Dual Monitors

I am trying to add a second video card to my system running Windows XP - Home
Hdition - SP2. I have an ATI Technologies 3D Rage 11C AGP video card, a
Cirrus Logic 5446 Compatible Graphics Adapter (PCI) and a Trident Video
Accelarator 96XX/938X (PCI). I can install any of the above and they work
fine - XP picks them up and installs them with not problem so all three cards
appear to be okay. However, whenever I install a second card, regardless of
what combination I've tried, I always get XP finding the second card but,
when going into the Device Manager, I see "This device cannot start. (Code
10)." I would just like to use two of the cards - no need for all three in
my application. The motherboard is an Intel SE440BX-2.
6 answers Last reply
More about dual monitors

    Code 10 usually infers it cannot find the correct drivers.
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prjk_dec_lgsc.asp

    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Tom Hain" <Tom Hain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to add a second video card to my system running Windows XP -
    > Hdition - SP2. I have an ATI Technologies 3D Rage 11C AGP video card, a
    > Cirrus Logic 5446 Compatible Graphics Adapter (PCI) and a Trident Video
    > Accelarator 96XX/938X (PCI). I can install any of the above and they work
    > fine - XP picks them up and installs them with not problem so all three
    > cards
    > appear to be okay. However, whenever I install a second card, regardless
    > of
    > what combination I've tried, I always get XP finding the second card but,
    > when going into the Device Manager, I see "This device cannot start. (Code
    > 10)." I would just like to use two of the cards - no need for all three
    > in
    > my application. The motherboard is an Intel SE440BX-2.

    I agree. But, when inserting any of the video cards by themselves, XP
    locates the drivers and installs them correctly. I only get the Code 10
    error when installing the second card, regardless of which order I install
    them.
    tom

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Code 10 usually infers it cannot find the correct drivers.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prjk_dec_lgsc.asp
    >

    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >
    > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >
    > "Tom Hain" <Tom Hain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am trying to add a second video card to my system running Windows XP -
    > > Hdition - SP2. I have an ATI Technologies 3D Rage 11C AGP video card, a
    > > Cirrus Logic 5446 Compatible Graphics Adapter (PCI) and a Trident Video
    > > Accelarator 96XX/938X (PCI). I can install any of the above and they work
    > > fine - XP picks them up and installs them with not problem so all three
    > > cards
    > > appear to be okay. However, whenever I install a second card, regardless
    > > of
    > > what combination I've tried, I always get XP finding the second card but,
    > > when going into the Device Manager, I see "This device cannot start. (Code
    > > 10)." I would just like to use two of the cards - no need for all three
    > > in
    > > my application. The motherboard is an Intel SE440BX-2.

    If it's not that then it may be the bios is not set correctly to pick up the
    monitors in correct order.

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    > Code 10 usually infers it cannot find the correct drivers.

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prjk_dec_lgsc.asp

    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >
    > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >
    > "Tom Hain" <Tom Hain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am trying to add a second video card to my system running Windows XP -
    > > Hdition - SP2. I have an ATI Technologies 3D Rage 11C AGP video card, a
    > > Cirrus Logic 5446 Compatible Graphics Adapter (PCI) and a Trident Video
    > > Accelarator 96XX/938X (PCI). I can install any of the above and they
    work
    > > fine - XP picks them up and installs them with not problem so all three
    > > cards
    > > appear to be okay. However, whenever I install a second card,
    regardless
    > > of
    > > what combination I've tried, I always get XP finding the second card
    but,
    > > when going into the Device Manager, I see "This device cannot start.
    (Code
    > > 10)." I would just like to use two of the cards - no need for all three
    > > in
    > > my application. The motherboard is an Intel SE440BX-2.

    I used a Cirrus Logic for 2nd display under 98SE, card doesn't work under
    XP. Trident cxard I have never did work as 2nd display for anything. I
    suspect you'll find using two vid cards under XP implies cards that are at
    least early 3d accellerated type cards.

    Better choice is to get a dual-head card.

    >I agree. But, when inserting any of the video cards by themselves, XP
    > locates the drivers and installs them correctly. I only get the Code 10
    > error when installing the second card, regardless of which order I install
    > them.
    > tom
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Code 10 usually infers it cannot find the correct drivers.
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prjk_dec_lgsc.asp
    >>

    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> Printing & Imaging
    >>
    >> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >>
    >> "Tom Hain" <Tom Hain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am trying to add a second video card to my system running Windows XP -
    >> > Hdition - SP2. I have an ATI Technologies 3D Rage 11C AGP video card,
    >> > Cirrus Logic 5446 Compatible Graphics Adapter (PCI) and a Trident Video
    >> > Accelarator 96XX/938X (PCI). I can install any of the above and they
    >> > work
    >> > fine - XP picks them up and installs them with not problem so all three
    >> > cards
    >> > appear to be okay. However, whenever I install a second card,
    >> > regardless
    >> > of
    >> > what combination I've tried, I always get XP finding the second card
    >> > but,
    >> > when going into the Device Manager, I see "This device cannot start.
    >> > (Code
    >> > 10)." I would just like to use two of the cards - no need for all
    >> > three
    >> > in
    >> > my application. The motherboard is an Intel SE440BX-2.

    Could be the cards themselves don't get along - you may need to have two
    from the same manufacturer; ie.e two each ATI Radeons- one PCI and one AGP.

    > Could be the cards themselves don't get along - you may need to have two
    > from the same manufacturer; ie.e two each ATI Radeons- one PCI and one
    > AGP.

    I'd recommend staying away from using two ATI cards in system. Although
    problems were minimal under XP (horrendous under 9x) the drivers still want
    to fight among themselves.

    > "Tom Hain" <TomHain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I agree. But, when inserting any of the video cards by themselves, XP
    >> locates the drivers and installs them correctly. I only get the Code 10
    >> error when installing the second card, regardless of which order I
    >> install
    >> them.
    >> tom
    >>
    >> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Code 10 usually infers it cannot find the correct drivers.
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prjk_dec_lgsc.asp
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >>> Printing & Imaging
    >>>
    >>> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >>>
    >>> "Tom Hain" <Tom Hain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Video Windows XP