transferring pictures from camcorder to laptop

my laptop has no ieee port but has usb ports.
When i connect my samsung vpl870 hi8 camcorder to the usb port and follow
installation instructions i get a message telling me to install relevent
disc.
I do not have a disc to download so am i able to download a compatible
programme from the net. Which programme do i need?

Any help mucho appreciated.

in my experience doing media through USB ports is a risky bussiness and
windows may not like it.

If you have a slot on the side of your laptop you maybe able to purchase a
firewire card to slop in there which will make the whole proccess a lot
easier and even movie maker will copy the video accross nicely.

"compillit" wrote:

> my laptop has no ieee port but has usb ports.
> When i connect my samsung vpl870 hi8 camcorder to the usb port and follow
> installation instructions i get a message telling me to install relevent
> disc.
> I do not have a disc to download so am i able to download a compatible
> programme from the net. Which programme do i need?
>
> Any help mucho appreciated.

yes a pcmcia firewire card would be the best route. Otherwise you should
have had usb drivers and maybe an app from the cam manufacturers, visit
their site and see what they have.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media