480
>> There are three quality settings.
>> I *believe* the quality settings determine JPG compression.
>> But nowhere in the manual or on the web can I find what the
>> compression level is at each of the settings.
>> Any advice?
>> Even if you know of software that will tell you how much an image
>> has been compressed.
>> As far as I can tell, Photoshop does not tell me this.
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Scotter
> It depends -on what you will accept. You can do some experiments
> with your camera, looking at the results on a computer screen so you
> don't have the expense of prints. Take photos of a variety of
> scenes, each at several compression levels. See what level of
> compression starts to give a photo you don't like.
>
> Unless you are concerned about running out of space on your memory
> card(s), you might as well use the least compression.

I agree with Marvin's sage advice, and would addd that in general it's
better to go to a lower quality setting than to a lower resolution:

http://geigy.2y.net/Tutorials/ResampleOrCompress/Defaul...
--

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com

Scott,

Just shoot and archive photos at the highest resolution and size possible
using either .jpg, TIF, or RAW. Furthermore, copy the original photo that
is archived before doing any editing. That way one can always go back to
the original and start again if a photo doesn't look very good after editing
and printing it.

All my prints, even small 4" x 6" prints, are printed from a photo of the
highest resolution, and largest file possible. That way the printer software
has more data for making the print as good as possible.

At times, when cropping a small part out of the large photo, one must print
a much smaller print of the cropped photo to produce a good print.

Robert

!