HELP-Cutting MPG/AVI with VirtualDub?

bonez

Distinguished
May 23, 2004

OK I hope I can get help with my 2 problems...

First - I've been experimenting with VirtualDub to see how to cut an
AVI video into smaller videos. The video is a music concert so my goal
is to cut it so that the files that I make play continuously. At first
I make the MarkIn at frame 0 then the MarkOut at for example frame
100. I save as AVI with Direct Stream Copy and the first file comes
out perfect. So next I try to cut the next part. I would think that by
making the next MarkIn at 101 and saving as Direct Stream the next
video would start where the first one left off but instead the second
video kinda starts 5 secords before the MarkIn.
So how can I make it so it doesn't repeat the last 5 seconds of the
first video and instead start where the first video left off?

Second - I tried to to the same as above to an MPG file but cannot to
a Direct Stream Copy. What are the best settings so that VirtualDub
does a Direct Stream or very similar? I do not want to lose any
audio/video quality.

Hope that wasn't too long...Many thanks!

P.S. - If anyone needs any more info that can help you to help me
please post.

BoNeZ

BoNeZ <699942@helixcharter.net> wrote:
: First - I've been experimenting with VirtualDub to see how to cut an
: AVI video into smaller videos. The video is a music concert so my goal
: is to cut it so that the files that I make play continuously. At first
: I make the MarkIn at frame 0 then the MarkOut at for example frame
: 100. I save as AVI with Direct Stream Copy and the first file comes

MarkIn? I'm not sure what version of VD you're using. But I think you want to
use Edit->Set Selection Start or just hit the button HOME. For the end click
the button END. Then you need to cut the unwanted material.

: out perfect. So next I try to cut the next part. I would think that by
: making the next MarkIn at 101 and saving as Direct Stream the next
: video would start where the first one left off but instead the second
: video kinda starts 5 secords before the MarkIn.

: So how can I make it so it doesn't repeat the last 5 seconds of the
: first video and instead start where the first video left off?

If I were you, I'd just use AVISynth script. Which would look like:
AVISource("YourAVIfile.avi")
Trim(frameBeginning,frameEnd)

Save this file and clip1.avs and load to virtualdub.
clip2.avs would look like previous one except for:
Trim(frameEnd+1,frameNewEnd)

etc etc.

Anyway, what are you trying to do?

--Leonid

Rich

"BoNeZ" <699942@helixcharter.net> wrote in message
<snips>

> Second - I tried to to the same as above to an MPG file but cannot to
> a Direct Stream Copy. What are the best settings so that VirtualDub
> does a Direct Stream or very similar? I do not want to lose any
> audio/video quality.
>
> BoNeZ

http://www.virtualdub.org/
"VirtualDub is mainly geared toward processing AVI files, although it can
read (not write) MPEG-1 and also handle sets of BMP images."

Rich

BoNeZ wrote:

> I've been experimenting with VirtualDub to see how to cut an
> AVI video into smaller videos. [...] I would think that by
> making the next MarkIn at 101 and saving as Direct Stream
> the next video would start where the first one left off but
> instead the second video kinda starts 5 secords before the
> MarkIn.

What is the actual format of your source video? ("AVI" is only
a container structure; the actual format of the video data
inside an AVI file depends on the codec which was used when
originally saving the video. You can view the codec your video
is using by loading it into VirtualDub and then selecting
"File" -> "File Information..." from the menus.)

> So how can I make it so it doesn't repeat the last 5 seconds
> of the first video and instead start where the first video
> left off?

Sounds like it could be a problem with keyframes. Try using the
keyframe arrows (the buttons with an arrowhead symbol and a
yellow key symbol) to find the places where to cut the video,
instead of cutting by numbers alone.

> Second - I tried to to the same as above to an MPG file but
> cannot to a Direct Stream Copy. What are the best settings
> so that VirtualDub does a Direct Stream or very similar?
> I do not want to lose any audio/video quality.

VirtualDub is not the best tool for processing MPEG files,
especially if you want lossless cutting. Instead, download
a trial version of TMPGEnc at <http://www.tmpgenc.net/>.
Install the program and run it. Close the initial wizard
window and you will find "MPEG Tools" from the menus. The
Merge & Cut tab lets you cut (and merge) MPEG files in a
lossless fashion.

--
znark

Jim

To maintain sync, you probably want to begin and end on a KEYFRAME
instead of an individual frame. Use the little keyframe buttons and
see if that helps. Even though you re selecting an individual frame
the new file is probably starting at a keyframe to maintain sync.

Just a guess on my part.

Jim