Problem with WMM not opening video

April 13, 2005 8:45:02 PM

I have a video clip on my computer, it opens up in my DVD player and it is an
mpeg file. When I go to Windows Movie Maker and click import video it shows
the picture, but I click on it it says "This file is empty" or something like
that. Anyone have any ideas about how to fix it?
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 11:36:52 PM

MPEG1 or MPEG2 file?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"amjl81" <amjl81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a video clip on my computer, it opens up in my DVD player and it is
>an
> mpeg file. When I go to Windows Movie Maker and click import video it
> shows
> the picture, but I click on it it says "This file is empty" or something
> like
> that. Anyone have any ideas about how to fix it?

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 9:07:35 PM

Either way MM does not work well with mpeg files, convert it to an avi/wmv
file and then use that.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

news:o Q7TSrJQFHA.3144@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> MPEG1 or MPEG2 file?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>
> "amjl81" <amjl81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a video clip on my computer, it opens up in my DVD player and it
is
> >an
> > mpeg file. When I go to Windows Movie Maker and click import video it
> > shows
> > the picture, but I click on it it says "This file is empty" or something
> > like
> > that. Anyone have any ideas about how to fix it?

April 17, 2005 11:13:03 PM

I converted it into an avi file, not sure about wmv but the avi does the
same, comes up saying empty file. Let's try to wmv file then..the wmv does
the same, comes up saying the file is empty. I think it hates me.

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> Either way MM does not work well with mpeg files, convert it to an avi/wmv
> file and then use that.
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> Laird of Glencairn
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
> news:o Q7TSrJQFHA.3144@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > MPEG1 or MPEG2 file?
> > --
> > Cari (MS-MVP)
> > Printing & Imaging
> >
> > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
> >
> > "amjl81" <amjl81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have a video clip on my computer, it opens up in my DVD player and it
> is
> > >an
> > > mpeg file. When I go to Windows Movie Maker and click import video it
> > > shows
> > > the picture, but I click on it it says "This file is empty" or something
> > > like
> > > that. Anyone have any ideas about how to fix it?

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 6:46:09 AM

>I converted it into an avi file, not sure about wmv but the avi does the
> same, comes up saying empty file. Let's try to wmv file then..the wmv does
> the same, comes up saying the file is empty. I think it hates me.

You converted it to an AVI file?
So can we assume that in the software that you used to convert,
did that software play it?
Lets start at the beginning..........
As an "mpeg", did it playback in any other media player excluding WMP?
What software did you use to convert to an AVI? and to WMV?
Of all these video files that you now have that won't play, in the folder
where you have them, are they listed as zero bytes?

What actually produces the message stating "file is empty"?
Is it a Windows dialog?
Or does Win Media player open then produces the message?
Do you receive any other error messages?

Try this, place cursor on the video clip, RIGHT click
In the menu that appears, click on "open with"
A list should appear of any (if any?) media playing software
installed, Select another media player for playback of the file(s).

And now my ha'penny's worth concerning your post -
You have typed meaningless nonsense concerning your problem?
You state it is an mpeg and "opens up" in your DVD player -
Do you mean DVD software such as powerDVD etc?
If so then play it in that software!
!