Firewire to Canon ZR 80 camcorder to Toshiba Satellite p25..

April 16, 2005 1:19:01 AM

Windows movie maker is unable to detect my camcorder. I have it connected via
a four pin firewire via canon's instructions. I just keep receiving the
following error message. "A video capture device was not detected. Verify
that a device is turned on and connected properly, and then try again." I
have rebooted several times, triple checked the connections, disabled an
enabled the 1394 connection. Nothing works. Please help. Thank You
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 7:28:19 PM

Vince Brennan Wrote:
> Windows movie maker is unable to detect my camcorder. I have it
> connected via
> a four pin firewire via canon's instructions. I just keep receiving
> the
> following error message. "A video capture device was not detected.
> Verify
> that a device is turned on and connected properly, and then try again."
> have rebooted several times, triple checked the connections, disabled
> an
> enabled the 1394 connection. Nothing works. Please help. Thank You
'SP2 Forum' (http://tinyurl.com/7vuxs)

That's correct, this first popped up in _August_. Firewire devices were
officialy changed to a protected network device. No amount of post's
here can come up with the answer of how to access DV cameras that were
recognized in SP1, running the same hardware. You will get post backs
saying, "look for new drivers for your camera from the manufacturer."
Camera manufacturers do not post new drivers because the XP OS is
supposed to natively support firewire, and your camera. The only item I
saw for your camera is the application software; 'DV Messenger 2 '
(http://tinyurl.com/9o8pu)
Have you tried that instead of Movie Maker?

The only other fix I have seen work is this; Roll back to SP1 Drivers.
Go to C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 & C:\dllcache in SP1 and copy out
the
following files
SBP2port.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers & \system32\dllcache
1394bus.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
arp1394.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
nic1394.sys is in c:\Windows\System32\Drivers
ohci1394.sys is in C:\windows\System32\drivers
enum1394.sys is in C:\windows\system32\drivers

Copy out the following files to a new folder you can call
"Firewirefix," (without quotes)

Stop XP Sp2 from re-installing it's drivers again by:
Renaming the XP2.cab file to (e.g. to XP2old.cab)

Replace the SP2 versions of these files with the SP1 versions in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers & C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache in safe
mode.

Go to device manager for your ohci firewire card and update SP2 drivers
to the SP1 drivers by pointing to Firewirefix.(warning message normal)
Reboot.

Now this may help, and your mileage may vary. I've seen it posted on DV
forums as a fix. Anything you can think of to add Graham, that might
help?
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman
Anonymous

--
Treeman
Anonymous

Treeman, I'd suggeest checking through all other possibilities before going
down the roll back drivers route.
Did the OP upgrade to SP2 and then find his cam no longer worked?
Is this the first time he's connected his cam and found it doesn't work?
What is his full OS?
Has he checked to see whether the cable/cam/firewire card are faulty, by
cross checking everything on another known to work pc or with a known to
work cam say?
Does XP give him the ping found new hardware when connecting?
etc??

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Treeman" <Treeman.1nldpr@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Vince Brennan Wrote:
> > Windows movie maker is unable to detect my camcorder. I have it
> > connected via
> > a four pin firewire via canon's instructions. I just keep receiving
> > the
> > following error message. "A video capture device was not detected.
> > Verify
> > that a device is turned on and connected properly, and then try again."
> > have rebooted several times, triple checked the connections, disabled
> > an
> > enabled the 1394 connection. Nothing works. Please help. Thank You
> 'SP2 Forum' (http://tinyurl.com/7vuxs)
>
> That's correct, this first popped up in _August_. Firewire devices were
> officialy changed to a protected network device. No amount of post's
> here can come up with the answer of how to access DV cameras that were
> recognized in SP1, running the same hardware. You will get post backs
> saying, "look for new drivers for your camera from the manufacturer."
> Camera manufacturers do not post new drivers because the XP OS is
> supposed to natively support firewire, and your camera. The only item I
> saw for your camera is the application software; 'DV Messenger 2 '
> (http://tinyurl.com/9o8pu)
> Have you tried that instead of Movie Maker?
>
> The only other fix I have seen work is this; Roll back to SP1 Drivers.
> Go to C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 & C:\dllcache in SP1 and copy out
> the
> following files
> SBP2port.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers & \system32\dllcache
> 1394bus.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
> arp1394.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
> nic1394.sys is in c:\Windows\System32\Drivers
> ohci1394.sys is in C:\windows\System32\drivers
> enum1394.sys is in C:\windows\system32\drivers
>
> Copy out the following files to a new folder you can call
> "Firewirefix," (without quotes)
>
> Stop XP Sp2 from re-installing it's drivers again by:
> Renaming the XP2.cab file to (e.g. to XP2old.cab)
>
> Replace the SP2 versions of these files with the SP1 versions in
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers & C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache in safe
> mode.
>
> Go to device manager for your ohci firewire card and update SP2 drivers
> to the SP1 drivers by pointing to Firewirefix.(warning message normal)
> Reboot.
>
> Now this may help, and your mileage may vary. I've seen it posted on DV
> forums as a fix. Anything you can think of to add Graham, that might
> help?
> Best,
> Treeman
>

> --