Wireless Router & Separate Access Point

I have a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router in a room where the cable modem
is. Before I bought this, I had a Linksys Wireless-G Access Point connected
to my wired network in another room.

Now I have both of them. How should I setup the Access Point?

If I set it up as a wireless repeater, does it have to remain connected to
the network in order to operate?

If I leave it setup in an Access Point mode (since it still is connected to
my home network), can I just leave the SSID the same, and use the same
channel as my router, and just have it as another access point to the same
network?
4 answers Last reply
More about wireless router separate access point

    Hi

    It is Not clear what would you like to do with the Access Point?

    May be this can Help.

    Wireless Modes: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html

    Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Tim" <timakal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router in a room where the cable
    modem
    > is. Before I bought this, I had a Linksys Wireless-G Access Point
    connected
    > to my wired network in another room.
    >
    > Now I have both of them. How should I setup the Access Point?
    >
    > If I set it up as a wireless repeater, does it have to remain connected to
    > the network in order to operate?
    >
    > If I leave it setup in an Access Point mode (since it still is connected
    > my home network), can I just leave the SSID the same, and use the same
    > channel as my router, and just have it as another access point to the same
    > network?

    If you are saying that you now have a "spare" access point and would like to
    use it, you can use it to extend your range. Put your access point in a
    location where you have a poor signal, but a wired port availabled.
    Configure the access point with identical settings to your router including
    the SSID and encryption/authentication settings. The only things that would
    be different are the IP address and the channel. Even though Linksys
    recommends the same channel, use a different channel. An example of
    non-overlapping channels to use would be 1, 6, and 11. If you set one
    device to 1, set the other one to 6 or 11. You should now be able to roam
    between access points without losing your connection.

    Jeff

    "Tim" <timakal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router in a room where the cable
    >modem is. Before I bought this, I had a Linksys Wireless-G Access Point
    >connected to my wired network in another room.
    >
    > Now I have both of them. How should I setup the Access Point?
    >
    > If I set it up as a wireless repeater, does it have to remain connected to
    > the network in order to operate?
    >
    > If I leave it setup in an Access Point mode (since it still is connected
    > to my home network), can I just leave the SSID the same, and use the same
    > channel as my router, and just have it as another access point to the same
    > network?

    Alot depends if you want wireless roaming or a wireless repeater.
    If you want wireless roaming, you need to wire the access point to the
    router with Ethernet and use the same channel and SSID.

    If you want a repeater, you can do this wirelessly using the Wireless
    Distribution System (WDS) which both these Linksys devices support.
    Basically, you use the same SSID but channels that don't overlap like
    1 and 6 or 3 and 8. (1 and 11 work as well). There is a place on the
    routers admin page to specify the Mac address of the AP in the WDS
    setup.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Thank you for the responses. I was just unclear about a few wireless details
    (I'm quite new at this). I'll set it as another AP so I can have the
    wireless "roaming" :)

    Thanks

    "Tim" <timakal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router in a room where the cable
    >modem is. Before I bought this, I had a Linksys Wireless-G Access Point
    >connected to my wired network in another room.
    >
    > Now I have both of them. How should I setup the Access Point?
    >
    > If I set it up as a wireless repeater, does it have to remain connected to
    > the network in order to operate?
    >
    > If I leave it setup in an Access Point mode (since it still is connected
    > to my home network), can I just leave the SSID the same, and use the same
    > channel as my router, and just have it as another access point to the same
    > network?

Wireless Wireless Router Linksys Wireless Networking