Video playback - choppy when in full screen view

Hi there,
I've recently installed XP - I had been running Win2000...

I use both Windows Media Player and DivX Player when viewing the movies I've
downloaded...

When I change the screen size from very small to full screen - I've noticed
that the playback is very choppy and sometimes the audio and video become
un-synched.

Is there some sort of tweak to boost the playback? I'm not an advanced user
- more of an intermediate sort of user - so I don't know all the tricks of
the trade stuff...

Any help would be appreciated.

PS: If there's any information I've not included that may be of use -
please let me know and I'll fill in the blanks.

Cheers, Angie
--
AMLR
4 answers Last reply

    It would depend on the compression of the videos. If they are highly
    compressed (as are most that are designed for download) that is entirely
    natural. You don't notice it when it is at 100% but double or more and it
    begins to look horrible.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "AMLR" <AMLR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    > I've recently installed XP - I had been running Win2000...
    >
    > I use both Windows Media Player and DivX Player when viewing the movies
    > I've
    > downloaded...
    >
    > When I change the screen size from very small to full screen - I've
    > noticed
    > that the playback is very choppy and sometimes the audio and video become
    > un-synched.
    >
    > Is there some sort of tweak to boost the playback? I'm not an advanced
    > user
    > - more of an intermediate sort of user - so I don't know all the tricks of
    > the trade stuff...
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > PS: If there's any information I've not included that may be of use -
    > please let me know and I'll fill in the blanks.
    >
    > Cheers, Angie
    > --
    > AMLR

    Thanks for your response...

    Is there anything that I can do to improve the playback - as I would like to
    view the movies on my TV screen. Or to boost Windows Media Player's output?

    Angie

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > It would depend on the compression of the videos. If they are highly
    > compressed (as are most that are designed for download) that is entirely
    > natural. You don't notice it when it is at 100% but double or more and it
    > begins to look horrible.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >
    > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >
    > "AMLR" <AMLR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi there,
    > > I've recently installed XP - I had been running Win2000...
    > >
    > > I use both Windows Media Player and DivX Player when viewing the movies
    > > I've
    > > downloaded...
    > >
    > > When I change the screen size from very small to full screen - I've
    > > noticed
    > > that the playback is very choppy and sometimes the audio and video become
    > > un-synched.
    > >
    > > Is there some sort of tweak to boost the playback? I'm not an advanced
    > > user
    > > - more of an intermediate sort of user - so I don't know all the tricks of
    > > the trade stuff...
    > >
    > > Any help would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > PS: If there's any information I've not included that may be of use -
    > > please let me know and I'll fill in the blanks.
    > >
    > > Cheers, Angie
    > > --
    > > AMLR

    Not unless you can find a less compressed version of the movie.

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > It would depend on the compression of the videos. If they are highly
    > compressed (as are most that are designed for download) that is entirely
    > natural. You don't notice it when it is at 100% but double or more and it
    > begins to look horrible.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >
    > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >
    > "AMLR" <AMLR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi there,
    > > I've recently installed XP - I had been running Win2000...
    > >
    > > I use both Windows Media Player and DivX Player when viewing the movies
    > > I've
    > > downloaded...
    > >
    > > When I change the screen size from very small to full screen - I've
    > > noticed
    > > that the playback is very choppy and sometimes the audio and video become
    > > un-synched.
    > >
    > > Is there some sort of tweak to boost the playback? I'm not an advanced
    > > user
    > > - more of an intermediate sort of user - so I don't know all the tricks of
    > > the trade stuff...
    > >
    > > Any help would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > PS: If there's any information I've not included that may be of use -
    > > please let me know and I'll fill in the blanks.
    > >
    > > Cheers, Angie
    > > --
    > > AMLR

Video Windows XP