  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
September 20, 2004 2:41:45 AM

I have a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router in a room where the cable modem
is. Before I bought this, I had a Linksys Wireless-G Access Point connected
to my wired network in another room.

Now I have both of them. How should I setup the Access Point?

If I set it up as a wireless repeater, does it have to remain connected to
the network in order to operate?

If I leave it setup in an Access Point mode (since it still is connected to
my home network), can I just leave the SSID the same, and use the same
channel as my router, and just have it as another access point to the same
network?

More about : wireless router separate access point

September 21, 2004 2:58:14 AM

Hi

It is Not clear what would you like to do with the Access Point?

May be this can Help.

Wireless Modes: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html

Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Tim" <timakal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router in a room where the cable
modem
> is. Before I bought this, I had a Linksys Wireless-G Access Point
connected
> to my wired network in another room.
>
> Now I have both of them. How should I setup the Access Point?
>
> If I set it up as a wireless repeater, does it have to remain connected to
> the network in order to operate?
>
> If I leave it setup in an Access Point mode (since it still is connected
> my home network), can I just leave the SSID the same, and use the same
> channel as my router, and just have it as another access point to the same
> network?

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 21, 2004 2:35:46 PM

If you are saying that you now have a "spare" access point and would like to
use it, you can use it to extend your range. Put your access point in a
location where you have a poor signal, but a wired port availabled.
Configure the access point with identical settings to your router including
the SSID and encryption/authentication settings. The only things that would
be different are the IP address and the channel. Even though Linksys
recommends the same channel, use a different channel. An example of
non-overlapping channels to use would be 1, 6, and 11. If you set one
device to 1, set the other one to 6 or 11. You should now be able to roam
between access points without losing your connection.

Jeff

"Tim" <timakal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router in a room where the cable
>modem is. Before I bought this, I had a Linksys Wireless-G Access Point
>connected to my wired network in another room.
>
> Now I have both of them. How should I setup the Access Point?
>
> If I set it up as a wireless repeater, does it have to remain connected to
> the network in order to operate?
>
> If I leave it setup in an Access Point mode (since it still is connected
> to my home network), can I just leave the SSID the same, and use the same
> channel as my router, and just have it as another access point to the same
> network?

a b F Wireless
September 21, 2004 8:29:04 PM

Alot depends if you want wireless roaming or a wireless repeater.
If you want wireless roaming, you need to wire the access point to the
router with Ethernet and use the same channel and SSID.

If you want a repeater, you can do this wirelessly using the Wireless
Distribution System (WDS) which both these Linksys devices support.
Basically, you use the same SSID but channels that don't overlap like
1 and 6 or 3 and 8. (1 and 11 work as well). There is a place on the
routers admin page to specify the Mac address of the AP in the WDS
setup.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Thank you for the responses. I was just unclear about a few wireless details
(I'm quite new at this). I'll set it as another AP so I can have the
wireless "roaming" :)

Thanks

!