what level of JPG compression?

I have a Pentax Optio SV 5 megapixel digital camera.
There are various resolution settings from 2560x1920 to 640x480
There are three quality settings.
I *believe* the quality settings determine JPG compression.
But nowhere in the manual or on the web can I find what the compression
level is at each of the settings.
Any advice?
Even if you know of software that will tell you how much an image has been
compressed.
As far as I can tell, Photoshop does not tell me this.
Thanks!

--
Scotter
4 answers Last reply

    I believe Photoshop does tell you what the metadata is somewhere.

    "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    > I have a Pentax Optio SV 5 megapixel digital camera.
    > There are various resolution settings from 2560x1920 to 640x480
    > There are three quality settings.
    > I *believe* the quality settings determine JPG compression.
    > But nowhere in the manual or on the web can I find what the compression
    > level is at each of the settings.
    > Any advice?
    > Even if you know of software that will tell you how much an image has been
    > compressed.
    > As far as I can tell, Photoshop does not tell me this.
    > Thanks!
    >
    > --
    > Scotter

    "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Pentax Optio SV 5 megapixel digital camera.
    > There are various resolution settings from 2560x1920 to 640x480
    > There are three quality settings.
    > I *believe* the quality settings determine JPG compression.
    > But nowhere in the manual or on the web can I find what the compression
    > level is at each of the settings.
    > Any advice?
    > Even if you know of software that will tell you how much an image has been
    > compressed.
    > As far as I can tell, Photoshop does not tell me this.
    > Thanks!
    >
    > --
    > Scotter
    It depends -on what you will accept. You can do some experiments with your
    camera, looking at the results on a computer screen so you don't have the
    expense of prints. Take photos of a variety of scenes, each at several
    compression levels. See what level of compression starts to give a photo
    you don't like.

    Unless you are concerned about running out of space on your memory card(s),
    you might as well use the least compression.

    Marvin Margoshes wrote:
    > "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    >> I have a Pentax Optio SV 5 megapixel digital camera.
    >> There are various resolution settings from 2560x1920 to 640x480
    >> There are three quality settings.
    >> I *believe* the quality settings determine JPG compression.
    >> But nowhere in the manual or on the web can I find what the
    >> compression level is at each of the settings.
    >> Any advice?
    >> Even if you know of software that will tell you how much an image
    >> has been compressed.
    >> As far as I can tell, Photoshop does not tell me this.
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Scotter
    > It depends -on what you will accept. You can do some experiments
    > with your camera, looking at the results on a computer screen so you
    > don't have the expense of prints. Take photos of a variety of
    > scenes, each at several compression levels. See what level of
    > compression starts to give a photo you don't like.
    >
    > Unless you are concerned about running out of space on your memory
    > card(s), you might as well use the least compression.

    I agree with Marvin's sage advice, and would addd that in general it's
    better to go to a lower quality setting than to a lower resolution:

    http://geigy.2y.net/Tutorials/ResampleOrCompress/Default.htm
    --

    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com

    Scott,

    Just shoot and archive photos at the highest resolution and size possible
    using either .jpg, TIF, or RAW. Furthermore, copy the original photo that
    is archived before doing any editing. That way one can always go back to
    the original and start again if a photo doesn't look very good after editing
    and printing it.

    All my prints, even small 4" x 6" prints, are printed from a photo of the
    highest resolution, and largest file possible. That way the printer software
    has more data for making the print as good as possible.

    At times, when cropping a small part out of the large photo, one must print
    a much smaller print of the cropped photo to produce a good print.

    Robert

    "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Pentax Optio SV 5 megapixel digital camera.
    > There are various resolution settings from 2560x1920 to 640x480
    > There are three quality settings.
    > I *believe* the quality settings determine JPG compression.
    > But nowhere in the manual or on the web can I find what the compression
    > level is at each of the settings.
    > Any advice?
    > Even if you know of software that will tell you how much an image has been
    > compressed.
    > As far as I can tell, Photoshop does not tell me this.
    > Thanks!
    >
    > --
    > Scotter

Cameras Compression Peripherals