DVD-RW can no longer read or write

April 13, 2005 5:07:01 PM

I'm using XP w SP2 (no problem w that) on a Dell Dimension 8300. My DVD / CD
writer is an NEC DVD+RW ND1100A, I'm using Easy CD Creator 5.34.21 SP28. This
may be a coincidence, but after trying (installing then uninstalling) a
couple of (unsatisfactory) DVD backup software packages (DVDRebuilder,
DVDFabLite and DVDDecrypter) and attempting to copy a couple of files my
writer no longer works. (I also ran RegistryMechanic recently.) Device
Manager says the device is working properly and Windows Explorer shows the
drive, but with no files on it (although showing no space on it either), no
matter what kind of disk (CD-ROM, CD-R, DVD-ROM, DVD+R) I put in the drive.
I get no error messages.

I installed a new driver from NEC, but that didn't help. Thinking then it
was a hardware problem, I purchased a new Memorex DVD-RW drive, but the
results were the same for that drive. (Except I couldn't install the software
since my PC can't see any files on the disk.) I even switched my my DVD-RW
with my DVD-ROM (slave/master, drive D/E) and no matter what, the reader
works but the writer does not.

Everything elso on the PC works, but w/o the CD/DVD-RW I'm dead in the water.

It seems there is some communication problem between the PC and ANY RW
device. I don't know much, but I'd guess it's a registry issue.

Note: When my ROM drive is empty and I click on it in Windows Explorer I get
a message, "Please insert a disk into drive D." When my RW drive is empty -
or contains a disk - I get no message at all.

More about : dvd longer read write

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 11:40:53 PM

I don't remember EZCD Creator v5 being able to burn a DVD. v6, v7 and v7.5
do.

DVD Decryptor is a DVD copying program.. it copies the DVD contents to the
hard drive.

First thing to try is a trail version of EMC v7.5 (the updated EZCD Creator
package now called Easy Media Creator) from www.roxio.com or a trial version
of Nero (www.nero.com).
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"jmcginnes" <jmcginnes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using XP w SP2 (no problem w that) on a Dell Dimension 8300. My DVD /
> CD
> writer is an NEC DVD+RW ND1100A, I'm using Easy CD Creator 5.34.21 SP28.
> This
> may be a coincidence, but after trying (installing then uninstalling) a
> couple of (unsatisfactory) DVD backup software packages (DVDRebuilder,
> DVDFabLite and DVDDecrypter) and attempting to copy a couple of files my
> writer no longer works. (I also ran RegistryMechanic recently.) Device
> Manager says the device is working properly and Windows Explorer shows the
> drive, but with no files on it (although showing no space on it either),
> no
> matter what kind of disk (CD-ROM, CD-R, DVD-ROM, DVD+R) I put in the
> drive.
> I get no error messages.
>
> I installed a new driver from NEC, but that didn't help. Thinking then it
> was a hardware problem, I purchased a new Memorex DVD-RW drive, but the
> results were the same for that drive. (Except I couldn't install the
> software
> since my PC can't see any files on the disk.) I even switched my my DVD-RW
> with my DVD-ROM (slave/master, drive D/E) and no matter what, the reader
> works but the writer does not.
>
> Everything elso on the PC works, but w/o the CD/DVD-RW I'm dead in the
> water.
>
> It seems there is some communication problem between the PC and ANY RW
> device. I don't know much, but I'd guess it's a registry issue.
>
> Note: When my ROM drive is empty and I click on it in Windows Explorer I
> get
> a message, "Please insert a disk into drive D." When my RW drive is
> empty -
> or contains a disk - I get no message at all.

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 12:14:04 PM

Thanks for the return message.....

Yes, ECDC5 does have a "DataDVD" option; I've been putting all my old home
videos on DVD for some time and copying base mpeg files onto DVD for backup,
but I never messed with a commercial DVD (or tape) before. Anyway, I used
DVDDecrypter to put select commercial DVD files onto my hard drive (that
worked OK), but when I dropped those files into ECDC5's DataDVDapp that MAY
be when my problem started. I'm not sure of the event that caused it.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> I don't remember EZCD Creator v5 being able to burn a DVD. v6, v7 and v7.5
> do.
>
> DVD Decryptor is a DVD copying program.. it copies the DVD contents to the
> hard drive.
>
> First thing to try is a trail version of EMC v7.5 (the updated EZCD Creator
> package now called Easy Media Creator) from www.roxio.com or a trial version
> of Nero (www.nero.com).
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>
> "jmcginnes" <jmcginnes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm using XP w SP2 (no problem w that) on a Dell Dimension 8300. My DVD /
> > CD
> > writer is an NEC DVD+RW ND1100A, I'm using Easy CD Creator 5.34.21 SP28.
> > This
> > may be a coincidence, but after trying (installing then uninstalling) a
> > couple of (unsatisfactory) DVD backup software packages (DVDRebuilder,
> > DVDFabLite and DVDDecrypter) and attempting to copy a couple of files my
> > writer no longer works. (I also ran RegistryMechanic recently.) Device
> > Manager says the device is working properly and Windows Explorer shows the
> > drive, but with no files on it (although showing no space on it either),
> > no
> > matter what kind of disk (CD-ROM, CD-R, DVD-ROM, DVD+R) I put in the
> > drive.
> > I get no error messages.
> >
> > I installed a new driver from NEC, but that didn't help. Thinking then it
> > was a hardware problem, I purchased a new Memorex DVD-RW drive, but the
> > results were the same for that drive. (Except I couldn't install the
> > software
> > since my PC can't see any files on the disk.) I even switched my my DVD-RW
> > with my DVD-ROM (slave/master, drive D/E) and no matter what, the reader
> > works but the writer does not.
> >
> > Everything elso on the PC works, but w/o the CD/DVD-RW I'm dead in the
> > water.
> >
> > It seems there is some communication problem between the PC and ANY RW
> > device. I don't know much, but I'd guess it's a registry issue.
> >
> > Note: When my ROM drive is empty and I click on it in Windows Explorer I
> > get
> > a message, "Please insert a disk into drive D." When my RW drive is
> > empty -
> > or contains a disk - I get no message at all.

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 7:42:10 PM

For what it's worth I'm haveing the same issue. I 'm running XP home w/ SP2,
and previously successfully burned DVDs using several programs. Now I
suddenly can't get the external USB burners (1 Pioneer, 1 Liteon) to accept
media. They seem to be able to play DVDs but not copy. I've used Nero,
CloneDVD etc. but the behave the same.

I would guess it's from a MS security hotfix, but I don't know.

The worst is that I can occasinally get the Liteon drive to copy, then it
reverts back t it's comatose state. And this is for home movies mastered to
dvd -- no copywrite or protection problems with the material.

!