Dual Monitors

April 16, 2005 10:16:02 AM

I am trying to add a second video card to my system running Windows XP - Home
Hdition - SP2. I have an ATI Technologies 3D Rage 11C AGP video card, a
Cirrus Logic 5446 Compatible Graphics Adapter (PCI) and a Trident Video
Accelarator 96XX/938X (PCI). I can install any of the above and they work
fine - XP picks them up and installs them with not problem so all three cards
appear to be okay. However, whenever I install a second card, regardless of
what combination I've tried, I always get XP finding the second card but,
when going into the Device Manager, I see "This device cannot start. (Code
10)." I would just like to use two of the cards - no need for all three in
my application. The motherboard is an Intel SE440BX-2.

More about : dual monitors

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 2:38:26 PM

Code 10 usually infers it cannot find the correct drivers.

Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Tom Hain" <Tom Hain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to add a second video card to my system running Windows XP -
> Hdition - SP2. I have an ATI Technologies 3D Rage 11C AGP video card, a
> Cirrus Logic 5446 Compatible Graphics Adapter (PCI) and a Trident Video
> Accelarator 96XX/938X (PCI). I can install any of the above and they work
> fine - XP picks them up and installs them with not problem so all three
> cards
> appear to be okay. However, whenever I install a second card, regardless
> of
> what combination I've tried, I always get XP finding the second card but,
> when going into the Device Manager, I see "This device cannot start. (Code
> 10)." I would just like to use two of the cards - no need for all three
> in
> my application. The motherboard is an Intel SE440BX-2.

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 3:16:01 PM

I agree. But, when inserting any of the video cards by themselves, XP
locates the drivers and installs them correctly. I only get the Code 10
error when installing the second card, regardless of which order I install
them.
tom

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Code 10 usually infers it cannot find the correct drivers.
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...
>

> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>
> "Tom Hain" <Tom Hain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to add a second video card to my system running Windows XP -
> > Hdition - SP2. I have an ATI Technologies 3D Rage 11C AGP video card, a
> > Cirrus Logic 5446 Compatible Graphics Adapter (PCI) and a Trident Video
> > Accelarator 96XX/938X (PCI). I can install any of the above and they work
> > fine - XP picks them up and installs them with not problem so all three
> > cards
> > appear to be okay. However, whenever I install a second card, regardless
> > of
> > what combination I've tried, I always get XP finding the second card but,
> > when going into the Device Manager, I see "This device cannot start. (Code
> > 10)." I would just like to use two of the cards - no need for all three
> > in
> > my application. The motherboard is an Intel SE440BX-2.

April 16, 2005 11:13:36 PM

If it's not that then it may be the bios is not set correctly to pick up the
monitors in correct order.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

news:o YHSZsqQFHA.2604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Code 10 usually infers it cannot find the correct drivers.

> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>
> "Tom Hain" <Tom Hain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to add a second video card to my system running Windows XP -
> > Hdition - SP2. I have an ATI Technologies 3D Rage 11C AGP video card, a
> > Cirrus Logic 5446 Compatible Graphics Adapter (PCI) and a Trident Video
> > Accelarator 96XX/938X (PCI). I can install any of the above and they
work
> > fine - XP picks them up and installs them with not problem so all three
> > cards
> > appear to be okay. However, whenever I install a second card,
regardless
> > of
> > what combination I've tried, I always get XP finding the second card
but,
> > when going into the Device Manager, I see "This device cannot start.
(Code
> > 10)." I would just like to use two of the cards - no need for all three
> > in
> > my application. The motherboard is an Intel SE440BX-2.

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 11:14:06 PM

I used a Cirrus Logic for 2nd display under 98SE, card doesn't work under
XP. Trident cxard I have never did work as 2nd display for anything. I
suspect you'll find using two vid cards under XP implies cards that are at
least early 3d accellerated type cards.

Better choice is to get a dual-head card.

>I agree. But, when inserting any of the video cards by themselves, XP
> locates the drivers and installs them correctly. I only get the Code 10
> error when installing the second card, regardless of which order I install
> them.
> tom
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Code 10 usually infers it cannot find the correct drivers.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...
>>

>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>
>> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>>
>> "Tom Hain" <Tom Hain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am trying to add a second video card to my system running Windows XP -
>> > Hdition - SP2. I have an ATI Technologies 3D Rage 11C AGP video card,
>> > Cirrus Logic 5446 Compatible Graphics Adapter (PCI) and a Trident Video
>> > Accelarator 96XX/938X (PCI). I can install any of the above and they
>> > work
>> > fine - XP picks them up and installs them with not problem so all three
>> > cards
>> > appear to be okay. However, whenever I install a second card,
>> > regardless
>> > of
>> > what combination I've tried, I always get XP finding the second card
>> > but,
>> > when going into the Device Manager, I see "This device cannot start.
>> > (Code
>> > 10)." I would just like to use two of the cards - no need for all
>> > three
>> > in
>> > my application. The motherboard is an Intel SE440BX-2.

April 17, 2005 1:22:45 AM

Could be the cards themselves don't get along - you may need to have two
from the same manufacturer; ie.e two each ATI Radeons- one PCI and one AGP.

"Tom Hain" <TomHain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I agree. But, when inserting any of the video cards by themselves, XP
> locates the drivers and installs them correctly. I only get the Code 10
> error when installing the second card, regardless of which order I install
> them.
> tom
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Code 10 usually infers it cannot find the correct drivers.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...
>>

>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>
>> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>>
>> "Tom Hain" <Tom Hain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am trying to add a second video card to my system running Windows XP -
>> > Hdition - SP2. I have an ATI Technologies 3D Rage 11C AGP video card,
>> > Cirrus Logic 5446 Compatible Graphics Adapter (PCI) and a Trident Video
>> > Accelarator 96XX/938X (PCI). I can install any of the above and they
>> > work
>> > fine - XP picks them up and installs them with not problem so all three
>> > cards
>> > appear to be okay. However, whenever I install a second card,
>> > regardless
>> > of
>> > what combination I've tried, I always get XP finding the second card
>> > but,
>> > when going into the Device Manager, I see "This device cannot start.
>> > (Code
>> > 10)." I would just like to use two of the cards - no need for all
>> > three
>> > in
>> > my application. The motherboard is an Intel SE440BX-2.

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 11:46:38 AM

news:o KgXVUwQFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Could be the cards themselves don't get along - you may need to have two
> from the same manufacturer; ie.e two each ATI Radeons- one PCI and one
> AGP.

I'd recommend staying away from using two ATI cards in system. Although
problems were minimal under XP (horrendous under 9x) the drivers still want
to fight among themselves.

!