New HD will not capture video files correctly

I recently purchased a 160gb Western Digital HD for a slave drive just
to store video. I formatted it (NTFS) and tried to capture some video.
The problem is that it is not capturing, or saving the video properly.
The data is all scrambled. If I try to save it to my main HD, no
problem. I'm using WMM2, and a firewire, 2.4Ghz. 512 DDR RAM. Any
suggestions?? Thanks.

KizerSosey wrote:

> I recently purchased a 160gb Western Digital HD for a slave drive just
> to store video. I formatted it (NTFS) and tried to capture some video.
> The problem is that it is not capturing, or saving the video properly.
> The data is all scrambled. If I try to save it to my main HD, no
> problem. I'm using WMM2, and a firewire, 2.4Ghz. 512 DDR RAM. Any
> suggestions?? Thanks.

Make sure you're using 48 bit LBA.
http://www.48bitlba.com/

-WD

> Make sure you're using 48 bit LBA.
> http://www.48bitlba.com/
>

> -WD

I am

vedivan6@hotmail.com (KizerSosey) wrote in

>> Make sure you're using 48 bit LBA.
>> http://www.48bitlba.com/
>>

>> -WD
>
> I am

What worked for unscrambling my > 137 GB hard drive was upgrading to
the latest "Intel Application Accelerator"

I'm not sure (I forgot!), but it might be better to download a version
from your motherboard manufacturer specific to your motherboard, rather
than a version from Intel.

HTh,
Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

"Gene E. Bloch" wrote:

> What worked for unscrambling my > 137 GB hard drive was upgrading to
> the latest "Intel Application Accelerator"

This is essentially a chipset driver to properly enable all the ultra-DMA
modes.

> I'm not sure (I forgot!), but it might be better to download a version
> from your motherboard manufacturer specific to your motherboard, rather
> than a version from Intel.

Good advice.

But make sure you have SP1 if you're using XP.

If you're using Win2K you need at least SP3.

If you're using Win98SE, WinME, Win98, you need to upgrade the OS to Win2K
or XP.

Keith Clark <clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote in

> "Gene E. Bloch" wrote:
>

>> What worked for unscrambling my > 137 GB hard drive was upgrading
>> to the latest "Intel Application Accelerator"
>
> This is essentially a chipset driver to properly enable all the
> ultra-DMA modes.
>

>> I'm not sure (I forgot!), but it might be better to download a
>> version from your motherboard manufacturer specific to your
>> motherboard, rather than a version from Intel.
>>

> Good advice.
>
> But make sure you have SP1 if you're using XP.
>
> If you're using Win2K you need at least SP3.
>
> If you're using Win98SE, WinME, Win98, you need to upgrade the OS
> to Win2K or XP.

Thanks for the additions to my post. Nice to know that someone half-
informed (me!) will trigger a more detailed response.

It would be interesting to know if the OP tried this and if so, how
it went.

Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

Well, I went to my MB homepage, d/l the Accelerator, and unfortunately
it didn't work. I just bought this drive, and it is useless to me
unless I can fix this. Hopefully someone can help.

> Well, I went to my MB homepage, d/l the Accelerator, and
> unfortunately it didn't work. I just bought this drive, and it is
> useless to me unless I can fix this. Hopefully someone can help.

My only other idea is this:

Try repartitioning the drive to under 137 GB and try it again. Note: I
don't know the exact dividing line, only the approximate figure "137
GB"...

If it works OK then, then the problem is your MB or drivers or
controller.

If that doesn't help, then I suspect the drive is faulty.

Sorry I can't help more...
Gino