Adobe Mpeg Encoder (mainconcept) Aspect Ratio

Adobe MPEG Encoder - aspect ratio problems

I'm having problems with Adobe MPEG Encoder.
It happens with Version 1.2 and 1.3 beta.

I'm using a DV500 DVD, with Adobe Premiere 6.5.

* I've created a project using the default DV500
preset "Pinnacle Systems D500 - PAL - Pinnacle DV Pal"
(ie. NOT the widescreen preset)
* I've created a 24 bit bitmap, 500 x 500 pixels which contains a circle and
a square
* I've placed it in the premiere timeline, right-clicked on it and in video
options I tagged the "Maintain Aspect Ratio" option
(ie. its got a tick against it). In Advanced->pixel aspect ratio, I told
it the bitmap had "Square Pixels (1.0)".

* I've done a preview through the standard DV500 breakout box
to a video & normal TV and the bitmap appears TOTALLY CORRECT. The square
is a square and the circle is a circle.

-----
However:
If I go to File->Export Timeline->Adobe MPEG Encoder and output an "m2v"
file with the
standing Preset "DVD PAL 4x3 Medium Bitrate", entire project,
then load up the file into windows media player or Pinnacle Impression and
playback or create a DVD with it:-

* The circle is now a very thin oval and the square now shows as a very thin
rectangle
* but all standard DV footage appears correct (other than some 720x576
footage created from after effects which appears corrupted but I assume
that's because that video's 32 bits not 24 bit).

* The only way I can seem to get around the incorrect aspect ratio problem
with adobe mpeg encoder seems to be to export the whole project as a
standard DV AVI, create new project, load in just this AVI, then export the
timeline again with the adobe mpeg encoder.
But this seems like a very big and un-necessary work around which takes a
long time for long projects, and I think it may be re-compressing so the
quality won't be as good.

Please help.

On Thu, 20 May 2004 23:17:45 +0100, "James T. Kirk"
<nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:
>Adobe MPEG Encoder - aspect ratio problems
>I'm having problems with Adobe MPEG Encoder.
>It happens with Version 1.2 and 1.3 beta.
>I'm using a DV500 DVD, with Adobe Premiere 6.5.

For Premiere 6x you might go to their special forum
http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.ee6b372

Near the top of their main page is a link to a sub-forum
totally devoted to the mpg coding module

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

Thanks. I've already asked the question in the adobe forum
(premiere/mpegencoder) with no response. Others in that forum
have had similar problems. Last time it worked
fine using the 'export to avi file first' method, but I'm sure its
re-compressing it. I'm not sure whether it's noticable though.
I'll do it this way for now.