Wireless network issues

I am new to all this wireless stuff, but I set up a wireless network for my
house for two laptops, both running Windows XP. The other laptop didn't have
a wireless card, so we bought a package that gave us the wireless router and
one card. My laptop already has a wireless card installed. After much work,
we finally got the other laptop to work and recognize the wireless network,
but no matter what I try my laptop won't recognize it. Does anyone have any
ideas? Could my wireless card be too old or incompatable, even thought I was
told it would work with my card? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Please help, this is so frustrating!
2 answers Last reply
More about wireless network issues

    There are several reasons why your older card is not working. Without
    knowing the details I'm guessing that you may be using WPA on your access
    point which is not supported by your old laptop or your using 802.11a and
    your old wireless laptop is using 802.11b. There are many other
    possibilities but without knowing the details I can't go further.

    What is the make/brand and model of you Access point and card combo? What
    encryption modes do they support?
    What is the make/brand and model of your internal wireless card?

    How have you set up the AP? What Encryption/Authenticaion mode are you
    using?

    You may try updating the driver for your internal wireless card and see if
    that makes a difference.

    Craig Clark
    Windows Networking

    purposes only.
    "Tribul" <Tribul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am new to all this wireless stuff, but I set up a wireless network for my
    > house for two laptops, both running Windows XP. The other laptop didn't
    > have
    > a wireless card, so we bought a package that gave us the wireless router
    > and
    > one card. My laptop already has a wireless card installed. After much
    > work,
    > we finally got the other laptop to work and recognize the wireless
    > network,
    > but no matter what I try my laptop won't recognize it. Does anyone have
    > any
    > ideas? Could my wireless card be too old or incompatable, even thought I
    > was
    > told it would work with my card? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
    > Please help, this is so frustrating!

    Hi.
    May be this can Help.

    Wireless - Basic: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Tribul" <Tribul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am new to all this wireless stuff, but I set up a wireless network for
    my
    > house for two laptops, both running Windows XP. The other laptop didn't
    have
    > a wireless card, so we bought a package that gave us the wireless router
    and
    > one card. My laptop already has a wireless card installed. After much
    work,
    > we finally got the other laptop to work and recognize the wireless
    network,
    > but no matter what I try my laptop won't recognize it. Does anyone have
    any
    > ideas? Could my wireless card be too old or incompatable, even thought I
    was
    > told it would work with my card? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
    > Please help, this is so frustrating!

Wireless Laptops Wireless Network Wireless Networking