Problems importing video from my mini DV camera

April 13, 2005 12:31:05 PM

I'm hoping you can help me solve my video importing problem. I am using a
JVC GR-D72U camcorder and I have windows xp proffesional running with all of
the avaialble updates including service pack 2. I am using windows movie
maker versioin 2.1.4026.0 and I have an adaptec fire wire card installed.

Here is what I can do. I can use my camcorder as a web cam, I can control
the camcorder with movie maker, I can capture in realtime in movie maker and
I can capture from my camcorder via usb in image mixer 1.7 (video software
that came with camcorder)

Unfortunatly I cannot capture video from my camcorder into movie maker via
fire wire and I can't get a preview when I am attempting to capture. (I get
a black screen) After I attempt to capture I receive a message saying:

"The specified video devide is not responding. Verify that the devide is
connected properly and turned on, and then try capturing again"

I have transfered that card and camera with the same fire wire cable to
another computer and I have been able to successfully download with out a
problem. (I'm confident the equipment is not my problem) I also receive the
following message after the attempt:

"C:\Documents and Settings\me\My Documents\My Videos\Untitled_0005.avi could
not be imported. The selected file is not valid or is corrupted."

Any suggestions? I have tried everything I can think of and everything else
is working perfectly.

--
Anthony
Anonymous

Was the other pc also running WMM 2.1?

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Anthony" <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm hoping you can help me solve my video importing problem. I am using a
> JVC GR-D72U camcorder and I have windows xp proffesional running with all
of
> the avaialble updates including service pack 2. I am using windows movie
> maker versioin 2.1.4026.0 and I have an adaptec fire wire card installed.
>
> Here is what I can do. I can use my camcorder as a web cam, I can control
> the camcorder with movie maker, I can capture in realtime in movie maker
and
> I can capture from my camcorder via usb in image mixer 1.7 (video software
> that came with camcorder)
>
> Unfortunatly I cannot capture video from my camcorder into movie maker via
> fire wire and I can't get a preview when I am attempting to capture. (I
get
> a black screen) After I attempt to capture I receive a message saying:
>
> "The specified video devide is not responding. Verify that the devide is
> connected properly and turned on, and then try capturing again"
>
> I have transfered that card and camera with the same fire wire cable to
> another computer and I have been able to successfully download with out a
> problem. (I'm confident the equipment is not my problem) I also receive
the
> following message after the attempt:
>
> "C:\Documents and Settings\me\My Documents\My Videos\Untitled_0005.avi
could
> not be imported. The selected file is not valid or is corrupted."
>
> Any suggestions? I have tried everything I can think of and everything
else
> is working perfectly.
>
> --
> Anthony
April 13, 2005 10:25:35 PM

Yes. The other pc was running the same version of windows movie maker. The
only difference is the operating system there was XP Home Edition instead of
XP Professional

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> Was the other pc also running WMM 2.1?
>

> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> Laird of Glencairn
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "Anthony" <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm hoping you can help me solve my video importing problem. I am using a
> > JVC GR-D72U camcorder and I have windows xp proffesional running with all
> of
> > the avaialble updates including service pack 2. I am using windows movie
> > maker versioin 2.1.4026.0 and I have an adaptec fire wire card installed.
> >
> > Here is what I can do. I can use my camcorder as a web cam, I can control
> > the camcorder with movie maker, I can capture in realtime in movie maker
> and
> > I can capture from my camcorder via usb in image mixer 1.7 (video software
> > that came with camcorder)
> >
> > Unfortunatly I cannot capture video from my camcorder into movie maker via
> > fire wire and I can't get a preview when I am attempting to capture. (I
> get
> > a black screen) After I attempt to capture I receive a message saying:
> >
> > "The specified video devide is not responding. Verify that the devide is
> > connected properly and turned on, and then try capturing again"
> >
> > I have transfered that card and camera with the same fire wire cable to
> > another computer and I have been able to successfully download with out a
> > problem. (I'm confident the equipment is not my problem) I also receive
> the
> > following message after the attempt:
> >
> > "C:\Documents and Settings\me\My Documents\My Videos\Untitled_0005.avi
> could
> > not be imported. The selected file is not valid or is corrupted."
> >
> > Any suggestions? I have tried everything I can think of and everything
> else
> > is working perfectly.
> >
> > --
> > Anthony

Related resources
April 14, 2005 11:30:08 AM

I managed to solve my problem. I replaced the Adaptec firewire card with a
Belkin Firewire card and everything work now. What is interesting is that
the Adaptec card still works. Just not on this computer.

"Anthony" wrote:

> Yes. The other pc was running the same version of windows movie maker. The
> only difference is the operating system there was XP Home Edition instead of
> XP Professional
>
> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
> > Was the other pc also running WMM 2.1?
> >

> > --
> > Graham Hughes
> > MVP Digital Media
> > Laird of Glencairn
> > www.dvds2treasure.com
> > www.simplydv.com
> >

> > "Anthony" <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm hoping you can help me solve my video importing problem. I am using a
> > > JVC GR-D72U camcorder and I have windows xp proffesional running with all
> > of
> > > the avaialble updates including service pack 2. I am using windows movie
> > > maker versioin 2.1.4026.0 and I have an adaptec fire wire card installed.
> > >
> > > Here is what I can do. I can use my camcorder as a web cam, I can control
> > > the camcorder with movie maker, I can capture in realtime in movie maker
> > and
> > > I can capture from my camcorder via usb in image mixer 1.7 (video software
> > > that came with camcorder)
> > >
> > > Unfortunatly I cannot capture video from my camcorder into movie maker via
> > > fire wire and I can't get a preview when I am attempting to capture. (I
> > get
> > > a black screen) After I attempt to capture I receive a message saying:
> > >
> > > "The specified video devide is not responding. Verify that the devide is
> > > connected properly and turned on, and then try capturing again"
> > >
> > > I have transfered that card and camera with the same fire wire cable to
> > > another computer and I have been able to successfully download with out a
> > > problem. (I'm confident the equipment is not my problem) I also receive
> > the
> > > following message after the attempt:
> > >
> > > "C:\Documents and Settings\me\My Documents\My Videos\Untitled_0005.avi
> > could
> > > not be imported. The selected file is not valid or is corrupted."
> > >
> > > Any suggestions? I have tried everything I can think of and everything
> > else
> > > is working perfectly.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Anthony

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 8:58:38 PM

Glad it's working, this is one of the problems using pc's the
hardware/software mixes are limitless and tracking down why somethings not
working on one machine and not another is best left and a drink taken
instead :)

--

news:D DDC9F1C-D434-491A-AFC2-0433313F6D24@microsoft.com...
> I managed to solve my problem. I replaced the Adaptec firewire card with
> Belkin Firewire card and everything work now. What is interesting is that
> the Adaptec card still works. Just not on this computer.
>
> "Anthony" wrote:
>
> > Yes. The other pc was running the same version of windows movie maker.
The
> > only difference is the operating system there was XP Home Edition
instead of
> > XP Professional
> >
> > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
> >
> > > Was the other pc also running WMM 2.1?
> > >

> > > --
> > > Graham Hughes
> > > MVP Digital Media
> > > Laird of Glencairn
> > > www.dvds2treasure.com
> > > www.simplydv.com
> > >

> > > "Anthony" <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > of

> > > and

(I
> > > get

> > > the

Videos\Untitled_0005.avi
> > > could

> > > else

April 15, 2005 8:58:39 PM

Agreed! I'm just so dang happy I got this thing going. I was starting to
develop a twitch from thinking about it so much.

!